IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Guest Iain C

HEY LOOK I'VE GOT BODILY FUNCTIONS AND STUFF. HEY HAVE I SHOCKED YOU YET?

LOL, I'd hoped this would be ammended to my last post

Edited by Iain C

huh? it's anything but? Depressing maybe, though I don't think so with Karamazov. But Russians are hardly passionless (if that's what you mean by bloodless).

That's also a bit of a funny critique coming from one of the board's more detached-seeming members.

Guest Gary C

McCarthy - The Road

I haven't read anything in a long time in honesty... and I've got at least 5 unfinished books on my shelf, so hopefully this one can keep me entertained and ease me back into it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Iain C

Reading The Black Album by Hanif Kureishi. It's not bad, but I've really got to read the whole thing in the next 24 hours for university work, and I hate rushing novels.

Ugh, Russian literature, so bloodless and depressing.

depressing? most certainly; bloodless? most certainly not. it's no accident that nietzsche, the philosopher of blood*, was a great admirer of dostoyevski.

but perhaps i have no idea what you mean by "bloodless."

*Of all that is written I love only what a man has written with his blood. Write with blood, and you will experience that blood is spirit.

Guest EDGEY

Don't laugh... Anger: Wisdom for Cooling the Flames, Thich Nhat Hanh

There's actually some very amusing stuff in there, like "happy eggs come from happy chickens".

Anger-.jpg

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper

Harlot's Ghost--excellent i'm in your head/politics CIA novel by Norman Mailer.

White Jacket

Giles Goat Boy / Chimera by John Barth. Barth is awesome--check it if you are out of American lit.

Edited by all_purpose_sandpaper

Guest Iain C
Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino

I just finished Blood Meridian a couple days ago

Calvino's the daddy. I'd always had this knowlege at the back of my mind that I should have read If On A Winter's Night A Traveller, then I found a first edition in an Oxfam bookshop on Portobello Road. It was £60 but worth every penny, for charity as well which made it easier to justify. Since then I've become obsessed with him!

Slightly offtopic, but I just found out like a month ago that my uncle has the first american edition of Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce.

But yeah, invisible cities is really great. this is the first book i've read in a while where i don't just read it in the bathroom or before i go to sleep

Edited by Capsaicin

Guest Iain C
Slightly offtopic, but I just found out like a month ago that my uncle has the first american edition of Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce.

That's amazing and brilliant. I've got a couple of other first editions but nothing special or valuable, just minor editions of poetry and stuff like that.

Guest Iain C
Reading The Black Album by Hanif Kureishi. It's not bad, but I've really got to read the whole thing in the next 24 hours for university work, and I hate rushing novels.

Finished it. Pretty enjoyable, not as good as it could have been, too tired to give full opinion, still trying to digest it, have to write 2000 words on it tomorrow, FML.

Guest Mr Salads

I just finished Professor of Desire by Philip Roth. Fucking great book! Roth is so funny and intelligent.

Currently reading The Sermon on the Mount. Digging it a lot.

a-short-history-of-nearly-everything.jpg

I bought the audio book version of this on a long drive to san francisco. It was so fucking perfect! Bryson narrates himself.