IGNORED

My Warehouse Project adventure...

Sam

So. My friends and I travel over to Manchester from Dublin to see Autechre. We'd been up since 3 in the morning and got to the venue at about 10:30, having been drinking for a few hours. We waited, and waited, and waited......the time seemed to be taking forever to pass. The booze was extortionally expensive and all you could taste was dry ice in your mouth. There was still a really cool atmosphere though, and everyone I talked to was very friendly.

Anyhow, after waiting an aeon for AE it was finally 2:20. I realised I had a piss welling up inside me and didn't want to miss any of their set, so I legged it out the front to take a whizz. Now there was a few pre-fab toilets set up around the back, but I didn't want to risk having to negotiate a queue and miss the start of AE, so I took a piss behind a pre-fab that was right outside the main door of the venue, behind which there was a small recession where i couldn't really be seen. After finishing my piss, I walked out and within seconds I felt arms looping in around my own. The bouncers were kicking me out :O

There was no talking to them, and they hand over to a few bobbies who were outside the venue. I couldn't believe this was happening.....my twenty-second birthday present, a trip to manc to see ae, was crumbling before my eyes....and I knew Ae were coming on ANY SECOND.

The main bobby, was had a huuuge helmet on with a giant crest on it, was getting REEEEALLLY pissed off at me trying to talk my way back in, and bounced me off his humongous belly and shouted "FUCK OFF or you'll be in the back of that FUCKING VAN!!!!".......

So I had to figure out how to sneak in. There was a fence lining the front of the venue, behind which was a line of very thick bushes. They were the dangerous kind of fences aswell> http://www.designbuild-network.com/contrac...isade_fence.jpg

I managed to pull myself over, and realised when I landed that on the other side it was pretty much pure thorns. I forced my way through the thorns for about 75-100 feet and then hit a dead end :(

So I turned back around and repeated the ordeal. Suffice to say I got scraped to fuck >:I

So, at this stage Autechre had definitely started, and I felt like balling me eyes out, haha....I went around the back of the venue up a short road and could see over the fence in to the yard at the back of the warehouse. It was PISSING rain at this stage. At the end of the yard was a big wall which met the fencing. The road sloped up so that the side of the wall I was on was only a few feet high, but on the other side was a 15-20 foot drop. I pulled myself up over the wall and had to squeeze between the barbed wire and get a hold of two of the fence slats. I put my weight against the barbed wire, which luckily didn't cut through my hoodie, and slid down the railings. I was now half way in!

So I was now on top of a thin ledge which ran 150 foot down to the back of the warehouse, so I shimmied like a crab down to the end of the wall and met a load of piping and machinery. I monkeyed my way over the machinery and managed to get over the barricade, almost knocking it over in the process. I got on top of one of the pre-fab toilets and lay down flat in the pissing rain, terrified of being caught. I snook over the roofs of the toilets and called down to a lad going for a piss and he helped down. VICTORY!!!

I walked quickly back in to the venue and disappeared in to the crowd, finding my mates and having only missed the first ten minutes. The set was the same as Glasgow, and, although it was a great set, we couldn't see a bloody thing of Booth/Brown, and there was a ridiculous amount of dry ice shrouding the stage.

The sound was so so. Cool set either way, and I scored a cute manc bird who I had been trying to get stuck in to before I got kicked out.

So, an eventful night!

The moral of the story is: make sure you've gone for a piss well in advance of an AE set and make sure you do it in allocated toilet.

So. My friends and I travel over to Manchester from Dublin to see Autechre. We'd been up since 3 in the morning and got to the venue at about 10:30, having been drinking for a few hours. We waited, and waited, and waited......the time seemed to be taking forever to pass. The booze was extortionally expensive and all you could taste was dry ice in your mouth. There was still a really cool atmosphere though, and everyone I talked to was very friendly.

Anyhow, after waiting an aeon for AE it was finally 2:20. I realised I had a piss welling up inside me and didn't want to miss any of their set, so I legged it out the front to take a whizz. Now there was a few pre-fab toilets set up around the back, but I didn't want to risk having to negotiate a queue and miss the start of AE, so I took a piss behind a pre-fab that was right outside the main door of the venue, behind which there was a small recession where i couldn't really be seen. After finishing my piss, I walked out and within seconds I felt arms looping in around my own. The bouncers were kicking me out :O

There was no talking to them, and they hand over to a few bobbies who were outside the venue. I couldn't believe this was happening.....my twenty-second birthday present, a trip to manc to see ae, was crumbling before my eyes....and I knew Ae were coming on ANY SECOND.

The main bobby, was had a huuuge helmet on with a giant crest on it, was getting REEEEALLLY pissed off at me trying to talk my way back in, and bounced me off his humongous belly and shouted "FUCK OFF or you'll be in the back of that FUCKING VAN!!!!".......

So I had to figure out how to sneak in. There was a fence lining the front of the venue, behind which was a line of very thick bushes. They were the dangerous kind of fences aswell> http://www.designbuild-network.com/contrac...isade_fence.jpg

I managed to pull myself over, and realised when I landed that on the other side it was pretty much pure thorns. I forced my way through the thorns for about 75-100 feet and then hit a dead end :(

So I turned back around and repeated the ordeal. Suffice to say I got scraped to fuck >:I

So, at this stage Autechre had definitely started, and I felt like balling me eyes out, haha....I went around the back of the venue up a short road and could see over the fence in to the yard at the back of the warehouse. It was PISSING rain at this stage. At the end of the yard was a big wall which met the fencing. The road sloped up so that the side of the wall I was on was only a few feet high, but on the other side was a 15-20 foot drop. I pulled myself up over the wall and had to squeeze between the barbed wire and get a hold of two of the fence slats. I put my weight against the barbed wire, which luckily didn't cut through my hoodie, and slid down the railings. I was now half way in!

So I was now on top of a thin ledge which ran 150 foot down to the back of the warehouse, so I shimmied like a crab down to the end of the wall and met a load of piping and machinery. I monkeyed my way over the machinery and managed to get over the barricade, almost knocking it over in the process. I got on top of one of the pre-fab toilets and lay down flat in the pissing rain, terrified of being caught. I snook over the roofs of the toilets and called down to a lad going for a piss and he helped down. VICTORY!!!

I walked quickly back in to the venue and disappeared in to the crowd, finding my mates and having only missed the first ten minutes. The set was the same as Glasgow, and, although it was a great set, we couldn't see a bloody thing of Booth/Brown, and there was a ridiculous amount of dry ice shrouding the stage.

The sound was so so. Cool set either way, and I scored a cute manc bird who I had been trying to get stuck in to before I got kicked out.

So, an eventful night!

The moral of the story is: make sure you've gone for a piss well in advance of an AE set and make sure you do it in allocated toilet.

very good story! i ideally would have done the same thing but i might have just called it a night. that took a lot of balls! did you wink at the bouncers while walking out or did you tery to avoid them?

very good story! i ideally would have done the same thing but i might have just called it a night. that took a lot of balls! did you wink at the bouncers while walking out or did you tery to avoid them?

Naturally, I tried to avoid them. My friend threw me a rasta beanie once I got back in to wear as "a disguise" :grin:

I legged it out pretty fast when I was leaving, was pretty scared of the idea of gettin fucked in the back of a van.

Some pics.....

Myself and Birofunk doing our booth/brown impression (that's me on the right)

20831345a2669911030b430161165l.jpg

Warehouse @ approx. 11pm

20831345a2669916114b473874808l.jpg

Autechre>

20831345a2669916422b476433783l.jpg

20831345a2669923317b834170271l.jpg

20831345a2669923398b160732381l.jpg

bastard security took my last joint

Unfair it may be, but consider yourself lucky you can smoke inside the venue! Us poor micks have to sacrifice a song every time we want a smoke :sad:

Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD
my twenty-second birthday present

my birthday present! my precious! :happy:

good story!

• 3 weeks later...
Myself and Birofunk doing our booth/brown impression (that's me on the right)

Cringetastic

Heard they were still playin the old 2005 set a the Warehouse. They're milkin that thing to hell. They've milked the life out of that set, surely they must have a little new material in the bag soon!

Yeah, I'd have to agree. It's an absolutely killer set, but it does surprise me that they are still playing it. I'd love to hear them do some more broken up set lists like Coachella Valley set or the London set with Mcr quarter in it.

Archived