IGNORED

drukqs

Guest felttipen

im glad other people are still as excited about this album as i am. ten years, went by pretty quick. looking at it with a kind of black and white perspective, i think its the greatest album of all time. and if it isnt, some of tracks on that album is THE best music ever made. ive spent years trying to find another artist that can make music that good. so far, my mission has been unsuccessful, ten fucking years later. its just......so good. i think ive probably had hundreds of experiences with drugs and drukqs. the music, its just so amazing!

oh man, i have too many special memories about this album to post. one of the more humorous ones was back in 07. i had for years been trying to get my bro into electronic music. he kind of liked it, but couldnt realize why i was so obsessed with it. then one night, we were knifing hits on the stove. we got really high really quick. i felt so fucking crazy, like in an almost spiritual way. it was indescribable. it was time, i knew it, i was going to make my bro love aphex. i made a quick little 3 track playlist with vordhosbn, omgyjya switch7, and cock/ver10. we turned off the lights, and sat on the couch in front of his awesome stereo and blasted it out. it was intense. 15 minutes later, as the tracks finished, i look over to find my brother crying, and he looks over at me, and murmurs, "i get it now". he has since, forgot it, but for that one moment in time, when my brother and i were high as fuck, he knew the truth

other strange experiences of mine with drugs and drukqs, are really weird things. like sometimes i feel like im so into it become the music, like my consciousness is one with the music. its kind of disturbing actually. greatest album of all time...

look Richard likes his own music

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My theory is that drukQs is a split-personality infused album. The long drill songs are one personality while the piano and soft percussion bits are another. Could explain why he called it drukqs, referring it to the drugs he has to take for such a disorder he might have?

I doubt this is at all true, but it's just a hypothesis. :D

My theory is that drukQs is a split-personality infused album. The long drill songs are one personality while the piano and soft percussion bits are another. Could explain why he called it drukqs, referring it to the drugs he has to take for such a disorder he might have?

I doubt this is at all true, but it's just a hypothesis. :D

I think he's just always liked the extreme ends of the caustic/ambient spectrum, which is arguably a good thing. Sometimes he even blends both at once to great effect in a single track, such as with The Garden of Linmiri and On.

The quiet tracks also help give your ears and brain a rest after the hectic ones, but then they somewhat make it seem less cohesive... So I guess you could see it as a good or bad thing...

does anyone here believe that the title and the album has nothing to do with taking drugs. i just want to know if anyone tought that it doesnt

druk qs means press qs in dutch

press quits

or press questions.. which is what the name elicited, lol

I suppose it could just be another social experiment. He called it drukqs to see how many assinine explanations everyone would come up with, how many crazy interpretations of him and his entire life and discography blah blah blah everyone may come up with?

I'm not trolling, it just seems to be his style. Like he would check here for example and see all this stuff we've written and say ... man these blokes are crazy. lol

When ultimately it's never the title with his music that is important it's the content, as is shown by albums like SAW2.

I guess that's probably what he was getting at partially by naming his songs in cornish? Anyone can throw it into a translator and find the english translation but ultimately even when finding the english translation of the track name I felt no different.

I dunno really. Just throwing it out there.

does anyone here believe that the title and the album has nothing to do with taking drugs. i just want to know if anyone tought that it doesnt

druk qs means press qs in dutch

press quits

12 Aphex Twin fanboys were about to drink cyanide after reading your post before realizing there was the tuss and analord after drukqs.

Anyways my theory is .. D (da) ru (russian) kqs (kings/queens)

I suppose it could just be another social experiment. He called it drukqs to see how many assinine explanations everyone would come up with, how many crazy interpretations of him and his entire life and discography blah blah blah everyone may come up with?

I'm not trolling, it just seems to be his style. Like he would check here for example and see all this stuff we've written and say ... man these blokes are crazy. lol

When ultimately it's never the title with his music that is important it's the content, as is shown by albums like SAW2.

I guess that's probably what he was getting at partially by naming his songs in cornish? Anyone can throw it into a translator and find the english translation but ultimately even when finding the english translation of the track name I felt no different.

600full-drukqs-photo.jpg

600full-drukqs-photo.jpg

Ok? I have that too. I don't understand what you're getting at.

I definitely think the album title refers to the idea of 'drugs' in some way. it's too much of a coincedence not to mention the fact that Richard probably took a lot of drugs in his life. just listening to 85-92 I can hear the influence of mushrooms. i think.

that's my take on the drukqs/drugs issue

Drukqs must be his most 'down and out' album, which i've only noticed recently. a lot of the tracks are really sad sounding, despondent. also the compositions are his most mature in all tracks, the sound design and everything. it's like he became self conscious for the Drukqs album of his previous msuic, and became aware of his own importance as an artist and musician. he went from 'kid making crazy tunes' to 'adult composer' or something like that.

i think the title 'drukqs' could be an ironic assessment of his previous work and a reframing of where he was heading... a referece to a new self awareness

this could all be bullshit though

I've recently got myself into a 'drukqs phase'. For the past few weeks, drukqs has constantly been played. I still get a little excited before playing certain tracks. Yep - there really isn't anything else out there quite like it. So much intricate detail combined with a varied amount of emotive qualities from the melodies - especially the piano tracks. It's certainly one of my favourite musical pieces created [so far] - I imagine an album from RDJ which hosts the unreleased 'Metz' and 'Manchester' tracks would compete with drukqs.

i've been doing the same thing. it's better now than it was before, and i loved it already.

Drukqs must be his most 'down and out' album, which i've only noticed recently. a lot of the tracks are really sad sounding, despondent. also the compositions are his most mature in all tracks, the sound design and everything.

Agreed. I think there's a lot of melancholy in Drukqs and his subsequent releases. Around about the Come to Daddy era, he really starts to get good at production, too. The fast Drukqs tracks have quite a few layers in them that you don't really notice until you start looking for them, such as ambient background noises that rise and fall with the ebb and flow of the more prominent aspects of the music. You just get the impression that every few seconds of some of those tracks is the result of maybe an hour's worth of work in each of its layers. It's quite inspirational to hear the result of so much obvious hard work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question..

For the song Taking Control...

Is that supposed to be Stephen Hawking taking control of AFX's drum machine? lol

Since Stephen Hawking is the crazy physics guy that's like..... him doing crazy physics shit with the drum machine lol.

It sure sounds like it with the robot voice dealy.

Sorry my explanation here is shit, but you get my idea.

Question..

For the song Taking Control...

Is that supposed to be Stephen Hawking taking control of AFX's drum machine? lol

Since Stephen Hawking is the crazy physics guy that's like..... him doing crazy physics shit with the drum machine lol.

It sure sounds like it with the robot voice dealy.

Sorry my explanation here is shit, but you get my idea.

My take on it is that there is a midi control/vox synth machine that became cognizant of it's situation and started fucking around with the sequence and changing patches on itself and the drum machine and other synths it was connected to via midi commands. My theory is this actually happened to aphex while he was dreaming making music and then decided to turn it into a track from memory.

unrelated but where better to post than this being dug up... here goes. I've been trying to get my new roomate (best-friend since I was 6) into Aphex Twin for awhile and he appreciates most and has been familar with a few albums like RDJ and CTD since they came out. He was listening to drukqs, the track 'Mt Saint Michel+Saint Michaels Mount' more specifically the other day, when he called me into his room and told me that he recognizes a sound from a game. Sure enough it sounds legit to me, the Atari game 'Star Wars' from 1983, the gun blasts sound as tho they were sampled, listen after 10 seconds in on the video game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT8dQDFKQac

some of you may recognize it before listening to 'Mt Saint Michel+Saint Michaels Mount' you'll hear it after 2:05 or so in. it's a little harder for me to hear it on the youtube version, so if you have a high quality version play it yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FMccwa-0vA

Archived