IGNORED

What is it like being an Australian?

Salvatorin

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest countchocula

I have a question for one aussie on this board and that is modey. what's a zole? I've seen you use that a couple times. is it some sort of aussie slang?

zole was developed here on watmm, not through some kind of australian in-joke.

I got this weird vibe from the handful of australians that I knew, it was like they wished they weren't Australian.

really? strange, i love living in australia. i personally identify as italian-australian, i wasn't born in italy and don't speak the language but most of my family is italian.

other than that, i dunno.. i don't know if there are any real cultural differences between here and USA for example, we have the usual mainstream corporations, they just go by different names. we've got the usual goths, emos, hipsters, preppy popped collar douchebags, fake tanned pop bitches, indie kids, etc. also, i don't think i've ever seen a real cork hat in my life, apart from in school plays and such, heheh.

lol @ australian stereotypes not being updated since 1972.

Guest bitroast

ha, wtf.

you post an odd question like 'What is it like, mentally, physically, socially, culturally, etc......being a person who considers himself "Australian" ?' and you expect all the australians to reply saying that we hate living here but on the flipside we are all really racist.

other than that, i dunno.. i don't know if there are any real cultural differences between here and USA for example, we have the usual mainstream corporations, they just go by different names. we've got the usual goths, emos, hipsters, preppy popped collar douchebags, fake tanned pop bitches, indie kids, etc. also, i don't think i've ever seen a real cork hat in my life, apart from in school plays and such, heheh.

Thats the thing that I keep tripping out over, though. Observing its development, the historical events leading up to the Australian country are very similar to The United States or Canada. But it isn't the USA. Its almost like looking at a copy of the USA, placed in an environment completely different. And as you say, there's hardly any cultural differences...but the idea of it is kind of crazy. Being all the way down there...I actually really want to go to Australia, to tell you the truth.

Do you know any australian aboriginals?

Also I was just thinking, do you know any hippies, like from the 60's, and if so, what was it like during psychedelic times?

What are the forests like?

Do you go to crazy trippy parties out in the open road?

Is it fun to drive across Australia?

So many questions...I might as well just go there.

Guest SecondaryCell
Born in Cape Verde, Africa....lived in Providence, Idaho, Gliwitz Poland, Paderborn Germany, Erie PA, Potsdam NY, Bonn Germany, Lancaster PA, and now here in Alaska.

When were you in Erie? I lived there for many years...

Thats the thing that I keep tripping out over, though. Observing its development, the historical events leading up to the Australian country are very similar to The United States or Canada. But it isn't the USA. Its almost like looking at a copy of the USA, placed in an environment completely different. And as you say, there's hardly any cultural differences...but the idea of it is kind of crazy. Being all the way down there...I actually really want to go to Australia, to tell you the truth.

Do you know any australian aboriginals?

Also I was just thinking, do you know any hippies, like from the 60's, and if so, what was it like during psychedelic times?

What are the forests like?

Do you go to crazy trippy parties out in the open road?

Is it fun to drive across Australia?

So many questions...I might as well just go there.

i know a few aboriginal people (i had an aboriginal girlfriend for three years and i'm now in a band with her brother), i dunno what the stereotype is for foreigners but they're just normal people really, well most of them - there are occasionally the thug types who seem to carry the stereotype here in australia.

i don't know any oldskool hippies, really.

i haven't seen many forests, i guess we mostly have just big bushy areas here, they're pretty cool!

out in the open road? i dunno, i live in a fairly built up area, and i haven't been out in the country for a long time. but there are things called 'bush doofs' that are basically a bunch of breakcore/gabba hippies with a generator out in the bush, never been to one though.

i've never driven across australia, but i've heard mixed reports, so, i dunno!

yeah i say come and visit! if you want to come to melbourne there's room to stay at my place!

does Australia have good weed? or marijuana at all

yes. though i've never had any non-australian weed, at least not that i know, but i think chengod said the weed here is pretty decent.

i've travelled (mostly hitching, driving camper or taking coach) from Cairns down the east coast to Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Adelaide stopping at all sorts of beautiful places inbetween.

in general and from my observations....

the australian people were positive, warm, welcoming and friendly everywhere i went, whether white, aboriginal or asian (large chinese population).

the aussies really love their service industry and export their enthusiasm for it to the UK. they seem more likely, more interested to travel around europe and the rest of the world, before investigating their own massive, amazing country.

as far as i know, the kids are taught aboriginal heritage, history and art in schools... but from what i saw in the cities it seems it's mostly aboriginal people that are homeless or poor, in fact i didn't see a single white homeless person or beggar anywhere. the menial and manual jobs seem to the aboriginal people's lot, of course with exception.

Born in Cape Verde, Africa....lived in Providence, Idaho, Gliwitz Poland, Paderborn Germany, Erie PA, Potsdam NY, Bonn Germany, Lancaster PA, and now here in Alaska.

When were you in Erie? I lived there for many years...

I was in Erie from 1997-1999,

and also, awesome, Modey and Keltoi!

Fuck yes

drugs in australia are super expensive and not very good in comparison according to every aussie traveller i have ever spoken to on the subject

Fuck yes

drugs in australia are super expensive and not very good in comparison according to every aussie traveller i have ever spoken to on the subject

i lost about a month at the beaches just outside sydney cos of nice clean, strong grass. pricewise it was cheaper than UK but only just. i was given a pill in adelaide which was shit, dunno how much it was though.

i guess everywhere's the same in that there are places to go to get good drugs and there are dodgy places that sell shitty stuff.

most of the weed i've had has been quite good, i don't have anything to compare it to though, hehe. there seems to be a decent underground lsd network if you know the right people (that reminds me, godamn i want some acid again hehe). as for pills, well i've only had two, so i can't really say how good they were. i enjoyed them though, that's all that matters, right? RIGHT?!

I want to go to where ever this place is.

toppic.jpg

no idea where that is, but it looks a little like (i think) the hawkesbury river in nsw, but there are a lot of nice places like that in australia. if you ever come and visit, i'll drag you to healesville where a friend of mine lives, we're going to set up some portable amps, guitars and drums and make some super lo-fi black metal in the bush, hahah!

Archived