IGNORED

Metropolis (1927) Soundtrack

Squee

i was sitting at my piano just then after abong sess, and ive decided im gonna do the whole film, its proper inspired me.

im gonna do two main themes , one for the upperworld and underworld, and write a vast , symphony, i suppose for the whole thing. it seems that giving myself a plot and a theme and something to work with gets me actually working on it more than just sitting and thinking of a piece of music to write from scratch

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whatever.

I am making musics right now actually, but not for the scene :confused:

I'll get to it, I definitely have the one part down, and like one drum pattern. Mine's gonna be fast and bangin'.

Guest splagawaga
i was sitting at my piano just then after abong sess, and ive decided im gonna do the whole film, its proper inspired me.

im gonna do two main themes , one for the upperworld and underworld, and write a vast , symphony, i suppose for the whole thing. it seems that giving myself a plot and a theme and something to work with gets me actually working on it more than just sitting and thinking of a piece of music to write from scratch

its a nice idea to score the whole thing urself but its an epic undertaking. considering that between the people involved with this its 23 parts varying between 3 and 7 mins. doing the full thing by urself will take a while to get right.

have u scored anything before?

will u still complete your music section of this collaboration?

why not just do this project as a test run and then pick a different film to write a full score for?

;)

Im flying along, devised a really cool chordal theme for the upper and under world, one is gleefully unsettling, and the other is dark as fuck, and when combined (unified) they create this jubilant cacophony of texture thats makin me excited as fuck for prospects regarding a clear and distinct form as im working through it.

im also studying messiaens 2 hour long piano cycle 'Vingt regards sur l'enfant jesus' atm, which runs along a simlar basis, a small number of themes brought back throughout the whole (massive) work and the whole thing is just buzzing me to work pure on it. it will still take over a year though.

devised a really cool chordal theme for the upper and under world, one is gleefully unsettling, and the other is dark as fuck

lucky mother fucker, my scene takes place entirely in one location and although its a very important scene to the plot its very boring to score, aside from a few intense moments.

Guest splagawaga
devised a really cool chordal theme for the upper and under world, one is gleefully unsettling, and the other is dark as fuck

lucky mother fucker, my scene takes place entirely in one location and although its a very important scene to the plot its very boring to score, aside from a few intense moments.

less room for creative 'mickey mousing' but more room for building a lengthy mood i guess.

this is gonna sound very bizarre once its done :)

Then make it interesting :)

beneboi, what are you talking about. your scene starts off with maria and rotwang, you do something subtle or whatever, but then that one fucking crazy shot comes on and you get to set pretty much as high of an intensity level as you can muster, and then play around with something that goes from the two of them talking to marobot trying to do its thing. There's so much you can do there, and then after that you have all that stage direction to do whatever you feel is appropriate to take the soundtrack where it needs to go for that last little bit. you can totally dive into this and make it awesome. a lot of potential to collaborate with other people, too.

and idrn, that scene has so much mickey mousing potential. cmon dude you can pull off some good *ominous figure appears* and *hero runs around* music.

beneboi, what are you talking about. your scene starts off with maria and rotwang, you do something subtle or whatever, but then that one fucking crazy shot comes on and you get to set pretty much as high of an intensity level as you can muster, and then play around with something that goes from the two of them talking to marobot trying to do its thing. There's so much you can do there, and then after that you have all that stage direction to do whatever you feel is appropriate to take the soundtrack where it needs to go for that last little bit. you can totally dive into this and make it awesome. a lot of potential to collaborate with other people, too.

and idrn, that scene has so much mickey mousing potential. cmon dude you can pull off some good *ominous figure appears* and *hero runs around* music.

yeah man. i plan on slowing it down to half pace, free jazzing it with some cello and then doing alot of finesse with extra strings and synths.

Guest Adjective
the whole mickey mousing thing will get old real fast if everyone does this, no?

yes, i think so.

the actors knew they were in a silent movie, i don't think i need to amplify their already over the top acting by gluing an instrument to them.

only if youre shit and literally make it sound like mickey mouse music. like there is actually a difference between 'scoring a film' and 'playing a honky tonk piano'. if everyone just played around with 'evolving atmosphere' presets in absynth it wouldnt be a film score would it?
hah you gave me an idea, using the precise envelope-point time feature - not for a pad/atmosphere tho (well, sort of atmosphere)

Im not mickey mousing.

i have been bringing in new themes, taking things out in time with the events on the screen, but not as harshly as actually sequencing human movement to sound.

maybe i will experiment a little with that later on though.

funny you should mention 'evolving atmosphere' absynth presets though, im writing a piano concerto to an orchestra of those exact presets lol.

My absynth is broken so that Sonar crashes when i try and edit waveforms or change the presets in absynth, so i am literally picking 10 presets and writing music for them.

the whole mickey mousing thing will get old real fast if everyone does this, no?

yes, i think so.

the actors knew they were in a silent movie, i don't think i need to amplify their already over the top acting by gluing an instrument to them.

I agree with you two. Buying films and analyzing the scores is one of my hobbies. And very few films have "mickey mouse" parts on every scene. Take Vertigo for instance, the score is more about the atmosphere and the emotions of the scene, than each individual action of the scene.

Some scenes may tend to "mickey mousing" but very few in my opinion. My scene is pretty action packed, so I am basically thinking about doing a fast crazy track type thing, and try to sync certain parts of the track with certain parts of the film, but a lot of the action speaks for itself and too much "mickey mousing" might make it a bit cheesy.

Anyway, it is really up to you guys though.

Is anyone else using just hardware for this?

Guest Glitchy

so far. but Ive never been a large software user. Been trying out some ideas on guitar and synth. Im flattered that Ive got the final scene but feel like I need to hear the guys music from the scene before mine to get a proper lead in.

so far. but Ive never been a large software user. Been trying out some ideas on guitar and synth. Im flattered that Ive got the final scene but feel like I need to hear the guys music from the scene before mine to get a proper lead in.

Yea, those in the final few scenes have the toughest job I think. It would be a really good idea to keep in touch with spalagawaga, who has the scene before you.

anyone know a good sequencer that lets you edit different midi channels/sequences without having to swap between them? like the ability to draw a note of cello and then just move up a few inches to draw a note of violin on a separate track?

Archived