IGNORED

funny thing about drone music

Salvatorin

Guest bitroast
And besides, fuck you guys.

I listen to drone every day all day: it's called tinnitus. I've been thinking about how to isolate this frequency I'm "hearing" and produce a full length track of that pitch so I can blast it whenever my tinnitus really starts bothering me.

do it. i'm sure blasting a high pitch tone really loudly will only help your tinnitus :)

you could always release it as really really minimal drone music.

(kind of similar in concept to aphex twin's ventolin)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few times I have heard several notes playing in succession, slowly, far away, and repeatedly. It was very nice to listen to but it never lasted long; and eventually I found out it was just the intro of a synthy pop song filtered through several walls.

And besides, fuck you guys.

I listen to drone every day all day: it's called tinnitus. I've been thinking about how to isolate this frequency I'm "hearing" and produce a full length track of that pitch so I can blast it whenever my tinnitus really starts bothering me.

or you could try to use the idea of noise canceling headphones to phase out the frequency, would this work for tinnitus? IDK, but try it and get back to us

Guest cardan
a couple days ago i kept hearing a clicky noise, the kind when something rattles from vibrations of you walking. it was intermittant and bothered me, but i couldn't figure out what it was!! i spent some time walking around the room and stomping, jumping, pounding various parts of the walls.

if you saw me and didn't know what i was doing, you'd probably have thought i was insane.

WOAH the other day the same thing was happening as I walked. Everytime I stepped up I heard a click, after awhile I figured it was my skull.

yea we're all totally fucked, there's just no way around it anymore, unless we all destroy/abandon technology and move into the woods/nature... and i had a genuinely hearty "lol" at your thread-starting post....

Guest assegai

came here for lols left satisfied

/somafm is excellent radio, especially groovesalad

Lowercase music is about as close to silence as it gets.. and some of it is actually pretty good.

Sleepbot kicks the living shit out of dronezone

That's a good one, have you heard of bluemars?

yeah bluemars has some great tunes but its best substation cryosleep has a small playlist, and alot of cheesy music interrupting the really good tracks. The best artist I discovered through it is probably Matt Borghi

Drone zone has good music, but it also suffers from alot of that really cheesy "Yoga Relaxation Volume 34" type of stuff.. Loudly mastered, derivative, undelicate.

Sleepbot, however, is like an endless cavalcade of immensely great avantgarde music, ambient, drones, odd sounds, mixes, scary, soothing, beautiful music..

I've listened to it for close to 4 years and I've rarely heard the same song twice.. makes me glad to have been streamripping as much as I could, couldn't possibly find 90% of the shit there in stores. Only bad thing is the 56k encoding.

Also. I once emailed the guy who runs it to mention a song which interrupted my sleep (loud church bells), and he actually removed it from the playlist.

Yeah groovesalad has had way too big a hand in shaping my music taste for the latest 5 years or so.

Lowercase music is about as close to silence as it gets.. and some of it is actually pretty good.

Sleepbot kicks the living shit out of dronezone

That's a good one, have you heard of bluemars?

yeah bluemars has some great tunes but its best substation cryosleep has a small playlist, and alot of cheesy music interrupting the really good tracks. The best artist I discovered through it is probably Matt Borghi

Drone zone has good music, but it also suffers from alot of that really cheesy "Yoga Relaxation Volume 34" type of stuff.. Loudly mastered, derivative, undelicate.

Sleepbot, however, is like an endless cavalcade of immensely great avantgarde music, ambient, drones, odd sounds, mixes, scary, soothing, beautiful music..

I've listened to it for close to 4 years and I've rarely heard the same song twice.. makes me glad to have been streamripping as much as I could, couldn't possibly find 90% of the shit there in stores. Only bad thing is the 56k encoding.

Also. I once emailed the guy who runs it to mention a song which interrupted my sleep (loud church bells), and he actually removed it from the playlist.

Yeah groovesalad has had way too big a hand in shaping my music taste for the latest 5 years or so.

yeah I just listened to sleepbot for awhile and really liked it

Guest Rogueofmv

Maybe I should record the sound of the ICEE machine in the commons and loop it, then publish it as a drone track.

Or, you know, the first minute of Moya by Godspeed You! Black Emperor. They sound exactly the same.

Guest hahathhat
a couple days ago i kept hearing a clicky noise, the kind when something rattles from vibrations of you walking. it was intermittant and bothered me, but i couldn't figure out what it was!! i spent some time walking around the room and stomping, jumping, pounding various parts of the walls.

if you saw me and didn't know what i was doing, you'd probably have thought i was insane.

WOAH the other day the same thing was happening as I walked. Everytime I stepped up I heard a click, after awhile I figured it was my skull.

yea we're all totally fucked, there's just no way around it anymore, unless we all destroy/abandon technology and move into the woods/nature... and i had a genuinely hearty "lol" at your thread-starting post....

the woods ain't quiet. total silence is actually rare on most areas of earth... and even in those places i have tinnitus to comfort me, i make sound as i come and go...

I dunno, Fairbanks woods in winter is just about as quiet as you can get, and dark. Around Christmas, somewhere in the bush, you can see millions of stars, and sometimes even the aurora. The aurora sounds like drone music.

• 7 months later...

I was recently stayed in a hotel with a friend, and upon entering the room I realized I was hearing the first chord of "Fair Weather Friends." The low note of the chord was emanating out of the bathroom, and the upper note of the chord was reverberating out of the radiator. I wasn't exactly sure, so halfway through a conversation I was just like, "be quiet for a sec and let me hear the radiator." I then got out my ipod and sure enough the bathroom+radiator combo matched exactly with the first chord of the Daedelus track. AWESOME.

Also, I had a little impromptu drone music session after I broke into this guys house with about 6 other people. I found a bunch of wine glasses and then tuned them to a sus6+9 chord and it was beautiful.

I also was at a place with a reed pump organ...I found a bunch of small weights to hold down keys and created an incredibly rich droning chord, so all I had to was pump ..maybe I will post it

I was thinking about this thread the other day, after listening to a semi-truck thrum for about fifteen minutes.

I dunno, Fairbanks woods in winter is just about as quiet as you can get, and dark. Around Christmas, somewhere in the bush, you can see millions of stars, and sometimes even the aurora. The aurora sounds like drone music.

Literally: Sounds really cool.

Figuratively: Sounds like sex.

Hey though, I wouldn't think of it like you have such poor taste that ambient sounds get you going, I would think of it like you have such a profound appreciation for sound that you can find beauty in unexpected places. I'm not being sarcastic or anything, that's seriously how I see it. Sometimes I catch myself bobbing my head to the natural beats of machinery, like the washing machine. I don't think it's that I'm crazy, but that everyone else is crazy for finding annoyance instead of enjoyment in something like that.

dunno if it was mentioned here, but i found a torrent called Heaven Space and White Lights...its a mix of almost 60 hours of ambient music, its fucking amazing...highly recommended

Archived