IGNORED

Wisp - The Shimmering Hour

Thanks for the tip on Amazon, btw. I just ordered. It seems like all the Sublight stuff they have there is on sale, for some reason.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tibbar
Thanks for the tip on Amazon, btw. I just ordered. It seems like all the Sublight stuff they have there is on sale, for some reason.

probably just trying to get rid of the few remaining copies they have of the stuff. i suspect ill be ordering a few more sublight titles from amazon real soon. next up though, i need to finally snag a copy of building dragons.

if there is an honor beats vinyl someone please direct me towards it.

honor beats was never released on vinyl. nrthndr was, by hymen records.

Guest catsonearth

based on the katabatic ep, i'm definitely pre-ordering this one. sounds class, dude!

EDIT:

did amazon ship some before the release date or did this come out earlier somewhere else? i'm only seeing the option to pre-order on both the US and canadian sites, but it sounds like some of you've had it shipped already. what's the deal?

At first I was a bit "meh" about it, because of too much "Aphex melodies" (whatever that is?) all over the place + beats sounding a bit too "clean" for my taste, all the tracks sounded samey, but now I really like it. It took a couple of listens to get on the right mood. Will buy.

Guest idrn
i think it's pretty cool that such a talented person frequents WATMM

not frequents, originated on!

album launch on friday was wicked to anyone who missed it/ is too far away - was brilliant hearing some of it out in a live setting. at the moment im getting jiggy with the leak though, waiting for the shiny CD...

I guess I like this album overall. It's "nice." Unoffensive. It kinda sucks that the vast majority of good bits are the already-released Katabatic tracks and Teddy Oggie. The Fire Above is very good, but sounds like pieces of different tracks spliced together, which keeps it from being excellent. Without throwing Katabatic on the album, there wouldn't be a lot to speak of. Odd considering how much things got drawn out and how much anticipation was built up.

Wisp's best stuff always had this naive, whimsical quality to it. NRTHNDR is, in my opinion, easily his best release, largely for that reason. Now that he's an "insider," things are starting to sound sanitized and boring.

i don't understand how people can listen to tracks 1-5 and not masturbate furiously?

then katabatic kicks in, more boner.

world rim walker reminds me of fungas flap which can only be a good thing

the shaper reminds me of FF9 which can only be a good thing

look wisp up in the idm dictionary and you'll find hidebehind and the fire above

i don't care for winter of flight that much, but its an outro that fits the album well.

Guest underscore
i don't care for winter of flight that much,

really? I've got the album today and have listened to that a couple times alone. its fucking ace. love the whole album though. the preview really got me anxious to hear "the shaper" and it definitely fucking delivered.

Guest catsonearth

"previewed" the album via soulseek (thanks kokoon!) and i'm feelin' it. on the first few listens i can tell that the album is a lot deeper than can be soaked up in just a few superficial plays. can't wait until the cd ships from amazon so i can bump it in my car for a proper listen. of course, i didn't buy the katabatic EP (just listened to rips on youtube), so i'm not that bothered by the fact that the EP is in the middle of the album.

summoner's hallow is epic. probably my favorite track so far.

i don't know though...i think humplendenbeats is still my overall favorite wisp release. sounds warmer and a little more raw whereas a lot of his releases after that sound a lot more cold, crisp and clean. this is a close second. but who knows...it may be a grower!

EDIT:

i should probably mention that this album and nrthndr are the only two cds i've actually purchased in the last 5 years or so. i guess that says something. (picking up honor beats along with shimmering hour order)

Guest tidbit

so car (while driving?) is ideal place to listen music properly?

anyway, it has some nice bits here and there,

buuut, ..naah.. i cannot imagine listening to this, say next autumn or so

i guess it's just "quite good"

is it just me or is the first track panned too much to the left? i just though my headphones were broken, but then i listened to the other tracks and they sound better

Katabatic is my fav

Guest catsonearth

for me it is. it's one of the only places i'm alone and able to really listen to stuff without a ton of distractions, having to pause to do other things, people interrupting or trying to talk over the tunes. just crank the volume up and rock out. for some reason it gives me more of a connection and memory of the music to associate visual sites to individual tracks. like sometimes the perfect track will come on to match the perfect scenery and from that point on i will always think of that song whenever i see that patch of scenery.

Guest Betty

for me it is. it's one of the only places i'm alone and able to really listen to stuff without a ton of distractions, having to pause to do other things, people interrupting or trying to talk over the tunes. just crank the volume up and rock out. for some reason it gives me more of a connection and memory of the music to associate visual sites to individual tracks. like sometimes the perfect track will come on to match the perfect scenery and from that point on i will always think of that song whenever i see that patch of scenery.

ditto

So I finally ordered a copy of NRTHNDR, which I've been listening to for free for too long. I bought my copy of Honor Beats right when it came out. Once they get here I'll have a complete Wisp collection! (save compilations and nrthndr vinyl)

Guest tidbit

so, traffic isnt a distraction (for me it definitely is)?

anyway, i have enjoyed some tunes while driving, and must admit some tracks really work very well while speeding early in the morning with no other cars on the streets ,, so yes the scenery definitely adds something.. (very much in the same way when travellin with trains and busses)

but hows the sound quality in car.. i mean i usually hear engine noises and other such things (which i do not know anything about),,

yes i know some of you mite have big audio systems in car, but i just dunno..

(i also find quite embarrassing to listen to music in high volumes in a car..)

i just prefer listening thru home speakers, ..and keeping my mouth shut.

keeper of the hills reminds me of my favourite bit of tubular bells. actually if i was to get a bit muso i would say the whole thing is sometimes reminescent of that particular album at least in the use of celticish scales and modal, horizontal composition. this is a good thing.

Archived