IGNORED

Twin Peaks

Squee

Guest Barricade

Can't believe no one mentioned Jocelyn as the most annoying character. Her moves were dumb and then afterward she was crying about her stupid mistakes. During every scene she was in I was like: what the fuck do you want, bitch?! And that dumbass deputy Andy. How the fuck did he ever become a cop?

Anyway great show with some lame episodes in the middle of season 2. FWWM is great too, but has a very different mood than the series. I love the scene where Chris Isaak fucks that guy up behind the counter. epic.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that scene where Josie/Joan Chen's dress is open in the back after being fucked was sure hot though.

androgenous Asians forced to speak and act in painfully stereotypical ways ftw

josie.jpg

season 1 > season 2

big time.

The cliffhanger from season 1 to season 2 was pretty spectacular, however.

The first and last episodes of season 2 were near perfect but almost everything in between was pretty lame.

With regards to the cliffhanger being spectacular, there is a reason for this. As I understand, at the time, the second season was not guaranteed for comission. So, to try and force the issue of the second season the writers incorporated just about as many cliffhangers as possible in one epidose. Becasue there was so much unaswered stuff it would have been criminal to leave it there. This masterstroke led to a second season. Also (becasue they weren't sure at the time how it would be recieved) the viewer numbers indicated a second series was necessary.

The second season was not as good as the first for a few reasons I think:

1. Increased pressure from executives around episodes and storyline for money reasons no doubt (due to popularity) - i.e. Revealing Laura's killer which apparently was never supposed to happen when the series was concieved. Thus creative control was reduced.

2. Linked to the first point the demand for more led to increasingly bizarre/bullshit storylines (Cooper's love interest being one even though I would not say no to Heather Graham!) This ulitmately led to its downfall as interest waned, people could not understand and ratings fell.

Note: You can see similarites with other TV shows today that follow the same pattern - Lost, for example, has an number of bollocks epiosdes principally because as the show is making so much money that they (not exactly sure who but possibly TV execs) didn't want to set an end point (they have now) which meant that crucial plot twists could not be revealed as it wasn't sure how many seasons they'd go on with. In the meantime, they have to give the viewers something; shit episodes namely.

3. I believe but this is not sure that Lynch left for a while to pursue other ventures (maybe becuase he was unhappy with the way things were going) before being convinced to return to help finish the series the way it should have been (perhaps another reason why you feel the end of the seasons are better than the stuff in between).

That said, the series as a whole is fantastic and original. I'm a big fan, and there's no doubt that it has had major influences on TV shows since.

I'd also heard that the character of Cooper (name it is said to come from D.B. Cooper) was based on Sherlock Holmes, and they just ramped up his intution a hell of a lot more, which made him really appealing.

Awesome show!

As stupid as the Josie Packard character was, I've always wondered what they planned to do with her if the series had continued. Remember, after she died, her spirit was locked (in one of the few moments of embarrassing special effects in the series) in a wooden drawer knob in the Great Northern and then Pete seems to see her at the hotel in a later episode. Her death, unlike her life in the show, was when her character started to get interesting.

As summarized by Wikipedia:

Moments later, Josie collapses dead in front of Cooper and a shattered Truman. At the moment of her death, Cooper sees a vision of Bob and the Man from another place BOB ask Cooper, laughing, "What happened to Josie Coop?!" . At the autopsy, her body was found to have lost a dramatic amount of weight. Deputy Hawk speculates that her soul is no longer in the body. Indeed, it appears that Josie's soul is trapped within the wood of the hotel, to be more exact - in the doorknob of a drawer, as envisioned by the Log Lady in her narrative. She was mentioned once more when Pete said - at the hotel - "Josie, I see your face."

Nobody knows what really happened to Josie. A theory that would complement the idealism of the series, is that Josie, much like Laura, was filled with dark secrets, being humiliated by men, getting involved with hard criminals and a sexual slave or whore to many, yet like Laura, she keeps away the people who really love her to protect them from herself and the terrible things from her past that haunt her, thus leading a double life. There came a time and a moment, like she knew it would come, that everything blew up in her face. There's a hint that her death was eventually a matter of choice. She has no Doppelganger or a shadow version, at least none as seen in the Black Lodge, so the actual state of her soul after her death is unknown.

Guest Enter a new display name

Please change the intro if the series ever comes back for a third season. That flashy orange/green font was painful to watch.

comments

i bet a lot of it is due to Lynch being a lazy/artistically fickle bastard. The dude is better at atmosphere than he is at careful plotting, and lets face it, the mystery aspects of the series were always pretty half-baked. I think he just lost interest and let Frost and all the guest directors and writers just do whatever with it. Maintaining a series must take a huge amount of stamina, which makes anomalies like The Wire stand out even more (and Twin Peaks wasn't HBO).

It's too bad because I can see ways the first season could have been stretched out longer (it's remarkably compact, even rushed) much more successfully than all the extraneous characters and predicaments they added later. They could have added a lot of depth to the series by widening Laura's circle of friends and exploring the entire school environment, for example, which strangely is never even touched upon. Instead we got the emo orchid grower.

Guest Adjective
i'm sure my idm stock will go way down for this but i've actually never watched a single episode of this show

come on dude, try it

here's the pilot

Guest Deep Fried Everything
i'm sure my idm stock will go way down for this but i've actually never watched a single episode of this show

i was also a member of this camp until earlier this week... it's definitely an interesting series to say the least.

oh god, watching episode 220, wtf is going on? Its freaking me out that something big is going to happen soon. I'm going to finish the series tonight.

Guest Adjective
I know Lynch likes to do things on his own now, but it would be interesting if HBO commissioned him to develop a series.

i still want a mulholland drive series

wasn't that pitched to ABC before the film?

man, just finished the last episode. Lynch sure knows how to fuck things up(in a good way). I still don't understanding everything about the series, I think I would like to watch it again.

I know Lynch likes to do things on his own now, but it would be interesting if HBO commissioned him to develop a series.

i still want a mulholland drive series

wasn't that pitched to ABC before the film?

There are lots of interesting things about this. It's all mentioned in the book called Lynch on Lynch but I can't be bothered looking for it, so here are a bunch of quotes from the interwebz:

Initially, "Mulholland Dr." was to mark David Lynch's return to television. It is a retooling of a script originally shot as a 94-minute pilot for a TV series (co-written with TV screenwriter Joyce Eliason) for the channel ABC, which had approved the script, but chose not even to air the pilot once it was done in 1999, despite Lynch's labours to cut the project to their liking. It was left in limbo until 18 month later French company Studio Canal Plus (also producer of 'The Straight Story') agreed to pay ABC $7 million for the pilot, and budget a few million more to turn the pilot into a two-hour, 27-minute movie. The cost of the film doubled to $14 million as sets had to be reconstructed and actors recalled.

Lynch's Picture Factory joined with Imagine Television in association with Touchstone Television to produce a two-hour ABC pilot titled "Mulholland Drive." ABC passed on it for the fall 99 season. The reason was due to the violence in the pilot (the decision came in the wake of the Colorado shootings). With all the political pressure out now for Hollywood to clean things up it seems ABC got scared and passed on it. Lynch told Premiere magazine, "All I know is, I loved making it, ABC hated it, and I don't like the cut I turned in. I agreed with ABC that the longer cut was too slow, but I was forced to butcher it because we had a deadline, and there wasn't time to finesse anything. It lost texture, big scenes, and storylines, and there are 300 tape copies of the bad version circulating around. Lots of people have seen it, which is embarrassing, because they're bad-quality tapes, too. I don't want to think about it."

David Lynch first came up with the idea for the story in the early 1990s, when his television show "Twin Peaks" (1990) was still on the air. Would the show have continued for a third season, Lynch would have entered into talks with ABC to spin-off the character of Audrey Horne, who would have survived her being trapped inside an exploding building in the Season 2 cliffhanger. The character(s) that Naomi Watts plays was originally intended to be Audrey; David Lynch has never revealed if Audrey would have had the same fate as Naomi Watts' character(s) in the film.

I just remember him [Lynch] saying that it would be a series of mysteries that spun out of each other and would never have a conclusion, unlike 'Twin Peaks'. He was very upset that Laura's killer had to be named and said he would not let that happen again.

Adam and Betty would embark on the affair indicated by the sparks ignited by their first brief meeting. More intriguingly, during the first year of the show the life-paths of two female leads would cross, the noir elements of the plot absorbing Betty as she was sucked into Rita's dark world while the mystery girl herself would find redemption. And, in response to politely insistent queries, Lynch promised that when Rita's identity was finally revealed it would only open up other mysteries.

Laney, the mysterious homeless character (prostitute) would get revealed throughout the series and come to a grande finale when the big secret is unfolded.

In an interview with Chris Rodley Lynch says that MD has become simpler as a movie (as a love story) than it was supposed to become as a series. He is grateful to ABC to have killed the project because it has given him the opportunity to change completely his point of view about the MD story. It is clear that esthetically speaking the love story is so beautiful that the remaining of the story is not necessary. -

man, just finished the last episode. Lynch sure knows how to fuck things up(in a good way). I still don't understanding everything about the series, I think I would like to watch it again.

Now watch the film, it ties up some of the loose ends. Although it also adds about 4,000 new loose ends too.

that scene where Josie/Joan Chen's dress is open in the back after being fucked was sure hot though.

androgenous Asians forced to speak and act in painfully stereotypical ways ftw

josie.jpg

yeah man...i got crush on Josie.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

best lol is when coop asked "who's the babe?" talking about josie. lol

then turns audrey down. idiot!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Iain C

A friend of mine had never seen Twin Peaks before, so we watched the pilot last night and I lent him my Season One box set... but now I miss it and want to watch it again!

Also, the perfect woman:

audrey_de_Twin_Peaks.jpg

Audrey_Horne_seated_in_desk.bmp

95836_14_122_1048lo.jpg

Archived