WATCHMEN trailer

azatoth

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

uh oh i just felt my stomach drop

don't read this if you want to remain pure on Watchmen's ending

no squid, no fake alien invasion,no psychic shockwave, no island.

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/10/watchmen-might.html

I think my biggest disappointment in all this is Zach Snyder has been trying to win over fans desperately since the project's inception.

in some respects he started to convince me this film might actually be amazing. After reading about what they changed in the climax i think this movie overall will be forgotten a lot more quickly. It will fall through the cracks as a weird experiment in super hero movies but won't have the same emotional resonance the graphic novel has.

Guest catsonearth
uh oh i just felt my stomach drop

don't read this if you want to remain pure on Watchmen's ending

no squid, no fake alien invasion,no psychic shockwave, no island.

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/10/watchmen-might.html

I think my biggest disappointment in all this is Zach Snyder has been trying to win over fans desperately since the project's inception.

in some respects he started to convince me this film might actually be amazing. After reading about what they changed in the climax i think this movie overall will be forgotten a lot more quickly. It will fall through the cracks as a weird experiment in super hero movies but won't have the same emotional resonance the graphic novel has.

i'm a little hesitant to believe the claims about the ending. it may be different, i don't know, but all the people that saw the screenings signed non-disclosure agreements, so all of this could just be people fucking around, causing fanboys to get all worked up over nothing. either way, i don't care much. i never really like the endings of movies/books/comics anyway. most of them are just formality.

heh ... i never read the comics ... i've lived in a same house as them if that makes me cool .. heh .. i wasn't down with super heros at that time though .. only comic i was left reading by then was cerebus ... rest of the time it was sci-fi or fantasy novels ...

i'm on chapter X right now, and not that impressed. it's just not very exciting, seems way too up its own ass with being socially/politically relevant. where's the explosions? and titties?!

• 3 weeks later...

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

no squid its been confirmed by the director himself, he tried to defend it by saying 'but we kept the pregnant woman getting killed, why dont the fans care about that more?'

Guest catsonearth

yea, the director confirmed that there is no squid at the end, but rather ozy detonates several nukes and frames dr. manhattan for it. but in terms of context, he claims they both serve the same purpose in the story.

I think it's an honest approach, about the whole morality of the book and how it translates on screen. I know the fanboys are almost killing themselves over that, but he really said that the ending was last like that since the first draft of the script. You can't fault a director if he feels the script is the best material he wants to shoot.

yea, the director confirmed that there is no squid at the end, but rather ozy detonates several nukes and frames dr. manhattan for it. but in terms of context, he claims they both serve the same purpose in the story.

i don't really care if they change it because i wasnt shittin my pants over the comic but this just seems dumb. i'm interested to see how detonating nukes would bring the countries together instead of causing ww III/nuclear winter/all that cool shit

I think it's an honest approach, about the whole morality of the book and how it translates on screen. I know the fanboys are almost killing themselves over that, but he really said that the ending was last like that since the first draft of the script. You can't fault a director if he feels the script is the best material he wants to shoot.

hm i would agree with you had i not been following Zack Snyders statements for the past year or so. He's tried DESPERATELY hard this entire time to win over the fan boys by leaking stills, behind the scenes footage showing exact recreation of sets from the comic. He really wants to make the fans think he respects the work 100% as it is by emphasizing how its going to keep all the 'depressing' stuff, but unfortunately i think what hes done here is visually pillaged watchmen. I say pillaged because while hes done an amazing job with the look of the film and the aesthetics its almost as if hes using that as a smoke screen to cover up other weaknesses of the film. So far i haven't seen a single shot of dialogue, the trailers both of them seem more like music videos.

*spoilers follow for those who havent read the comic book nor don't want to know what the script was changed to*

Dr Manhattan being tricked into blowing up half the world simply DOES NOT work as an ending.

The entire time Dr Manhattan is seen as a weapon of the United States. If he is portrayed as somehow turning evil and blowing up stuff, why would Russia and other countries believe he went rogue? wouldn't they immediately be paranoid and think the US was still involved? If i remember correctly from the comic book, , its been about 2 years since i read it last Dr Manhattan in and of itself creates a further escalation of nuclear war between Russia and the US.

The beauty of the alan moore ending is that its a completely outside force... Aliens that make people stop fighting amongst themselves and focus on the external threat. This overall theme is simply not possible with the same elegance if it's just Dr Manhattan doing it.

Someone faking a 'the day the earth stood still' style scenario including the psychic shockwave that convinces the populace that it is indeed real is what makes the ending of the book. Fuck the squid, that in and of itself is not important at all, its what the Squid accomplishes.

I think it would have worked fine in a hollywood film version of watchmen if the fake alien invasion was done in some other form, some massive spaceship crash etc

Guest awkwardsilence

Yeah, the trailers have been totally addictive. I've just been sitting here for half an hour or so, looping the new one.

Squid or no squid, this can totally work as a crazy 2 hour movie version of Watchmen for me.

my only worry from what i see so far is that Rorschach voice sounds very cartoonish almost too over the top.

His mask is also a little too grey looking, for an ink blot it has way too little contrast. Minor nitpicking for sure.

As for positive stuff, the makeup on the old comedian looks pretty awesome. I was worried the actors wouldn't

look old enough. I was especially worried that Patrick Wilson was way too young looking to pull off a good Dan Dreiberg but from the looks of the trailer and his dialogue it's so accurate it kind of sends chills down my spine.

i agree, i don't see how it'll work without the squid ... but i have to say, i can 95% predict the quality of a film from a trailer, and the trailers thus far are impressive

lol. 300 had a pretty damn good trailer. Trailers are like music videos, a pretty different beast from a feature-length

Archived