IGNORED

compilation idea, it might have been done before

modey

ok, i just had this idea talking to my girlfriend about stockhausen. basically someone draws up a non-standard score for a piece of music, with the freedom to go completely crazy, but doesn't give any guidelines as to what the notation means, or the duration - it's all up to the individual performer/producer to interpret and make into a track.

what do you cunts think? good or absolute wank?

Guest hahathhat

there are many angles you could approach it... hence being good compilation material.

personally, i think i would try to imagine some alien civilization receiving it and interpreting it as a piece of music. how the recording of their resulting music would sound, i mean.

Guest hahathhat

the image i posted above is actually a dressed-up representation... the real Aricebo Message is just a string of binary data. max/msp/etc. users delight!!

I'm down.

dood. This thing looks wicked. Going to try to make a PD patch to make it send midi.

Ever seen a John Cage score?

score.gif

«Williams Mix»

Cage’s first composition for tape recorder already goes to the limits of the medium. Commenting on his score, Cage explains: «This is a score (192 pages) for making music on magnetic tape. Each page has two systems comprising eight lines each. These eight lines are eight tracks of tape and they are pictured full-size so that the score constitutes a pattern for the cutting of tape and its splicing. All recorded sounds are placed in six categories ... Approximately 600 recordings are necessary to make a version of this piece. The composing means were chance operations dervied from the I-Ching.»

bild.jpg

Guest Wall Bird
I'm down.

dood. This thing looks wicked. Going to try to make a PD patch to make it send midi.

Ever seen a John Cage score?

Definitely, his scores vary pretty wildly. I still have no idea what the score for his Fontana Mix series are telling me:

picture-19.png

George Crumb's 'Black Angels' is also a monster of a score. It's dimensions are about 2' x 2'. It's ridiculous to carry around under your arm. Really interesting notation. I would definitely recommend looking it up along with the Kronos Quartet's performance.

Anthony Braxton, the sax player and composer, has some pretty bizarre interpretive scores as well. 20th century music scores can get pretty far out there, if I do say so.

And I do...

ok, these are all nice ideas, but how are we gonna decide on something? i was thinking that we nominate someone to actually come up with something original, rather than use something existing.

though some of the stuff that has been posted so far has been interesting.

shall we limit it to a solo instrument/synth, or do you cunce wanna go crazy with instrumentation?

So you think someone should actually write some new score? There is so much work and theory behind these scores that it would take years for someone to write something that wasn't just gibberish.

It would be cool to do a john cage score...can you even find them anywhere?

Limits could be cool, but also the score is so open to interpretation that limiting the construction of the music might make certain interpretations impossible.

So you think someone should actually write some new score? There is so much work and theory behind these scores that it would take years for someone to write something that wasn't just gibberish.

well i guess that was the point, having someone draw up something arbitrary and we all try to make sense of it in some way.. though i guess a john cage score would be the same effect anyway, unless some of us have actually heard the piece in question.

Guest spraaaa

omg I tried so hard to find a copy of la monte young's compositions book one time... don't remember what it was called but I read it had stuff like above but also instructions like "draw a straight line" or "get a bucket of water and some straw, feed the piano until it is happy."

ligeti had some really badass visual scores too.

Archived