IGNORED

Download Manager Release:Autechre - 2008-04-08 Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver.flac

Guest KarakasaMusic

File Name: Autechre - 2008-04-08 Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver.flac

File Submitter: CATS

File Submitted: 15 Apr 2008

File Category: Autechre

Autechre - 2008-04-08 Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver.flac

set recorded by forum member goiter

Recorded in Vancouver @ 'Richards On Richards'; April 8th, 2008.

recorded with Zoom H2 field recorder

"around 23:25 into the recording AE's sound engineer came up to me and said that what I was doing was bad"

Click here to download this file

Guest moo duck

hiey goiter can you up the mp3 of it, plc?

if Ae dont wanna people to hear liveset recordings for some reason, reason come on let us knew you.

From the sound of THAT, we can pretty much forget about the chances of ever getting a soundboard recording from this tour.

True. Especially if this bloke is the one and only sound engineer they bring along to every tour date. He will decline all requests, obviously. And even if they have another sound engineer, it's common sense that he will also deny a soundboard recording to be made.

The only important question remains: WHY?! Are AE up to something with some of their own live recordings? Or do they, contrary to statements in their interviews, dislike the soundboard recordings? I believe I've read that they prefer audience recordings above soundboards because the dynamics of the room is needed to fully experience an AE live set; or something like that. Blegh. :-/

the sound engineer most likely works for the venue. even if he does not, his comment hardly represents an official statement for the band.

FWIW, someone at the Portland show said the following: "Their sound guy recorded the portland show. he had one of those zoom handheld recorders w/XLR's coming straight from the board. the normal sound guy at the venue said to me "yeah, that's their sound guy". This leads me to several contradictory views:

1) In recent interviews Autechre said that releasing their live stuff would be "milking it." So what's the sound guy doing there?

2) In the same interview Autechre said they don't mind audience recordings, but then their sound guy goes up to someone and says that recording the show "illegal." WTF?

3) If the sound guy is there to get adequate recordings for Autechre to use as reference in order to learn from and move forward from, why would they need a recording if EVERY performance is basically the same exact song? Doesnt imply that they, um, already have it recorded?

Guest telikan
"around 23:25 into the recording AE's sound engineer came up to me and said that what I was doing was bad"

LOL! Just heard this part. How stupid! (see attachment for an excerpt)

hahahaha, it's hard to tell if it's really the sound guy, or just some dude who does a funny character every now and then called Autechre's Sound Engineer.

many venues have rules against recording shows unless they are paid extra (not for recording, but just giving the artist the right to). i know this is the case with video anyway.

the sound engineer most likely works for the venue. even if he does not, his comment hardly represents an official statement for the band.
well I reckon they have their personal sound engineer because a random sound engineer doesn't really know how AE's music should sound.. so I think they bring their own sound engineer with them to have the sound be exactly like they want it to be..

3) If the sound guy is there to get adequate recordings for Autechre to use as reference in order to learn from and move forward from, why would they need a recording if EVERY performance is basically the same exact song? Doesnt imply that they, um, already have it recorded?
Well the live shows this time are rather identical for the most part, but you can always learn from the mistakes you've made. In the Belgium set I've heard a couple of small mistakes for example. In another set there might be other small mistakes. It's nice to have several recordings to hear the differences of where it went wrong and what they could learn from these mistakes. I think they have proper recordings of each set they've performed up till now.

hahahaha, it's hard to tell if it's really the sound guy, or just some dude who does a funny character every now and then called Autechre's Sound Engineer.

Well not really because the one who recorded the set verified that it was actually the sound engineer, the one that was fiddling with the knobs at the soundboard. So yeah it must've been the sound engineer fo'real.

Guest Goum Le Chat

Can someone tell me exactly what the sound guy says ? My english is not good enough.

When I saw Ae at Rex Club on march 19, the staff didn't care about mic and recording gear. But camera and camcoders where forbidden, and they said that "if someone try, the show will be cancelled".

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Space Coyote

Thanks for the flacs CATS and goiter

In regards to the sound engineer - Wow, way to immortalise yourself as a douchebag for all the internet Autechre fans

Archived