IGNORED

Guitar Gas (or any content related to guitars)

Thinking about taking a break from making music with synths and drum machines as a hobby, but I still want to have something musical that is quick to plug, play, and practice. Used to play guitar as a youngster and am thinking of selling one of my synths to finance a guitar. Had a Mexican telecaster back in the day and want another tele. Did some research and watched a bunch of demos, and this one caught my eye, the Jason Isbell telecaster. Mexican made, but I read of some people reviewing it and playing it without an amp, saying that the whole body resonated very nicely when strumming. Has a nice worn in look that I like too. The Isbell guy is like a pop country kind of player, but I watched some demos of him playing it with a slide and it sounded awesome:

FENDER JASON ISBELL CUSTOM TELECASTER, 3-Colour Chocolate Burst - Kitarapaja

Have not seen any guitar threads on here, curious if anyone here plays or has any general advice for getting back into things with guitar. Pros and cons of playing guitar for fun and trying to improve technique and musicality? I am not planning on getting an amp to start with, because I have some good simulations on my computer. Definitely want to get a loop pedal, though.

Edited by decibal cooper
photo formatting
  • Like 4

Can’t go wrong with a Tele!

I play, have been trying to get good for 31 years, but at least it’s still fun.

A few years ago I was getting into metal again and decided to take lessons for a few months to work on technique and fundamentals — it helped a lot. No more wrist pain after tremolo picking for more than 5 minutes.

I have a decent solid state Orange amp and a pedal board that I’ve put together over the past 10 years, and I love it to death, but it doesn’t agree with my current apartment situation.  Fortunately, amp modelers are great now. I’ve got some Neural DSP stuff on my iMac and it sounds great and makes laying down tracks almost too easy. Now I just need to finish one for once. 

On my 40th birthday a few years ago I had a mid life crisis and bought myself a nice 7-string. 14 year old me would have approved, and it made me happy to make him happy. It’s stupid and I love it. 

Edited by baph
  • Like 1

IMG_6952.png?ex=662ca24a&is=662b50ca&hm=

This is my pal

Got him for £1 from a bootsale in 2002 or 03. The guy I bought him from said he hadn't been tuned in ten years, so that's now 30+yrs of not touching those pegs.

3/4 acoustic that somebody strung with steel strings, so the whole body is now banana shaped. Am missing both a string and a fret.

His tone is gorgeous, like dusty, woody, vibrating walnuts.

• Like 2

Use to try to play, never got particularly good, never mastered not being able to look at my hands while playing so wrecked my back from hunching over guitars, my brother in law owns a guitar shop, was considering trying to start playing again

I had a quadraverb rack that was apparently once owned by The Edge, I expect a Blue Peter Badge for that some day 🤣

• Haha 1

been playing guitar on and off since '92. all the radio popular grunge/alternative music back then is what drew me in to want to learn how to play. I peaked in high school back in like '95 when I was in a prog metal band, it's been all downhill since then 😆

I don't consider myself a great player at all. I can keep up, but am no virtuoso. I've always been of the mindset that coming up with a good melody on the instrument is more important than technical ability. coming up with 3-4 note / chord melodies and figuring out where to go from there is more fun for me than being able to solo my ass off at 180bpm.

in high school I played an Ibanez with Marshall amps. later on I got a Fender Strat with a Roland Jazz chorus amp. sold it all many years ago. a few years back I wanted to get back into guitar but not spend a ton of money on it. bought an ESP EC-256 because I liked the look, and it plays fairly well for a low/mid priced guitar. have an Orange solid state practice amp that I run through a mixer. the line out on the Orange has 4x12 cabinet simulation that sounds pretty decent through monitors. got a pedal board with 9 pedals. my recommendation on pedals - since you'll eventually go there - is get a noise gate, loop, chorus, and reverb for the starters. then add on whatever else you can afford after those basic ones... I try and stay away from computers as much as possible when it comes to music making. I record stuff on a zoom multi track.

• Like 2

I've got a Tokai AST-'62 sunburst w/ 12/52s, and an Ibanez Universe UV-70P w/ 9/46s. Not a virtuoso either, but I know my way around the fretboard. Haven't played for a while because reasons, so I'm probably very rusty and would skin my fingertips immediately. Should get back to it, really, and not just fool around with synths. I'm a big fan of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Tony Macalpine, Yngwie Malmsteen, Guthrie Gowan, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Frank Zappa and the like - recently got into Polyphia and their extremely technical playing.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 2

This channel appeared in my youtube feed shortly after I opened this thread.  Very guitar:

(Not me, for anyone wondering.  I play a Fender Jazzmaster, and not like that.)

• Haha 1