IGNORED

Greta Brainskin AMA

brian trageskin

3 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

Nice one, yeah those notes definitely make up A#7 altered, and you're right it's the same scale (from B jazz-minor).  G#mi7b5 itself functions as the ii in a minor ii-V-i in F# minor. The ninth on it is a colour note to emphasize the mode (locrian #2 or whatever: sixth mode of jazz-minor) and is a nice leading tone to the b13 on a C#7alt then going to F#mi9  (A#-A-G#) 

i'll check that out on the keyboard, thx for the info! 

3 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

I forgot to ask if you play guitar or piano, cause I myself only play piano (can't do shit on a guitar) but I am very interested in guitar voicings and "guitar mentality" I guess you coul say lol. 

yeah me too man, guitar voicings can be so hip and ingenious. and pretty. ironically, i've never been drawn to learn the guitar despite the fact that both my brothers and my dad play it. i developed a taste for it only a few years ago, when i started expanding my musical horizons

btw that last bit about my mom was a joke obviously. she would never approve of you

• Sad 1

• 11 months later...
1 minute ago, ghsotword said:

Just do it, there's tons of tutorials for that on Youtube and the basics of it aren't all that complicated

yeah i know, that's not the problem. a mix of fear and extreme laziness is the problem. 

1 minute ago, toaoaoad said:

Fav Coltrane tune?

giant steps and countdown are the only coltrane tunes i know. what's yours?

1 hour ago, brian trageskin said:

yeah i know, that's not the problem. a mix of fear and extreme laziness is the problem. 

the lengths you go to to figure out chord voicings and the terminology for them rules out the laziness theory.  which leaves fear.

• Like 2

quit being such a lazy ass and record some tunes ?

seriously tho - you ever go to any Medeski shows, see Scofield, or similar? like how's the jazz / funk / jam scene over there (maybe before covid)?

long time ago I lived not far from New Orleans, which is how I got into a lot of that. Medeski used to show up all the time, and would put on these type of super jams with random musicians. saw MMW and similar jazz funk jam shows many times back then...so much of it is blurred by alcohol and/or psychedelics though haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zero said:

quit being such a lazy ass and record some tunes ?

you know what's funny? i started to learn harmony because i wanted to improve my music - yeah, i've made music for several years, completely stopped 8 years ago. the very few tunes i made back then didn't go anywhere (several people told me so on watmm) and the production side was non-existent, meaning all i did was put a reverb on this, a chorus on that, a delay and call it a day. i made hundreds and hundreds of loops in reason but only a handful of tunes because i didn't know how to write a tune. then i realized i needed to learn 3 things: production, songwriting and harmony - not that i needed to learn harmony, i just wanted to because i've always loved the thing. 

anyway here i am years later and harmony is one thing i can check off my list. i don't have to worry about that aspect anymore, i'm confident i can write dope chord progressions and melodies now - i still have plenty to learn but i can already write decent stuff with the little knowledge i have. i know a little bit more about songwriting, not a lot though but that's probably the easiest thing to learn out of the 3. production however, i haven't learned a thing and i stopped making music long ago anyway lol. well tbh, i know a bit more about production but i'm completely ignorant as to how to use a DAW. 

all this to say, it's ironic that most EKTers are really skilled at production but completely suck at harmony and songwriting, when i'm basically the next mozart but i couldn't route audio to save my life. kek 

1 hour ago, zero said:

seriously tho - you ever go to any Medeski shows, see Scofield, or similar? 

nope. i saw magma once (top notch), saw metheny (orchestrion tour - top notch, totally owned afx and tom j at the robot orchestra gimmick thing lol) and that's about it. i've been to very few concerts in my life anyway, never been to a festival for example. i hate concerts, too stressful for me. it's probably been 10 years since i last went to a concert. one thing i'd love to do though is go to jazz jam sessions, listen to people improvise irl. fuck yeah. 

1 hour ago, zero said:

long time ago I lived not far from New Orleans, which is how I got into a lot of that. Medeski used to show up all the time, and would put on these type of super jams with random musicians. saw MMW and similar jazz funk jam shows many times back then...so much of it is blurred by alcohol and/or psychedelics though haha

nice! i haven't listened to MMW btw, apart from a go go - which is one of my fav albums as you already know. 

Edited by brian trageskin
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

all this to say, it's ironic that most EKTers are really skilled at production but completely suck at harmony and songwriting, when i'm basically the next mozart but i couldn't route audio to save my life. kek 

lol I am NOT the next mozart and also don't record anything. not due to lack of DAW understanding, but I just don't want to bother. the recording/editing part is such a massive time suck. anyone who makes music knows playing live is the best part. maybe I'll try recording again at some point, like when I'm retired from the rat race.  

1 hour ago, brian trageskin said:

nice! i haven't listened to MMW btw, apart from a go go - which is one of my fav albums as you already know. 

whaaaa? figured you would have been into them since yes I knew you are a Scofield fan.

• Like 1

Writing lyrics that aren't total cringe is the hard part.  (making electronic music became really appealing for this reason.)  Rest is a piece of piss.  

(j/k... I'm always battling some production obstacle with almost every new thing I make)