IGNORED

Calling all Drummers

Rubin Farr

Lots of keyboard and software enthusiasts on here, anyone else come from a history of pounding the skins? If you play(ed) the first instrument man created, stand up and be heard! Maybe even post a picture of your setup.

• Like 3

Yeah started as a trombone player then quickly went to drums. Dumb metalhead teenager who could never play particularly great. Eventually had to sell kit due to living in apartments/lack of space and a place to play. Picked up a Roland SPD-30 a few years back to try and get some chops back. That has been really fun, still not that great at it though ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Taupe Beats said:

Yeah started as a trombone player then quickly went to drums. Dumb metalhead teenager who could never play particularly great. Eventually had to sell kit due to living in apartments/lack of space and a place to play. Picked up a Roland SPD-30 a few years back to try and get some chops back. That has been really fun, still not that great at it though ?

Weird, my very first band in high school had a drummer who started playing trombone in a polka band in middle school and then switched to hi-hat, snare and metal buckets when we started our new band.  Is there some kind of trombone -> drums pipeline?

Our second bass player was also a recovering trombonist.

I got free private drum lessons from Ron Savage in 11th and maybe 12th grade, and private tabla lessons in the summer of 2001 before my money ran out (Jerry Leake wasn't cheap, I basically went throgh half the money I'd made from doing the sound design for a terrible indie movie on weekly lessons from him, and then when winter hit the dry air cracked one of the drums and I didn't have the money to replace it or keep taking lesons so I quit) but I'm not a drummer.

Ron was one of the nicest guys I've met, and super in to Star Trek back then which was always funny.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

I wouldn't say I was a drummer but I used to have a kit which I tried to teach myself on, and which I used to record songs with. I wouldn't be good enough to play on whole set on drums but could muddle through something which sounded passable and edit around it later. I must say out of all the instruments I have played, drums is by far the most fun. More like a workout where you can switch your brain off and feel connected to the music. Theres something exhilarating and satisfying about nailing a tricky fill that you can't really get playing a synth or a guitar which are slighly more cerebral.

I’m indeed a drummer. Got my first snare around age 9 and first kit at 10. Been in MANY bands and played loads of gigs… including a few in Tokyo! 
Even though I also play guitar, bass and keyboards (and consider myself a pretty good guitar player), drums are still probably my main instrument. I play hard and loud. I currently have 2 kits: my 1980s black Pearl Export (my first kit, kinda in pieces atm) and a white sparkle Gretsch Catalina Club with a whopping 18”x26” bass drum. 
Sadly, I haven’t really played drums in about 4 years. Having a baby early in the pandemic had a lot to do with that. 

Some of my favorite drummers:

Chuck Biscuits, Bonham, Mike Bordin, Zach Hill, Brian Chippendale, Zigaboo Modeliste, Ringo, Grohl, Tony Allen, Hunt Sales, Dennis Davis, Nick Mason, Bill Ward, Mitch Mitchell, Colm Ó Cíosóig, Steven Adler, Keith Forsey, Daniel Fichelscher, Gregory Coleman.

Spoiler

This felt like posting in the “Musicians” section on Craigslist ?

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TubularCorporation said:

Weird, my very first band in high school had a drummer who started playing trombone in a polka band in middle school and then switched to hi-hat, snare and metal buckets when we started our new band.  Is there some kind of trombone -> drums pipeline?

I got free private drum lessons from Ron Savage in 11th and maybe 12th grade, and private tabla lessons in the summer of 2001 before my money ran out (Jerry Leake wasn't cheap, I basically went throgh half the money I'd made from doing the sound design for a terrible indie movie on weekly lessons from him, and then when winter hit the dry air cracked one of the drums and I didn't have the money to replace it or keep taking lesons so I quit) but I'm not a drummer.

Ron was one of the nicest guys I've met, and super in to Star Trek back then which was always funny.

Great history! My high school drumline included a guy I helped a little who became the percussion director for Blue Man Group, and now directs the Avatar attractions at Walt Disney World, he’s amazing. His brother is now the band director at our old school, keeping it in the family.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Great history! My high school drumline included a guy I helped a little who became the percussion director for Blue Man Group, and now directs the Avatar attractions at Walt Disney World, he’s amazing. His brother is now the band director at our old school, keeping it in the family.

I completely forgot until reading this that I auditioned for Blue Man Group in the late 90s and actually got called back! Didn’t get the job tho ?

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TubularCorporation said:

Not sure about the trombone. I have seen a far more steady connection between ex-drummers becoming dj's though. Which makes sense. Beatmatching gives a similar satisfaction to providing a good groove in a performance.

Snagged one of these like new in the box out of the trash, so I guess I'm a drummer again.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/W1084--jumbie-jam-steel-drum-with-tabletop-stand-silver

If I don't post for a while don't worry, I'll just be wastin away in Margaritaville

SOMIPIK7KNFLJCWCVPSZDAIVDY.jpg

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1