IGNORED

should i be scared of windows vista?

Chris Moss Acid

im getting a new laptop soon just a cheapo one for my music (dell 1525) and it comes with vista..and as i still run windows xp im kind of scared to make the change..but should i be? is vista finally alright to use?

it apparently comes with Windows Vista Home Premium

don't be scared, just be aware that it holds your hand in a scary paedo kind of way.

and it probably won't run half your software.

the analog clock is nice though.

you should be if you don't have at least 2 gigs of ram, and even if you do you should probably still be scared

well this is the one im gonna get

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-I...ook.8005.0.html

would it be easy getting it back to xp?

you should be if you don't have at least 2 gigs of ram, and even if you do you should probably still be scared

it's probably take a day searching for drivers etc, and another full day to install. i've done it twice now on my vaio... (came with vista and a 'downgrade' cd)

it would be if you have an install cd , but if there is any way to put in more RAM i would recommend it if planning to use Vista

i can go for Windows Vista ® Basic... whatever that is..

i have a dell windows xp media edition installation disk which i have for this laptop (1501) with the drivers cd too

would that work?

but really all im using it (the laptop) for is ableton and traktor/virtual dj .. to run smoothly and not crash or freeze up

Vista 64 is a great OS....

infact every version of Vista is a great OS....

you don't need a super computer to run it, just a reasonably up to date spec....

Vista only has this stupid stigma because when it first came out everyone was an XP fanboy that thought Vista needed a too high spec to run properly....

People don't seem to realise how solid vista really is, and like to follow XP fan boys about how shit it is...

I run xp, purely because i can't be bothered to format and fix this piece of shit, but if i was going to, i'd install Vista 64 in an instant.

JUST LIKE WHEN XP CAME OUT, AFTER 2000, EVERYONE WAS LIKE, LOL XP IS LIKE SHIT MATE OMG TOTAL NOOB OS

i can go for Windows Vista ® Basic... whatever that is..

but really all im using it (the laptop) for is ableton and traktor/virtual dj .. to run smoothly and not crash or freeze up

then i would downgrade to XP, running Vista is only going to make your computer run slower but look more pretty

if you have the proper amount of ram running Vista would work fine, both from my experience run equally well.

Chris, I tried installing Logic on a Vista laptop and it took (and I'm not kidding) 20 minutes to transfer 100mb of files. Afterwards it wouldn't even run Logic. So there...

How easy is it to pirate XP? I'm not asking how, just how easy it is. Like to get a corporate licensed version pirated?(those don't have and activation, I used to install it on computers at work.)

Guest jubes

The answer is no, vista sucks and Dell sucks balls also, !! you should probably spend 50% more for a laptop that will be just about 200% more durable than a friggin dell

No. 1 choice for overall quality : ASUS

no2 a good old mac for music is the best

a sony and finally a toshiba

if not , go to dell

im using it and its ok, but ive got bugs i cant sort out. (not saying that i never ended up with a buggy xp install after a while)

i like it more than xp. search function is cool and it has a couple other neato functions.

search for threads relating to dropouts with the dells.

i bought a vaio instead and still have some dropouts, but nowhere near as bad as eds dell. he had to go to xp fo it even to work.

edit* AUDIO DROPOUTS. bad ones at that.

Guest Adjective

i'm using vista home basic, since it was the cheapest OS option for my lenovo laptop at the time. disabled a lot of stuff, like "are you sure?" and graphical candy, and it's been okay. using renoise + ozone, random vsts, with an echo indigo IOx.

it's been pretty solid most of the time, i noticed something seems to crash occasionally in renoise but i can't tell if it's renoise or a vst. even during those crashes i'm still able ot save my work so it's not too bad. haven't had any issues that made me feel a need to downgrade.

I've never had it crash on me like XP, 98, and 95 used to all the time, so I consider it to be better from experience.

The occasional processing-heavy game might freeze up, but I always assume that's the game's fault.

Never had any problem with DAWs or wav editors or the like.

Archived