IGNORED

Look at this guy's Autechre reviews

oyster

ae

What do you think.

He clearly doesn't like them, but on the other hand he is clearly out of his musical element here.

I have enjoyed his rock reviews in the past.

Also kind of strange of all the experimentalish electronicish stuff he could have chosen he chose the one most people find the most challenging.

I loled at his Confield review though, he equated it to torture. :beer:

Guest maddestmax

"Remember that favourite Nazi torture, do you, where the prisoner is put in a cell and subjected to listening to slowly dripping water?"

he funny.

Guest maddestmax

"Once again we should bear in mind that there are only two truly subjective things in the world: there's the Arab-Israeli conflict, and then there are Autechre albums."

Now thats just swell.

Guest moo duck

15: Never To Be Topped

[15 albums]

Go and buy this now. These are superalbums by the few really great and timeless masters of rock: the cream of the cream of the cream. These records set the highest standard for all those that follow them and they probably won't be superated by anybody, not in the nearest couple thousand years. And yes, maybe I'm a fool for giving the highest mark to five Beatles' albums in a row, but fifteen years of Beatle-listening haven't cured me of the attitude.

Beatles: Revolver

Beatles: Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Beatles: Magical Mystery Tour

Beatles: The Beatles

Beatles: Abbey Road

Beatles: Past Masters (vol. 2)

Bob Dylan: Highway 61 Revisited

Bob Dylan: Blonde On Blonde

Rolling Stones: Beggar's Banquet

Rolling Stones: Let It Bleed

Rolling Stones: Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Rolling Stones: Singles Collection: The London Years

Who: Live At Leeds

Who: Live At The Isle Of Wight

Who: Quadrophenia

Unrated: Enigmata

[12 albums]

A few records that I have reviewed which are not necessarily 'horrendous' but cannot be rated according to "regular" criteria. Noise, avantgarde art, radical experimentation beyond the limits of "ordinary" conscience, anything like that. Proceed at your own risk.

Adrian Belew: The Guitar As Orchestra

Bjork: Medulla

Brian Eno: Thursday Afternoon

Brian Eno: Neroli

Frank Zappa: Lumpy Gravy

Fripp/Eno: No Pussyfooting

George Harrison: Electronic Sound

John Lennon: Wedding Album

Lou Reed: Metal Machine Music

Neil Young: Dead Man

Nick Cave: The Secret Life Of The Love Song

Residents: Eskimo

also this quote is great

Where sissies like Kraftwerk made anthropomorphic projections of a computer's life onto recorded material, Tri Repetae actually sounds as if the computer itself came to life and gave us a true representation of its inner self. And that's quintessential Autechre for you here.

• 1 month later...
Guest LonelyMachines
also this quote is great

Where sissies like Kraftwerk made anthropomorphic projections of a computer's life onto recorded material, Tri Repetae actually sounds as if the computer itself came to life and gave us a true representation of its inner self. And that's quintessential Autechre for you here.

Funny, I was reading an Iain Banks book in which an AI (called "Minds") was describing its inner life. Listening to Tri Repetae at the time, I can really get that analogy.

Then there's this:

Percussion is king on this record, and melody is a humiliated, miserable slave.

Kinda like that :wink2: Especially since Confield probably had the most drastic effect on me of any Ae album when I first heard it.

I remember some dude on another forum posting a review for Quaristice that seemed like it was done by a 19yr jurno post grad indie groupie....

and I wondered how knew the article was from NME even before I clicked the link.

You don't get a taxi driver to test drive a racing car.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ComicMaster

I'd like to see him review some Jazz and see what the end result is. Also he's clearly unbiased towards everything he reviews and holds absolutely no bias for 60s and 70s Classic Rock / Rock & Roll.

Archived