IGNORED

Goldeye 007 Remaster (planned XBOX 360 remaster) has leaked and is fully playable on PC

T3551ER

I know some people will say "this should go in the video games thread" but . HOLY CRAP THIS IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/02/we-have-finally-played-the-lost-official-goldeneye-007-remaster-for-xbox-360/

Some extra tidbits from trawling the interwebs:

- The online multiplayer is not working in the basic download, but people have already figured out a way to make it work (if i understand correctly, this is running on an XBox360 emulator and there are ways to essentially make the "Xbox Link" work across the interwebs

- I'm going to get tons of shit for this from anyone except Goldeneye purists but omfg apparently there is an option for remote splitscreen multiplayer...!!!!!!!!! This is basically a critical piece of the Goldeneye OG multiplayer experience and thanks the gods that whoever was originally working on the remaster realized this. 

• Like 2

I, like most guys who are now past the age of 40, logged one too many an hour back in '97/'98 playing this game. this was the end of the road for me personally on my video game career. 2 or 3 buttons and a d-pad is all my hand-eye coordination is able to handle. I gave one of the newer systems a shot once and was like nah, I just can't take it man.

but regardless of that fact, I would love to bring back some college dorm room memories and play this game again. 

• Like 1

The original N64 version is basically how I spent all of my free time the second half of my 7th grade year. I loved how revolutionary yet janky it was at the same time. The introduction of stealth, reloading, sniper scopes, and loads of real world guns by this game into the FPS genre back in 1997 are part of what make it such a milestone.

Also there's nothing quite like going Slappers Only! in split-screen multiplayer with DK mode on.

30 minutes ago, ambermonke said:

Also there's nothing quite like going Slappers Only! in split-screen multiplayer with DK mode on.

Or knives :biggrin:

My favorite was remote mines in the basement.

• Like 2

I still have random dreams where I'm running around the basement - license to kill in basement was always a fave, as well as any match in the complex. 

I got this up and running last night in single player, played through a bit of the Dam level. A couple of minor hitches on my aging gaming laptop, but otherwise smooth as butter. The best thing I can say is that it feels like Goldeneye you remember. .. just at a higher rez and higher FPS. 

Multiplayer on Xbox software emulators is not working (yet) - looks like people who are online playing are using modded xbox's... just a matter of time though...

On 2/4/2021 at 5:11 AM, T3551ER said:

I still have random dreams where I'm running around the basement - license to kill in basement was always a fave, as well as any match in the complex. 

I got this up and running last night in single player, played through a bit of the Dam level. A couple of minor hitches on my aging gaming laptop, but otherwise smooth as butter. The best thing I can say is that it feels like Goldeneye you remember. .. just at a higher rez and higher FPS. 

Multiplayer on Xbox software emulators is not working (yet) - looks like people who are online playing are using modded xbox's... just a matter of time though...

Before xbox live came about, we used a program called XboxConnect to play Halo online. I imagine something like that should work. Lag could be really horrible, but that was the standard before Halo 2.