IGNORED

36 & awakened souls - The Other Side of Darkness - Feb 13, 2021

jules

A special live stream premiere of The Other Side of Darkness album, including 2 full-length remix LP's from 36 & awakened souls. All artists and the label will be in chat, alongside accompanying visuals. There will also be upfront colored vinyl copies of the album, which are exclusive to ticket holders who attend the event.

https://pitp.bandcamp.com/merch/36-awakened-souls-the-other-side-of-darkness

Looking forward to this!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jules said:

A special live stream premiere of The Other Side of Darkness album, including 2 full-length remix LP's from 36 & awakened souls. All artists and the label will be in chat, alongside accompanying visuals. There will also be upfront colored vinyl copies of the album, which are exclusive to ticket holders who attend the event.

Looking forward to this!

Super hype for this.  Love everything I've heard by 36.  

@brisk Can you tell us a bit about your collaborators here?  Not familiar with awakened souls. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Extralife said:

Super hype for this.  Love everything I've heard by 36.  

@brisk Can you tell us a bit about your collaborators here?  Not familiar with awakened souls. 

Awakened Souls are James Bernard and his wife, Cynthia Bernard (who records solo as marine eyes)

James is a bit of a legend. He used to make techno/trance/idm type stuff in the early 90s. He had some really great tunes like these:

He was also around for the 1994 ambient heyday, when he released the classic Atmospherics

More recently, we've shared a label on A Strangely Isolated Place and that's where we first started talking to each other. He and his wife's Awakened Souls project is really lush. They wrote a song called Paint The Sky which I reckon was probably the best thing I heard last year. Just an incredibly emotional tune https://awakenedsouls.bandcamp.com/track/paint-the-sky

This is actually 3 albums in one. It has the main album (full collab), a 36 remix album and a James Bernard/marine eyes remix album too. About 2.5 hours in total.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, brisk said:

Awakened Souls are James Bernard and his wife, Cynthia Bernard (who records solo as marine eyes)

James is a bit of a legend. He used to make techno/trance/idm type stuff in the early 90s. He had some really great tunes like these:

He was also around for the 1994 ambient heyday, when he released the classic Atmospherics

More recently, we've shared a label on A Strangely Isolated Place and that's where we first started talking to each other. He and his wife's Awakened Souls project is really lush. They wrote a song called Paint The Sky which I reckon was probably the best thing I heard last year. Just an incredibly emotional tune https://awakenedsouls.bandcamp.com/track/paint-the-sky

This is actually 3 albums in one. It has the main album (full collab), a 36 remix album and a James Bernard/marine eyes remix album too. About 2.5 hours in total.

Wow. Thanks for the reply. Even more hyped to hear this now. 

Btw - Paint The Sky = perfection.

There was this last summer. 

Bernard's Atmospherics has been one of the ambient staples in my life, and Influx's Unique is something I occasionally go back to. There were some ambient albums released on Rising High in the early-to-mid-90s and some of them have carried up until today very well, Atmospherics being one - but there are other great ones as well - e.g. Irresistible Force's Flying High and Global Chillage, MLO's Io, and the completely essential FAX-licensed Pete Namlook & Dr. Atmo's Silence and Pete Namlook & Mixmaster Morris' Dreamfish. I played a lot of Influx and Cybertrax in the 90s, and my absolute favourite Influx track is 2001 from Od EP.

Edited by dcom
  • Thanks 1

BTW, James is sitting on an absolute treasure trove of Influx/Cybertrax stuff from the early 90s. Literal albums worth of unreleased material and completely re-mixed versions of the Rising High records. It's incredible stuff. Hopefully he finds a label willing to release it all as a boxset, cos it needs to be heard.

Oh and here's the limited edition transparent smoke vinyl (only 100 copies of this were made, because the plant is having severe difficulties sourcing transparent vinyl now)

The main run itself will be black.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brisk said:

BTW, James is sitting on an absolute treasure trove of Influx/Cybertrax stuff from the early 90s.

I suppose you're referring to the Unreleased Works on his own label? I'm wondering where all the Rising High material he re-released have disappeared from his Bandcamp, Atmospherics and Unique used to be there, as well as some others - I've heard that Rising High ownership is still actively enforced in relation to e.g. Black Dog Productions EP and Balil's Parasight, which had to be dropped from Trainer due to licensing issues - there was a 4xLP/3xCD test pressing with the Rising High material included, but never released.

Edited by dcom

8 minutes ago, dcom said:

I suppose you're referring to the Unreleased Works on his own label? I'm wondering where all the Rising High material he re-released have disappeared from his Bandcamp, Atmospherics and Unique used to be there, as well as some others - I've heard that Rising High ownership is still actively enforced in relation to e.g. Black Dog Productions EP and Balil's Parasight, which had to be dropped from Trainer due to licensing issues - there was a 4xLP/3xCD test pressing with the Rising High material included, but never released.

Yep! He re-recorded the DAT's I believe and plans to have it all fully remastered. They sound really nice.

Oh and there are some *brand new* Influx remixes on The Other Side of Darkness remix LPs (yes, plural) which come for free with the main album.

I think it's his first completely new material under this alias since the 90s. They're great trax too!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 10:04 AM, jules said:

Looking forward to this!

Bump to remind you all that livestream is tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing some of you guys there.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 1:06 PM, purlieu said:

There's going to be a CD version including the remixes somewhere down the line, I'll be holding out for that. 

There is a 2xCD version on the Bandcamp page now that contains most of the remixes on the second CD:

CD2 Features-
The 'After Dark" remix versions by 36
The ‘Other’ remix versions by awakened souls

After seeing mention of Atmospherics and some of the different Influx releases, but really wanted to mention Bernard's Symphony For A Biomechanical Breakdown release. This was one of my favorite 90s IDM releases and still gets regular play here. Highly recommended if not familiar with his work.

• Like 1

That was fun and the music was amazing. Was able to score the smoke vinyl. Def good to see some watmmers as well. 

All 3 albums are sick. For those of you who haven’t heard it yet, urine for a treat...

Edited by jules
  • Haha 2

Thanks guys. It was a great livestream. Really enjoyed it! The chat went so fast, I had trouble keeping up with it all haha. Congrats to the people who got a copy of the smoke vinyl.. I think they sold out in about 2 minutes...

Anyway, the black vinyl is unlimited and is available to order now, for Monday shipping:

USA: https://pitp.bandcamp.com/album/the-other-side-of-darkness
UK/EU/ROTW: https://www.juno.co.uk/products/36-awakened-the-other-side-of-darkness/812635-01/

The 2xCD version is also available to pre-order now (shipping begins in March for this)

USA: https://pitp.bandcamp.com/album/the-other-side-of-darkness
UK/EU/ROTW:
https://3six.bandcamp.com/merch/the-other-side-of-darkness-2xcd-expanded-edition

37 minutes ago, brisk said:

Congrats to the people who got a copy of the smoke vinyl.. I think they sold out in about 2 minutes...

The Bandcamp release email was delivered (at least to me) at 10:50 PM, and when I got my copy there were 3 left, and I received the purchase verification email at 10:52 PM. My vacillating on the postage almost made my FOMO a reality.

• Like 1