IGNORED

$$$PLUGINS$$$

YEK

I have a bunch of plug ins I like. Some I got via beta testing but many I’ve bought. U-he stuff, cytomic, native instruments, unfiltered audio, Valhalla, plogue, sound hack bundles, k-devices, HY-plug-ins and so on. Also a bunch of max for live stuff. 

is there a thing you’re looking for?

I don't really know. I was kind of set on native instruments stuff but decided against that. 

Thinking about microtonic.

If I paid for a vst it would have to be pretty gassy because my ableton suite has everything I need..  I think.

Highly recommend VCV 2.0, Vital, MGranularMB, Microtonic, Synplant, Algonaut Atlas, Valhalla Room, Nomad Bus driver, Renoise, d16 Devastor in terms of quality/price/affordable.

Other i have paid for but that are more expensive:

Serum (monthly, paid), Sylenth (monthly, paid), Pianoteq Stage, Spitfire BBC orchestra core, Spitfire Sacconi quartet, Spitfire Eric Whitacre choir, Kontakt, Phaseplant (monthly)

Edited by thefxbip

1 hour ago, yekker said:

I quite like it. I use it a lot.

It needs a bit of tweaking but once you get how it works it can make superb kicks and electro style drums and bleeps or glitchy things. Can really shine with a bit of processing.

Also If i had to recommend only a single vst to get it would be Vital. Its free with paid extra stuff. Just get it.

Edited by thefxbip

1 hour ago, thefxbip said:

Also If i had to recommend only a single vst to get it would be Vital. Its free with paid extra stuff. Just get it.

It's better than serum and sylenth?

I beta test for various developers so I might be super biased. I've also bought way too many. Are we discussing soft synths or FX ?

re:Vital: it slays Serum (which sounds so freaking bad, always metallic whatever you do with it). Hive 2's still my fav wavetable based synth around.

I agree with the everything u-he statement, their synths are heads and shoulders above the competition IMO, in terms of sonics, ergonomics and ethics. Can't wait for Zebra 3.

nah, not much spending goin´on. some Wave Arts things for signal processing and 2 synths from Gforce Software. DAWs usually provide what i (think i) need. rest is free and/or abandonware

47 minutes ago, Nil said:

re:Vital: it slays Serum (which sounds so freaking bad, always metallic whatever you do with it)

Haven't had much time to play with Vital yet, but I agree with this sentiment.

But yeah... this is a broad question, man. I use FabFilter plugins on every single track in my projects no matter if it's sound design or music. But that's probably not what you're looking for.

32 minutes ago, Squee said:

... this is a broad question, man. 

Aye - @yekkerwhat is it that you think is lacking in your current setup that you feel the need to purchase something? If you're completely fine as is then save the money and stick with what you've got !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yekker said:

It's better than serum and sylenth?

imho yes

Sound engine is better, layout is better, has faster workflow, is free.

I still use serum quite a bit but Vital would be my clear choice if i had to pick only one.

Edited by thefxbip

10 hours ago, yekker said:

I don't really know. I was kind of set on native instruments stuff but decided against that. 

If I paid for a vst it would have to be pretty gassy because my ableton suite has everything I need..  I think.

microtonic is dope. it's endlessly good and well supported and updated etc. the alternate skins for it are great. 

NI stuff has some bright spots but they will send you a bunch of emails forever promoting Komplete etc.  i still use absynth and FM8 and dabble in reaktor some. 

VCV2 is pretty good but sometimes i don't like the sound of it. but there's so many modules you can find things you like. 

u-he zebra is awesome and V3 will probably be out in like a year which will have a lot more to offer. as is it's excellent though and really one of the best synths for sound design etc. it can do everything really. 

reaktor is also good but you can get in the weeds pretty quickly with it. they do good sales on it though. 

i got the arturia collection as NFR when the arturia rep came to my work years ago. there's some gems in there. the dx7 sounds nice. not wild about the interface though. i like their digital emulations of old things.  i don't like any of the presets though. they all have this sheen to them.. but once you start making changes you can get around that sound. the DX can actually sound pretty nasty. 

zebra is kinda the thing really. if you want one thing to learn well that can make any kind of sound other than granular it's the way to go. 

if you're using ableton and have max 4 live there's some good M4L synths. 

i got UVI Falcon from beta testing and it's really capable and has many types of synthesis in it. good granular engine, drum synthesis etc.. but it's like a big container that you can put things into and the interface turns some people off. but it's lush sounding and has good built in effects and all that. 

if you're gassy for something and have ableton suite w/max 4 live.. there's a bunch of great stuff for sequencing nad fx and all kind of things. 

k-devices, Kentaro, amazing noise, max for cats.. there's good stuff just on ableton's packs page. i think today is the last day of their 25% off sale too. or was it yesterday?

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

Zebralette 3 might happen this summer though. Everything Urs has shared so far (like, that new 1000+ partials "sine based" render engine) about Z3 tech looks stellar. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Squee said:

To be honest though, you’ll be able to create anything you want using Live’s Operator and Wavetable. Learn that and you’re golden. 

yeah. add in a couple of the more esoteric things from the max for live packs and you can go a long way. also, it's not hard to make all kinds of little percussive generators in max4live and drop them into drumracks. 

i do think Zebra is worth grabbing regardless what else exists. it really is so good. 

What's so great about max? I had it when I was using cracked software..now I'm legit. Looks like it's on sale right now.

Do max instruments and effects come with it? What can they do?

4 minutes ago, yekker said:

What's so great about max? I had it when I was using cracked software..now I'm legit. Looks like it's on sale right now.

Do max instruments and effects come with it? What can they do?

you have ableton suite w/max for live? you have BEAP built in if you do. it's a modular synth basically. but there's tons that max can do. you have to build it though.  but if you already have max for live then you can build stuff w/it already using it in live. you can also download/buy the max for live devices and packs from maxforlive.com and ableton and other places. 

2 hours ago, ignatius said:

you have ableton suite w/max for live? you have BEAP built in if you do. it's a modular synth basically. but there's tons that max can do. you have to build it though.  but if you already have max for live then you can build stuff w/it already using it in live. you can also download/buy the max for live devices and packs from maxforlive.com and ableton and other places. 

I'm not very techy but I'm interested and I'd use something already built...

9 hours ago, thefxbip said:

imho yes

Sound engine is better, layout is better, has faster workflow, is free.

I still use serum quite a bit but Vital would be my clear choice if i had to pick only one.

Sounds like Vital is a real CPU hog...

9 hours ago, ignatius said:

i got the arturia collection as NFR when the arturia rep came to my work years ago. there's some gems in there.

zebra is kinda the thing really. if you want one thing to learn well that can make any kind of sound other than granular it's the way to go. 

Yeah the oberheim VA from arturia is pretty good, the filter is very nice, one of the best. If you dont have any analogue synth, this is real good for big classic analogue vibe strings.

I know im in the minority, but Zebra and u-He strangely never truly clicked with me. I find the Zebra interface super annoying. I find them strangely overrated.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, yekker said:

Sounds like Vital is a real CPU hog...

Yeah possibly, i have a decent computer since last year and i now forget about that sometimes. Did you try it? use less voice if it takes to much juice i guess?

But VCV lol

Now THAT is a fucking CPU hog it will drain your CPU like crazy if you dont have something beefy. Heaviest music software i have used. Couldnt use it on my laptop. Dont bother with it if your computer is not very strong youll just get frustrated with it.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

Yeah the oberheim VA from arturia is pretty good, the filter is very nice, one of the best. If you dont have any analogue synth, this is real good for big classic analogue vibe strings.

I know im in the minority, but Zebra and u-He strangely never truly clicked with me. I find the Zebra interface super annoying. I find them strangely overrated.

Once I started making my own patches in zebra it was obvious to me it was the best sounding soft synth I’ve used. Not that my patches are amazing. It just sounds deep. It’s so capable. I got the plugmon skin for it which is a better interface imo. But interfaces can turn people off of course and I’ve had that experience with other things. 

I haven’t checked out the oberheim that arturia did. I’ve played an SEM module and an oberheim two voice though and they’re the “sweetest” sounding synths I’ve played. They never sound bad no matter what I did they just sounded so musical and lush. I kick myself for not buying the sem module when he reissued them some years back. They’re like $3k now or something dumb. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ignatius said:

Once I started making my own patches in zebra it was obvious to me it was the best sounding soft synth I’ve used. Not that my patches are amazing. It just sounds deep. It’s so capable. I got the plugmon skin for it which is a better interface imo. But interfaces can turn people off of course and I’ve had that experience with other things. 

I haven’t checked out the oberheim that arturia did. I’ve played an SEM module and an oberheim two voice though and they’re the “sweetest” sounding synths I’ve played. They never sound bad no matter what I did they just sounded so musical and lush. I kick myself for not buying the sem module when he reissued them some years back. They’re like $3k now or something dumb. 

Yeah ive played the SEM two voice in a synth shop. Hell of a beast.

The SEM from arturia has one of the closest sound to analogue that ive tried. I own a matrix 6r and last time i tried the Arturia (been a few years) it was quite good and close to the Oberheim spirit.

Yeah i guess its one of those things with Zebra...i did use it a bit to make some colundi stuff but the damn interface just turns me off. It has a quite unique sound i must say but it didnt clicked with me like Vital, Absynth, Serum, Synplant did.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1