IGNORED

chromedealer - Self Titled EP/mini album

T3551ER

So, I clicked on a random Reddit link where this artist had posted a "check out my new album, in the vein of Squarepusher/Aphex Twin/etc." or something like that. Usually I just skip stuff like this because it ends up being a pale imitation of greater beings and also usually turned off by people who try to sound like someone else and promote their stuff as such. 

However, I gotta give this album a push, 'cause it fucking slaps. Hard. Definitely get a feel of sort of the Go Plastic era Squarepusher and Aphex here, but really this still feels like a wholly unique voice. Excellent textures with extremely tight drum programming and very masterful sound design. Sort of melancholic/dreamy/jazzy at times too. 

I think what I really like most about this is I feel a genuine, heartfelt connection to the music/emotion. So often when I hear technically excellent work I find it leaves me really cold - like, someone has the technique but not the heart. This has both. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, T3551ER said:

So, I clicked on a random Reddit link where this artist had posted a "check out my new album, in the vein of Squarepusher/Aphex Twin/etc." or something like that. Usually I just skip stuff like this because it ends up being a pale imitation of greater beings and also usually turned off by people who try to sound like someone else and promote their stuff as such. 

However, I gotta give this album a push, 'cause it fucking slaps. Hard. Definitely get a feel of sort of the Go Plastic era Squarepusher and Aphex here, but really this still feels like a wholly unique voice. Excellent textures with extremely tight drum programming and very masterful sound design. Sort of melancholic/dreamy/jazzy at times too. 

I think what I really like most about this is I feel a genuine, heartfelt connection to the music/emotion. So often when I hear technically excellent work I find it leaves me really cold - like, someone has the technique but not the heart. This has both. 

Yeah this is really nice stuff.  Definitely some heart put into these tunes.  Would love to hear more.

Something else that comes to mind is the Lithium Project - I've got the original on Clear from 1998, later (2001) released on Hydrogen Dukebox as Passo Fundo. Moments In Neon is the apogee, the guitar solo @ 6 mins is pure bliss - but the whole release is golden. Highly recommended if you haven't been introduced to it. Which brings me to Metamatics' Raytrax, which I played alongside Moments In Neon - and Photek's T'raenon.

These tracks are seriously way, way up there for me. Listen. Just listen.

But I digress, carry on.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2021 at 4:05 PM, dcom said:

Something else that comes to mind is the Lithium Project - I've got the original on Clear from 1998, later (2001) released on Hydrogen Dukebox as Passo Fundo. Moments In Neon is the apogee, the guitar solo @ 6 mins is pure bliss - but the whole release is golden. Highly recommended if you haven't been introduced to it. Which brings me to Metamatics' Raytrax, which I played alongside Moments In Neon - and Photek's T'raenon.

These tracks are seriously way, way up there for me. Listen. Just listen.

But I digress, carry on.

Took a while to circle back here (apologies) just wanted to say thanks for posting these, they are awesome! Somewhat familiar with Photek but the Lithium Project and Metamatics def new to me... sometimes it's just nuts how much good music there is in the world. Definitely in the same vein of sort of emotive, jazzy influence w/ tight drums.. good shit!