IGNORED

WATCHMEN trailer

azatoth

WB is pulling down every link that posts the trailer, so here's another if io9 gets pulled. http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1670081657

i have to say, it looks much better than i thought, and i hated 300. btw, why are they using the theme to Batman & Robin in the trailer? surely it's not on the soundtrack.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest catsonearth

about the batman & robin song being used...i've heard the director talk about how he wants to make the watchmen movie as much of a commentary on comic book movies as the the book was a commentary on comic books, so i'm guessing it's all part of that theme he's going with.

Guest telikan

lol, but what commentary is to be made of using a song from the largest abomination of a film in a popular franchise in your trailer? i'm pretty sure it's just some shit Warner Brothers still had license to and went with it.

Guest Franklin

wow this looks pretty fucking cool. i have not read the GN though. somebody remind me when this comes out k.

Guest analogue wings

From the writer of X-Men 2 and The Scorpion King!

From the art director of Men in Black II and Transformers!

From people with names like "Zach" and "Tyler" - what did they get Screech to do, casting maybe?

i was going to say it looked rather faek, but it was a whole hell of a lot better in HD. who was the guy getting the shit shocked out of him in the beginning again? haven't read this in a while. that like the birth of Dr. Manhattan?

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud
lol, but what commentary is to be made of using a song from the largest abomination of a film in a popular franchise in your trailer? i'm pretty sure it's just some shit Warner Brothers still had license to and went with it.

It's been used in a bunch of trailers. Kind of like the Requiem for a Dream theme.

Guest Wall Bird

Favorite shot: Ozymandias spinning around and swiftly knocking the guy into the fountain. Straight out of the novel.

WHEN ARE YOU KIDS GONNA WISE UP AND REALIZE THAT A TRAILER GIVES YOU A VERY TINY TEST-MARKETED PIECE OF THE PUZZLE AND YOU CANNOT JUDGE A 2 HOUR MOVIE ON 30 SECONDS OF FILM CLIPS.

True dat.

They've nailed Dr. Manhattan.

Guest serpico009

Wow, definitely checking out this Tales of The Black Freighter DVD.

No matter the quality of this film Alan Moore will predictably collect his huge fucking paycheck and then disown the whole affair.

Edit: after checking Rubin's link, maybe not:

"In January 2008, Alan Moore revealed that he had negotiated to have his name removed from Zack Snyder's film and to have all royalties go to Dave Gibbons. He said that Gibbons had asked him if he was interested in being updated about the film, but the writer declined. Moore said, "I won’t be watching it, obviously. I can at least remain neutral to it as long as they’re taking my name off of it and not playing these silly, ultimately futile games like they were doing last time, which worked out so well for them."

right as this trailer was coming on for this before batman, someone who must have seen the trailer online already yells out "WAAAAAAAATCHMENNNNNNNN!". Thank you internet, for making that amazing moment possible.

and yeah, I think the 300 guy might just not totally fuck this one up. I guess we'll see.

Guest telikan

Seriously, if you're Alan Moore, why would you want to see this AT ALL?

*gruff Alan Moore englishman voice* "It's awll'in moiy 'ead innit?"

Guest serpico009

actually he was quoted as saying "I shan't be seeing it" like a la-dee-dah poofta.

I dunno, I make a logical leap and think "if you wouldn't want to see a film based on your comics, and you think your stories can only be truly enjoyed in their intended format ("curled upin a chair by the fire with a steaming cup of coffee", goes the quote), than why would you take huge sums of money and let somone make a film version when you could just say no".

And obviously, it's all about that paycheck, but I suspect Moore would be crass and say some neutral easy bullshit like "not up to me to tell people how to consume their media", which would be a weak copout, IMO.

But in the end, Moore deserves success in my book, so whatever. But Gibbon's art makes it work, glad to see he'll benefit.

EDIT: unless playbynumbers is correct in thinking DC owns the rights.

right as this trailer was coming on for this before batman, someone who must have seen the trailer online already yells out "WAAAAAAAATCHMENNNNNNNN!". Thank you internet, for making that amazing moment possible.

and yeah, I think the 300 guy might just not totally fuck this one up. I guess we'll see.

lol, i was surprised that most of the theater clapped after the trailer, but they also clapped no less than 5 times during the dark knight. clap happy audience.

Guest telikan

actually he was quoted as saying "I shan't be seeing it" like a la-dee-dah poofta.

I dunno, I make a logical leap and think "if you wouldn't want to see a film based on your comics, and you think your stories can only be truly enjoyed in their intended format ("curled upin a chair by the fire with a steaming cup of coffee", goes the quote), than why would you take huge sums of money and let somone make a film version when you could just say no".

And obviously, it's all about that paycheck, but I suspect Moore would be crass and say some neutral easy bullshit like "not up to me to tell people how to consume their media", which would be a weak copout, IMO.

But in the end, Moore deserves success in my book, so whatever. But Gibbon's art makes it work, glad to see he'll benefit.

EDIT: unless playbynumbers is correct in thinking DC owns the rights.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he approaches it like "I'll take your money so I can continue to make books that are better than your stupid movies, but leave my name off it because I don't agree that my work needs to be validated in what retards think is a more legit form of entertainment/art."

I don't think he's being neutral about it. I think, and kind of hope, it's openly backhanded. Like he's saying it isn't even a matter of doing the work justice, it's just wholly unnecessary. But he's not going to stop them from doing it, or deny himself the formality of giving the creator money.

Guest Wall Bird

I'm having a hard time understanding the level of Alan Moore's distaste for this adaptation. Clearly he thinks it cannot improve on his writing or even convey it properly, but I'm trying to figure out why he would go so far as to not even watch it. Even if he has denied himself any profit and credit from the film based on his convictions (which he has), wouldnt it be in the best interest of argument for him to watch the film with the purpose of being able to easily argue why it truly does not work?

Archived