IGNORED

Wisp - The Shimmering Hour

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

different words, different meanings....

the writers at Wire are too concerned with nutty experimentalism to be concerned with the structured beauty of this album....

and they hate good stuff.......

Guest Panoptimist

This is one of the best releases I've ever heard. Period.

Considering how I've come to know the label and Wisp's previous work, this album brought together everything for me.

Guest Grizz
why didn't the wire like it? how could you not love teddy oggie and the fire above!?

I think they said it was just standard Rephlex sounding stuff, well executed but nothing all that special to anyone that isn't into that kind of thing. They also said that fans of that sound would be all over it like something that is all up over it.

Got to say I kinda agree on first listen. But hopefully more listens will dispell that

Guest Super lurker ultra V12
Is this going to be available in .mp3 on bleep any time soon? All it is offering right now is CD.

slsk does offer the mp3 version

Guest Betty

I have only listened to the promos so far, so my opinion may be invalid, but I was a little disappointed.

Taken on its own I do like the album but it does seem like a bit of a step down from Building Dragons (which would be one of my top 5 albums of all time). Building Dragons was more epic, complex, innovative and emotionally transportational (lol) but The Shimmering Hour might be better for dancing.

However, I reserve the right to change my assessment in the due course of time or in lieu of a proper listening party or other augmentations of my listener experience. :on2long:

Guest Sir Winston

Hey indie bible Q magazine gave it 4/5 which is all you need to motherfucking know. This shit just got REAL y'all.

Also why is vinyl so behind the CD GODDAMN.

I have only listened to the promos so far, so my opinion may be invalid, but I was a little disappointed.

I was kinda "meh" after the promos (listened to that just once) but I'm really impressed by the 320 MP3's. Might be my favorite Wisp release. Just ordered the CD.

Can someone say more specifically what difference they hear between the promo and official mp3s? What changed to make it sound better to you?

I was kinda "meh" after the promos (listened to that just once) but I'm really impressed by the 320 MP3's. Might be my favorite Wisp release. Just ordered the CD.

my impression changed to

the promo mp3s are recorded in bad way - lots of frequencies missing and the voice saying "wisp - the shimmering hour" over and over again makes it even worse

the 320 are much better - going to buy this when its available at record stores over here

Can someone say more specifically what difference they hear between the promo and official mp3s? What changed to make it sound better to you?

the tracks from the promo are about 30 seconds shorter than the official ones

Guest tibbar

anyone having a hard time getting their hands on honor beats, amazon has it brand new for $9.95

just got mine yesterday

:D

Guest Pilcat

1- Higher bit-rate mp3s (crisper/clearer sound, more depth/immersiveness)

2- No voice-overs (they were seemingly placed at the peak points of each track, breaking the awesome flow)

3- Full length, flows as an album very nicely.

Guest placidburp

Saw Wisp play in Leeds last night, fucking AMAZING!!! Filmed it too so when I get the go ahead I will whack it on the old youtubes!

Archived