IGNORED

drukqs

Guest felttipen

Guest HokusPoker
What interview Hokus, cant say I've ever read that and I thought I'd read them all at least once.

I doubt it means drugs, although thats not to say there isn't some correlation there...He's stated before that he doesn't like adding to the glamorizing of drug use by waving his hands about. Why would be blatantly label an album 'Drugs' then?

My guess is he picked a name cleverly similar to Drugs to see how blown out of proportion and misinterpreted it would get. I mean come on, its DRUKQS, anyone who concludes that it MUST really mean drugs based solely on the content of the album or some interpretation of his character is just off in space.

Thats like drawing the conclusion that Yellow Submarine is a secret message confirming that your in a safe spot because your "submerged beneath the awareness of the outside world.".

Groove Interview (http://That Other Site™.com/nostalgia/aphextwin.nu/v4/learn/100278602030994.shtml) says:

Was bedeutet "Drukqs" - der Titel deines neuen Albums?

Ich überlasse es den Leuten, sich was zu überlegen. Aber mir ist wichtig zu sagen, dass es nicht "Drug" bedeutet. Alle sagen "Oh, es heißt ‚drugs' oder ‚drug use'" oder so, aber das tut es nicht. Es bedeutet tatsächlich etwas, ich will aber nicht verraten was.

In English, that's:

I let people make their own thoughts. But it's important for me to say, that it doesn't mean "Drug". Everybody is like: "Oh, it's drugs or drug use", or something, but it isn't. It actually has got a meaning, but I won't tell you what it is.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 years later...

i think he was gonna call it shroomzqs but it sounded gay

Hahah, lol. You're a funny guy Mr Ooze. 'Shroomzqs'. :biggrin:

And plz go into detail about being off your napper on drugs while listening to Drukqs, I'm sure it would be amusing one way or another.

Guest Helper ET

im glad other people are still as excited about this album as i am. ten years, went by pretty quick. looking at it with a kind of black and white perspective, i think its the greatest album of all time. and if it isnt, some of tracks on that album is THE best music ever made. ive spent years trying to find another artist that can make music that good. so far, my mission has been unsuccessful, ten fucking years later. its just......so good. i think ive probably had hundreds of experiences with drugs and drukqs. the music, its just so amazing!

oh man, i have too many special memories about this album to post. one of the more humorous ones was back in 07. i had for years been trying to get my bro into electronic music. he kind of liked it, but couldnt realize why i was so obsessed with it. then one night, we were knifing hits on the stove. we got really high really quick. i felt so fucking crazy, like in an almost spiritual way. it was indescribable. it was time, i knew it, i was going to make my bro love aphex. i made a quick little 3 track playlist with vordhosbn, omgyjya switch7, and cock/ver10. we turned off the lights, and sat on the couch in front of his awesome stereo and blasted it out. it was intense. 15 minutes later, as the tracks finished, i look over to find my brother crying, and he looks over at me, and murmurs, "i get it now". he has since, forgot it, but for that one moment in time, when my brother and i were high as fuck, he knew the truth

other strange experiences of mine with drugs and drukqs, are really weird things. like sometimes i feel like im so into it become the music, like my consciousness is one with the music. its kind of disturbing actually. greatest album of all time...

I've recently got myself into a 'drukqs phase'. For the past few weeks, drukqs has constantly been played. I still get a little excited before playing certain tracks. Yep - there really isn't anything else out there quite like it. So much intricate detail combined with a varied amount of emotive qualities from the melodies - especially the piano tracks. It's certainly one of my favourite musical pieces created [so far] - I imagine an album from RDJ which hosts the unreleased 'Metz' and 'Manchester' tracks would compete with drukqs.

im glad other people are still as excited about this album as i am. ten years, went by pretty quick. looking at it with a kind of black and white perspective, i think its the greatest album of all time. and if it isnt, some of tracks on that album is THE best music ever made. ive spent years trying to find another artist that can make music that good. so far, my mission has been unsuccessful, ten fucking years later. its just......so good. i think ive probably had hundreds of experiences with drugs and drukqs. the music, its just so amazing!

Couldn't agree more... I'm still hunting for said music that touches similar grounds in quality and I still haven't had that thirst quenched :(

Couldn't agree more... I'm still hunting for said music that touches similar grounds in quality and I still haven't had that thirst quenched :(

Well, it's Aphex after all. But I can understand you. Drukqs really has that something, especially the tracks such as Vordhosbn, Mt. Saint Michel Mix-St. Michaels Mount, Meltphace 6 and Ziggomatic V17, with those complex beat/drum patterns, and at the same time such deep melodies. Then again, Aphex was basically throughout his whole career making a music like that. Think also of The Waxen Pith and Wet Tip Hen Ax. Those two are my personal favourites from ICBYD.

Well, it's Aphex after all. But I can understand you. Drukqs really has that something, especially the tracks such as Vordhosbn, Mt. Saint Michel Mix-St. Michaels Mount, Meltphace 6 and Ziggomatic V17, with those complex beat/drum patterns, and at the same time such deep melodies. Then again, Aphex was basically throughout his whole career making a music like that. Think also of The Waxen Pith and Wet Tip Hen Ax. Those two are my personal favourites from ICBYD.

In a sense, that skill and ability didn't really peak/culminate until Windowlicker came out imo,

the old material is absolutely lovely, you can really hear the warmth of all his machines and whatnot, Windowlicker/Drukqs is the digital edge though, the ultimatum of rapid programming/in depth insanity that one can do with digital mixed with the exact elements he wanted from his machines in a now clearer sounding environment. Drukqs is the nth degree for his music and it'll always be this insanely amazing platform.

After the intensive sessions for drukqs he had to go through to get it done he went straight back to his machines and churned out shitloads of acid he had wanted to make (The Analords), then finally stepping back on the plate with a mixture from everything he'd learned whilst making the Analords + Drukqs and putting out The Tuss material. Nowdays he seems to have rekindled the structures/feels of his much older work and is marring that with the newfound knowledge he has gained from the past decade (on quite a few tunes I've heard live at gigs, but there is also a new element of breaks here with his Manchester/Metz style, I'm not worried one bit and I'll eat up his new album with delight ;) - compared to plenty around here who seem to not want him to release something for fear of it not living up to their wildest expectations. In a sense I think they're correct but at the same time my gut is saying :aphexsign: (my mind is also dreaming up and wishing that Boc have really been spending all this time making an intricate and mindblowing psychedelic experience that only those lads can, I think there is more evidence on the table though to suggest Afx is going to release a belter eventually though... :P)

worst case scenario: he never releases new material, would be annoying but he doesn't owe us anything in truth. It just forces the hand of everyone else to get the finger out and work their asses off (if they want to start hearing better music ;) )

In a sense, that skill and ability didn't really peak/culminate until Windowlicker came out imo,

the old material is absolutely lovely, you can really hear the warmth of all his machines and whatnot, Windowlicker/Drukqs is the digital edge though, the ultimatum of rapid programming/in depth insanity that one can do with digital mixed with the exact elements he wanted from his machines in a now clearer sounding environment. Drukqs is the nth degree for his music and it'll always be this insanely amazing platform.

After the intensive sessions for drukqs he had to go through to get it done he went straight back to his machines and churned out shitloads of acid he had wanted to make (The Analords), then finally stepping back on the plate with a mixture from everything he'd learned whilst making the Analords + Drukqs and putting out The Tuss material. Nowdays he seems to have rekindled the structures/feels of his much older work and is marring that with the newfound knowledge he has gained from the past decade (on quite a few tunes I've heard live at gigs, but there is also a new element of breaks here with his Manchester/Metz style, I'm not worried one bit and I'll eat up his new album with delight ;) - compared to plenty around here who seem to not want him to release something for fear of it not living up to their wildest expectations. In a sense I think they're correct but at the same time my gut is saying :aphexsign: (my mind is also dreaming up and wishing that Boc have really been spending all this time making an intricate and mindblowing psychedelic experience that only those lads can, I think there is more evidence on the table though to suggest Afx is going to release a belter eventually though... :P)

worst case scenario: he never releases new material, would be annoying but he doesn't owe us anything in truth. It just forces the hand of everyone else to get the finger out and work their asses off (if they want to start hearing better music ;) )

Great post. I just wanted to say that he was always capable of making tracks that are both very complex and melodic. The digital era was, however, definitely a further step for him, that's undeniable.

And yes, you said it well, he doesn't owe us anything. He has done more than enough. As a matter of fact, none of artists owe us anything really - it's up to them to decide whether they'll make and/or release music or not. We can be happy for being able to listen to the great music, and also we must try to make our best (music). Then again, easier said than done. :wink:

Also, since you mentioned Boc, I personally wasn't tooimpressed with The Campfire Headphase (compared to their earlier stuff), and would much more prefer if they were to release Old Tunes properly, in the case their next album would go further in the direction of The Campfire Headphase. Not to mention the other ultrarare stuff. This isn't just because this stuff is so hard-to-get (almost impossible), but because this stuff is in my opinion really so brilliant, and deserves a proper release.

it actually is a heavy mangling of the word "trucks." aphex twin famously muttered it while watching cars go by on the street, in some state of chemical enhancement, and it came out more like DRWQKS! but for legibility and marketing reasons, obvious phoenetic substitutions were made.

I love this guy, he was aldready trolling hard back in 2006.

oh man, i have too many special memories about this album to post. one of the more humorous ones was back in 07. i had for years been trying to get my bro into electronic music. he kind of liked it, but couldnt realize why i was so obsessed with it. then one night, we were knifing hits on the stove. we got really high really quick. i felt so fucking crazy, like in an almost spiritual way. it was indescribable. it was time, i knew it, i was going to make my bro love aphex. i made a quick little 3 track playlist with vordhosbn, omgyjya switch7, and cock/ver10. we turned off the lights, and sat on the couch in front of his awesome stereo and blasted it out. it was intense. 15 minutes later, as the tracks finished, i look over to find my brother crying, and he looks over at me, and murmurs, "i get it now". he has since, forgot it, but for that one moment in time, when my brother and i were high as fuck, he knew the truth

other strange experiences of mine with drugs and drukqs, are really weird things. like sometimes i feel like im so into it become the music, like my consciousness is one with the music. its kind of disturbing actually. greatest album of all time...

He was just desperate because you wouldnt stop bothering him with aphex, then when you turned on the lights he just gave you some bullshit

does anyone here believe that the title and the album has nothing to do with taking drugs. i just want to know if anyone tought that it doesnt

druk qs means press qs in dutch

press quits

Archived