IGNORED

Original happy cycling

Dragon

According to the BBC website, the track "Happy Cycling" on the Peel Session/MHTRTC was originally called "Bad Day".

Either they made a mistake, or they changed the name of the track for some reason.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/sessi...boardsofcanada/

They already made a track called "Happy Cycling", and "Bad Day" kinda fits the song as well.....

I'm not so sure. Your theory could be right. BoC could also have announced a tracklist to the BBC before they did the show with Bad Day in it. Then later on they changed the tracklist and put in Happy Cycling instead.

Actually, that does make sense.

Also, they've probably done a LOT of tracks we haven't heard (the OT tapes are the tip of the iceberg...) so chances are they would've given a track the same name as an earlier track at some point...

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper
I agree, sounds more like they changed their original playlist.

this makes me wonder about this Bad Day track. If it was so very finished, might it have been released under another name? what about Happy Cylcing?

Happy Cycling certainly sounds like a bad day. You're on a cycling trip, you don't know how to ride, and even the seagulls are laughing at you.

The original sounds more like a little mix-up before "House Of Abin'adab" gets you drowning like a hen.

Guest Moebius

I can't help but wonder what other little odds and ends of BoC's visit with John Peel are tucked away in the BBC archives somewhere.

The BBC have everything, and I mean EVERYTHING archived. Even your mom's diary.

Hopefully, Chris Morris's project on "that suicide bombers thing" will include something by BoC that we haven't heard yet.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Moebius
The BBC have everything, and I mean EVERYTHING archived. Even your mom's diary.

Except from the 60s and 70s when they used to wipe their tapes... :ohmy:

• 2 years later...

if anyone had it it'd be freely available all over the place like the Old Tunes tapes. that it isn't means that none willing to share has it.

if anyone had it it'd be freely available all over the place like the Old Tunes tapes. that it isn't means that none willing to share has it.

That's pretty flawed logic. I did find a few links from like last year but they had all expired. Granted though that I didn't find a single threat that would verify it's not a fake. Still, how many of even the most die-hard BOC fans know about the existence of this track? I don't know if I'd call myself a die-hard one, but I think I've got every single legit thing they have except for this one, whose existence dawned on me some days ago.

Just to elaborate, I'm referring to what was broadcast when the Peel session aired. Not the Old Tunes version.

It's Happy Cycling. It's always been that (to our knowledge). That 'bad day' track name is probably like the track names given to the Autechre Peel Session (#2) tracks before they had official names...

Ah alright. It's this bit at bocpages that intrigued me:

The version of Happy Cycling that we see on this release is not the same as what was actually broadcast, here we find the polished version that also appears as an extra track on Music Has The Right To Children and the broadcast version formerly known as Bad Day being dropped.

(http://bocpages.org/wiki/Peel_Session)

Archived