IGNORED

What is it like being an Australian?

Salvatorin

Okay, so I'm going to let the australians speak first. I'll ask questions later.

What is it like, mentally, physically, socially, culturally, etc......being a person who considers himself "Australian" ?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, technically, I am not an "Alaskan," I'm actually from all over the place. Born in Cape Verde, Africa....lived in Providence, Idaho, Gliwitz Poland, Paderborn Germany, Erie PA, Potsdam NY, Bonn Germany, Lancaster PA, and now here in Alaska.

At this point of my life I'm going through a identity revolution pertaining to the presence of Native Alaskans all around me...I'm getting into archeological research about some interesting sites in Alaska...as I research, I get more and more a hunch that northwestern Alaska was once populated by a relatively developed civilization 2500+ years ago, making me really think about what Alaska could be if it reasonably started to balance out the culture based on what had been before, I think I'm going to start a movement to create a city based on a conglomerate architecture of tlingit and haida woodcarvings and inupiaq decoration man I'm going on a tangent

lets get back to australians

well if you look at the most powerful new world countries originating from european colonization.......Australia seems like it ends up being the most problematic in terms of integrating culture and land.

I have misconceptions about the Australian outlook on life that I'd like to get fixed....I know, Australia is a diverse place with tons of different peoples, but there has to be a unifying factor among Australians......or does there?

Basically, what kind australians, as an australian, do you know, who love their country, for its history, geography, anthropology, etc.

Also, how are aborigines viewed in the context of Australians? Its very obvious that the initial North American and Australian interaction with natives is highly similar, but is the ills of australian colonization more overlooked in Australia?

Are the beginnings of colonial australian history kind of like starting out in the wild west and never having a revolutionary war?

What are australian history textbooks like?

Archived