IGNORED

zazen

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw Avatar at the weekend. It was the biggest disappointment, Cameron fucking sucks. What happened to Aliens and T2!? They were amazing films. It's like he spent the 00's sucking cock under the ocean rather than concentrating on writing half decent films.

Fuck Cameron.

really? Elaborate please...

this movie is gonna be such cheese.

I gotta say, after holding out hope for some time, that I suspect you're right.

I saw Avatar at the weekend. It was the biggest disappointment, Cameron fucking sucks. What happened to Aliens and T2!? They were amazing films. It's like he spent the 00's sucking cock under the ocean rather than concentrating on writing half decent films.

Fuck Cameron.

Nah not really, I was lying. Just thought I'd do the opposite of what karmakramer's doing. Sorry

So there's a lot of talk going around after some screeners were shown yesterday that the Golden Globes is shifting there best picture and director selections around. It appears Avatar is more than meets the eye and crictics are whispering very very good things.

So there's a lot of talk going around after some screeners were shown yesterday that the Golden Globes is shifting there best picture and director selections around. It appears Avatar is more than meets the eye and crictics are whispering very very good things.

I was with you for a while karmakramer but my faith is wavering after seeing that weaver-narrated mini doc...we shall see...

The main thing I'm hoping for is that it has the loopy "far out" quality of those 70's sci-fi/fantasy novels I read as a kid, before the sci-fi/horror blend and rusty warehouse aesthetics took over. In a way it looks pre-Alien/s.

I haven't watched anything else except that chase scene and trailers... But it still baffles me how much hate this gets considering who is making it and the consistent positive leaked impressions from crictics.

I haven't watched anything else except that chase scene and trailers... But it still baffles me how much hate this gets considering who is making it and the consistent positive leaked impressions from crictics.

film is a visual medium and people are just following their eyes. Their eyes tell them it's Dances with Wolves with smurfs. The first trailer was pretty terrible. However, I think best case scenario is that Cameron manages to elevate the material above its maudlin, cliche roots as he did with Titanic. He has a tendency to succeed despite his taste for cheese.

film is a visual medium and people are just following their eyes. Their eyes tell them it's Dances with Wolves with smurfs. The first trailer was pretty terrible. However, I think best case scenario is that Cameron manages to elevate the material above its maudlin, cliche roots as he did with Titanic. He has a tendency to succeed despite his taste for cheese.

All of his films are cliche, its the execution that matters and Cameron has always shown he delivers in spades. Judge all you want from a trailer, but you do realize that is an absolutely terrible way to critique a film.

heh @ dances with wolves with smurfs ... plus if it's 70's sci-fi novel, they had better do some drugs ... + then if they do this .. i wonder if hallucinogens on that planet make everything a greyscale blanditude ..

rather than a bluescale gae'itude ..

;-p

need i say yet again that cameron made the worst film of all time?.

also he's no Spielberg, and spielberg doesn't get this much hype.

Yeah he's no Spielberg... thats why once Spielberg saw some of Avatar he completely changed production on his latest film Tin Tin to be 3D and use Cameron's performance capture technology.

--

Quote:

Yeah, I went to the set… I can tell you that sh*t was mindblowing. The sh*t I saw was crazy. Like, craaaazy. I think it’s gonna be gigantic. It’s gonna be another one of those benchmarks. There’s gonna be Before that movie and After.

-Steven Soderbergh (Director of Ocean's Eleven and Che)

Quote:

I’m filming a book by Joe Haldeman called Forever War. I’ve got a good writer doing it. I’ve seen some of James Cameron’s work, and I’ve got to go 3D. It’s going to be phenomenal.

-Ridley Scott (Director of Alien and Blackhawk Down | Will possibly shoot an Alien prequel in 3D in the near future)

Quote:

And you know, with something like Avatar coming out, it sort of helps me reclaim the childhood sense of discovery I got from Jim Cameron when I saw Alien or when I saw Terminator for the first time, seeing the trailer for that film brings back all of those memories and makes me realize why I got into this business so…

-Richard Kelly (Director of Donnie Darko and the Box]

Quote:

"Some of them seriously artistic and ungimmicky!! I’ve seen AVATAR and I was absolutely blow away by it!! I myself expect to explore 3D soon enough

-Guillermo Del Toro (Director of Pan's Labyrinth)

Quote:

News Headline: Peter Jackson Pledges to Shoot in 3D From Now On after seeing Avatar

-Peter Jackson

Quote:

It's funny, Paramount talked to me about doing the first one in 3D and having it only be my second film I was petrified," the director said. "I thought it would be another dimension of pain-in-the-ass. I just wanted to make a descent 2D movie. I was so worried that rather than being a descent 2D movie it would be a bad 3D one so I'm open to looking at it because now I feel a little bit more comfortable. If I in fact direct the sequel of our Star Trek film 3D could be really fun. So I'm open to it. What I've seen of Avatar makes me want to do it because it's so crazy cool looking.

-J.J Abrams (Director of Star Trek)

Quote:

-Is there anything you’d like to try out with style or special effects in your later films?

"I want to make a huge special effects movie. I have seen James Cameron’s Avatar, that 17 minute clip. It was amazing. I want to make one."

-John Woo

Quote:

"Yes! I’d love to shoot a 3D movie, it’s something that fascinates me! The more the audience is immerse the better it is!“

-Michael Mann

Other Directors who praised Avatar:

-Steven Spielberg (Tintin movie in 3D)

-George Lucas (Rumoured to make a new Star Wars Trilogy in 3D if Avatar is successful)

--

Thy Hype is warranted you fucking cocksuckers.

I think its pretty impressive that Jim is able to basically convince the biggest names in blockbuster filmmaking to go to 3D... none of them saw the whole movie obviously... but as I said from the early reports of people who have seen it, it has been described as "brilliant' and a "game changer." So please continue making vague comparisons with Dances with Wolves or Smurfs or whatever, but until you see the actual film, its really just your opinion that is based on nothing but advertising.

its really just your opinion that is based on nothing but advertising.

lol

Showing anticipation/excitement for something which warrants excitement (Cameron's track record, positive impressions, etc) is a bit different then calling something a piece of shit without seeing it. If you aren't interested in the film, fine... but you sure do share your opinion quite often in this thread, which comes across as pretty unnecessary. Are you going to see the film in theaters even?

there's some pretty wonky quotes on that list, people gushing over the same trailer we all saw makes me question their judgment.

As far as the 3D viewing goes, I think it'll fail or at least struggle until they can figure out a way that doesn't require any glasses at all. Not sure if there's any way to do that.

Archived