IGNORED

WATCHMEN trailer

azatoth

Guest Betty

He doesn't own the rights to V for Vendetta or Watchmen. The mainstream comics industry, which he now has nothing to do with, had/has notoriously exploitative work-for-hire arrangements.

For example, Steve Ditko who co-created Spiderman with Stan Lee, receives not royalties from movies, toys, etc...

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest catsonearth
take 'v for vendetta' for instance. while it wasn't the best adaptation, it was pretty obvious that they were trying to do him right and if he'd bothered to get involved or at least be consulted, it might have turned out to be pretty good.

Not as I understand it. I'm someone who hasnt read 'V' but has seen the film. Moore has stated that the 'V' novel was supposed to be about the juxtaposition of anarchy vs. fascism. When I watch the film I see a story about a freedom fighter combating fascism and very little else. It seems as if the filmmakers skipped the point of the novel entirely and suited it to their tastes to create a film that, while still good, was different from what Alan wrote. When I see things such as this taking place I can understand why he would be furious about the adaptations of his creative property.

that's what i'm talking about though, if he were around to say to the the writers/filmmakers "hey guys, it's kind of important that you keep such and such in because otherwise it makes the story about something else when its supposed to be a commentary on such and such" then i'm certain the wachowskis would understand what he was getting at and find out a way to make it work based on his input. when you just disavow yourself of the whole process, the person can only do what they think captures the idea best and they may not see the importance of certain things the way the creator would. that's why i was saying that it's unfortunate he lumps everyone in hollywood into the same pool based on his biases. the wachowskis are obviously fanboys that enjoy paying homage to the things that have inspired them to do what they do (animatrix, v for vendetta and speed racer are all good examples of this) and would probably have a nerdgasm if alan moore were to sit down next to them and coach them on important themes he feels are essential to the story. i have a strong feeling zach snyder is the same way. at this point, i feel alan moore is the major obstacle preventing a decent alan moore adaptation.

Guest Gary C

I'm sorry, but I'll guarantee that Moore loves money just as much as anyone else. And in fact, he'll rake it in when he finally gives his blessing to an adaptation or, most likely, writes his own film. Seriously, he'll be laughing hardest.

Guest telikan

Jesus, the Watchmen book is currently the #2 bestseller on Amazon right now. Guess a lot of people saw the trailer before the Dark Knight and figured they'd better know.

take 'v for vendetta' for instance. while it wasn't the best adaptation, it was pretty obvious that they were trying to do him right and if he'd bothered to get involved or at least be consulted, it might have turned out to be pretty good.

Not as I understand it. I'm someone who hasnt read 'V' but has seen the film. Moore has stated that the 'V' novel was supposed to be about the juxtaposition of anarchy vs. fascism. When I watch the film I see a story about a freedom fighter combating fascism and very little else. It seems as if the filmmakers skipped the point of the novel entirely and suited it to their tastes to create a film that, while still good, was different from what Alan wrote. When I see things such as this taking place I can understand why he would be furious about the adaptations of his creative property.

that's what i'm talking about though, if he were around to say to the the writers/filmmakers "hey guys, it's kind of important that you keep such and such in because otherwise it makes the story about something else when its supposed to be a commentary on such and such" then i'm certain the wachowskis would understand what he was getting at and find out a way to make it work based on his input. when you just disavow yourself of the whole process, the person can only do what they think captures the idea best and they may not see the importance of certain things the way the creator would. that's why i was saying that it's unfortunate he lumps everyone in hollywood into the same pool based on his biases. the wachowskis are obviously fanboys that enjoy paying homage to the things that have inspired them to do what they do (animatrix, v for vendetta and speed racer are all good examples of this) and would probably have a nerdgasm if alan moore were to sit down next to them and coach them on important themes he feels are essential to the story. i have a strong feeling zach snyder is the same way. at this point, i feel alan moore is the major obstacle preventing a decent alan moore adaptation.

i definitely understand your feelings better now, i would hope that alan moore has taken into account all the points you are bringing up. I personally think he has, and its more his disgust for the people at the very top of the chain not so much the film directors themselves. He probably knows in his heart that filmmakers like Zack Snyder and the Wachowskis would love to be able to have his input and would respect it greatly in the adaptations they make, but you can never be sure about when the top studio heads are going to jump in and force changes. He claims in interviews he just thinks his comics are unfilmable, but in a lot of ways he's never been involved in a real attempt to do it.

Jesus, the Watchmen book is currently the #2 bestseller on Amazon right now. Guess a lot of people saw the trailer before the Dark Knight and figured they'd better know.

the watchmen animated comic just came out on itunes store, its actually not bad. The first issue is free, maybe that had something to do with it too?

from aintitcoolnews.com:

"Entertainment Weekly has an interesting interview with “Watchmen” creator Alan Moore, whom I believe to be the best comic-book writer on the planet.

Among the revelations is Moore thinks HBO’s “The Wire” is “the most stunning piece of television that has ever come out of America, possibly the most stunning piece of television full-stop.”

He’s also “a very big fan” of “South Park” and does not rule out getting into the TV game himself if he could get the kind of support David Simon enjoyed on “The Wire.”

Other highlights from the interview have nothing to do with television:

* He’s wary of the fact that “Watchmen” is being helmed by “300” director Zach Snyder. “I've not seen any recent comic book films, but I didn't particularly like the book 300. I had a lot of problems with it, and everything I heard or saw about the film tended to increase [those problems] rather than reduce them: [that] it was racist, it was homophobic, and above all it was sublimely stupid.”

* He thinks ComicCon, which he no longer attends, is “a bit overwhelming and creepy.”

* He says the pacing of “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” has changed substantially now that the series has moved from DC Comics to Top Shelf."

rest of interview here!

just watched the first episode of the Watchmen cartoon.......

and really enjoyed it!

bringing the actual comic to life.....

This whole project (film and serial cartoon) should prove to be the best Moore adaptation yet.......

Guest analogue wings
This whole project (film and serial cartoon) should prove to be the best Moore adaptation yet.......

but 300 is dumber than the matrix...

Guest analogue wings

duh, dey made some cgis wat looks just like the comix

duh, dis is gona like totaley roek dood

the matrix was never a comic......

DUH>>>>>>>>>>

For the Watchmen film they built actual sets based on Dave Gibbons' art, not cgi.....

You should not only read the rules, but read as well!

why does everyone fucking suck so bad on this board now??????

last post

HEY!! you suck atop... not really but i think that AW was just mistaken about what people are talking about here, 300 was not an alan moore comic, and you guys were talkin about the new animated comic for watchmen, not the movie coming out next year.

Guest analogue wings
HEY!! you suck atop... not really but i think that AW was just mistaken about what people are talking about here, 300 was not an alan moore comic, and you guys were talkin about the new animated comic for watchmen, not the movie coming out next year.

ATOP said Watchmen (the movie) would rule. I was just pointing out that it's being made by the director of 300 (a shit movie that alan moore himself rightly called racist, homophobic and stupid), and there's absolutely no reason to believe this guy will make a good film of watchmen. all the trailer shows is that he has used the comic as "storyboards" just like he did with 300.

edit: duh

yes, and I did not think 300 was a very good film, I was wrong........

visually cool and has good samples for dubstep but that is about it.......

I think V for Vendetta (a Moore story) is a better film.....

I apologize for saying you suck........

I just downloaded and read the comic. seeing the trailer again it looks amazing. i could watch the trailer over and over. i hope the movie is at least as good as the trailer. and that it manages to capture the essence of the comic too.

I just downloaded and read the comic. seeing the trailer again it looks amazing. i could watch the trailer over and over. i hope the movie is at least as good as the trailer. and that it manages to capture the essence of the comic too.

don't be cheap and buy the book

that trailer looks good

read all of Alan Moores' popular stuff, especially From Hell......

Promethea is great for those so inclined as to the mystic thought....

Watchmen is great....

V for Vendetta as well.....

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vol 1 and 2 are amazing.........

3 I haven't gotten through yet, not as amazing so far........

Moore is wonderful!

one of the greatest writers alive and ever!

Archived