IGNORED

Vista Sequencing

Guest hahathhat

Guest hahathhat

okay, i have a nice box at home running XP, cubase sx 3, happy with it.

i tried to recreate that on my here laptop running Vista so i could noodle with my tunes on the road.

however, can't get cubase sx 3 to work in vista. fucks up windows, in fact, i have to system restore it.

i tried logic platinum 5.5, no dice either.

what sequencing package will WORK on vista? what i really want is MULTITRACK AUDIO EDITING, cut slice process etc. with VST SUPPORT.

Guest coiski

do the ableton thang. really it equally rivals with cubase now.

the audio core-engine was improved from v6-v7 massively.

Guest hahathhat

ummm, hate to be a dick, but do either of those have a screen like this?

Cubase-SX3-project-lg.jpg

i want blocks of audio, a scissors tool, the ability to create audio trax and drag blocks of audio around.

i already have live installed but i never use it, can it work like this?

i don't need a tutorial but i don't want to waste time on it unless i can work like that

It has exactly that.

1) Your audio clip move/copy/paste/slice sequencer/multitrack audio editer thinger.

2) Your slice tool. Click this then click a clip at the point you want to slice. You can snap to a grid along the beat or hold alt to do snap-free slicing & placement.

3) This is the pattern sequencer. Load up your VSTs and make your patterns then place them here. These can also be sliced/moved and place on or off a grid of your choosing.

This is the newest version, v8, where they added a ton of great automation features for the upper part (1). Highly recommended. It's also what I use to make all those mixes.

reaper is a good option. it does multitrack recording, cutting/crossfading/punch in+out/etc, midi sequencing, vst/dx instruments and effects. plus the interface is really simple. which is good for people like me who think the interfaces of ableton and fl studio are a little bloated. only drawback is that there's no pattern sequencer, but there isn't one in cubase anyway, right?

If you wanna keep using Cubase, you might want to give the Virtual PC program a try, that's what I'm doing right now with my pirated versions of both Cubase and the 64-bit version of that great OS, you can install XP on the Virtual PC (if you've got a CD of windows xp) and install cubase on that virtual pc setup.

reaper is a good option. it does multitrack recording, cutting/crossfading/punch in+out/etc, midi sequencing, vst/dx instruments and effects. plus the interface is really simple. which is good for people like me who think the interfaces of ableton and fl studio are a little bloated. only drawback is that there's no pattern sequencer, but there isn't one in cubase anyway, right?

reaper totally didn't work for me. midi timing-wise, it's the absolutely worst piece of software i've seen so far. midi is all i use though, so it might be usable. but i'd still be suspicious. also, the interface really isn't that well thought out.

i had massive troubles getting cubase 4 to work on my new machine, running vista 64. but i got it to work after like a month of trying. don't ask me how, i won't remember. it works really stable now, midi is rock-solid.

Guest Laughable Butane Bob

Install XP on the laptop? Anyone actually using their computer should be running 2000 or XP.

Failing that, ABL7.

Install XP on the laptop? Anyone actually using their computer should be running 2000 or XP.

Failing that, ABL7.

the problem with a lot of laptops these days is that the manufacturers (at least Toshiba lol) often don't offer drivers for other OSs than the one the notebook normally comes with, so you're basically have no other option than to stay with Vista

reaper totally didn't work for me. midi timing-wise, it's the absolutely worst piece of software i've seen so far. midi is all i use though, so it might be usable. but i'd still be suspicious. also, the interface really isn't that well thought out.

that's odd. what version did you use? there have been some major improvements over the last 6 months or so. though i've never tried it with external midi devices, just with vsts - and it's been perfect for that.

Guest David R James

If someone has already said try this then soz, but try right clicking the icon for sx3>properties>compatibility mode> and choose windows xp sp2 and see if that works. Worth a try if u havent done it already. But obviously u can only do that if u install it.

ummm, hate to be a dick, but do either of those have a screen like this?

Cubase-SX3-project-lg.jpg

i want blocks of audio, a scissors tool, the ability to create audio trax and drag blocks of audio around.

i already have live installed but i never use it, can it work like this?

i don't need a tutorial but i don't want to waste time on it unless i can work like that

You can very much select blocks of quantized or un quantized audio to any size you want and you can cut, rearrange or duplicate real fast in ableton exactly how you say.

Select a chunk of audio in the arrange window and hit (i think on windows its) control-d for duplicate. For cut/scissor you select the chunk of audio and hit control-e. If you want to make a selection of audio a new audio file its control-j.

is a it a cracked version of sx3 or the real deal? You should ask for support from steinberg if you are a legal owner. If it is a cracked version if sx3 then the problem is probably in the driver that is used to emulated the dongle.

Guest hahathhat

thanks to everyone for their replies; i'll tinker around and get back to y'all.

btw -- i tried reaper ages ago and found it too ghetto for my tastes.

is a it a cracked version of sx3 or the real deal? You should ask for support from steinberg if you are a legal owner. If it is a cracked version if sx3 then the problem is probably in the driver that is used to emulated the dongle.

yes, you've nailed it unfortunately. i have a lot of respect for the H2O group -- if i had a lot of free time, i might enquire about joining -- but their dongle crack, great under XP, fucks my Vistas over somthin srs.

i'd love to buy cubase, but i already had to borrow money to make march rent.

Nevermind trying Virtual PC, maybe VMWare's better but my laptop was lagging like hell when I started Nepheton in Cubase on that VPC thingy

• 2 weeks later...

I second Reaper now as well, it's very stable when running it with Vista 64-bit. I don't really like the MIDI editing in the key editor, it's a bit awkward, but I might be missing something, I'd like to have a draw tool and line tool and all that stuff that was available in Cubase, but Reaper does the job.

Also when you load up Nepheton or any plug-in that has multiple audio channels, it automatically creates new tracks for them, that's what I like about the DAW as well.

Nuendo/Cubase SX3, and 4 have worked fine in Vista for me. Perhaps you need the newest SX 3 update?

It's hard for me to make the switch to another Sequencer, so i can understand why Fruity wouldn't cut it.

edit: the latest h20 Nuendo 3 dongle cracks work pretty good. its pretty much identical to cubase.

you can also load cubase files into Nuendo, it is fully compatible

Guest hahathhat
hat, are you running vista 32 or 64 bit?

Nuendo/Cubase SX3, and 4 have worked fine in Vista for me. Perhaps you need the newest SX 3 update?

It's hard for me to make the switch to another Sequencer, so i can understand why Fruity wouldn't cut it.

edit: the latest h20 Nuendo 3 dongle cracks work pretty good. its pretty much identical to cubase.

you can also load cubase files into Nuendo, it is fully compatible

Nuendo works. Thanks a bundle.

Archived