IGNORED

zazen

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mr Salads
Rumour has it that Cameron has so far rejected 8 different trailers supplied by the marketing department at Fox, and now he is working on his own trailer.

Good boy.

Too often a trailer either ruins or misrepresents a film..

Jesus christ now this guy is hyping up his own goddamn trailer

Guest hahathhat

i, for one, hope this IS something amazing. not because of any particular way i feel about cameron, but because movies could use something new. last ten years (and more) have largely been recycled bullshit.

theater movies, that is.

So Cinema Expo is a film trade show running this week in Amsterdam, and yesterday, 24 minutes of 3D Avatar footage were shown to a select crowd of about 1200 people, all of whom had to sign non-disclosure agreements.

Descriptions of the footage are now coming through on the internet, and the blogmaster over at MarketSaw (one of the blogs following Avatar) is wetting himself with excitement:

The consensus of those chosen ones who filled the seats of the RAI Auditorium for the Avatar presentation is that they witnessed something historic ... Awe is the second major reaction. The inability to articulate what they just saw. Or perhaps more aptly, the knowledge that their efforts to communicate the experience are completely futile. For Avatar is not something that can be put into words-It is an emotional experience, utilizing technology that shouldn't exist for 10 years or more. It is dreaming with your eyes open.

some of the tweets:

@gjkooijman: still can't process the Avatar presentation he saw. It's nothing you can imagine, it's real. Cameron made a new planet and took a cam there.

@NafRas: OMG keep this in mind James Cameron's AVATAR this Dec. it's gonna rock the way u see movies! Preview @ cinema expo leaves me wanting more

@sperling: It's official! The footage from "Avatar" shown at Cine Expo was amazing. Absolutely stunning in 3D. Should be a huge hit.

@UCSNord: "Avatar" footage at #cinexpo: CGI was photorealistic, characters look really real. Believe the hype, this movie will be massive!

@UCSNord: Footage from "Avatar" at #cinexpo was stunning, literally jawdropping. Amazing visuals unlike any before seen, with incredible detail.

more here (contains spoilers)

What is most imporant about this movie: Everything lives and breathes ... There's a shot of leaves somewhere which is so photorealistic you don't want to think it's CGI. You believe this world from the get-go. It's there, you don't need to believe it because you will experience it.

The cast and Cameron came back on stage after the last clip, took a VERY VERY VERY long round of applause and the houselights came on.

The audience afterwards was stunned. Everyone just gasped, wondered and just couldnt believe what they saw. Cameron is so proud of this movie and still handles it with great suave like he just folded a paper plane. I am just mindbaffled how a genius like that can contain himself with something like this.

This movie will change the industry. It can now enable me to play a character in a studio, then to be transferred into something different on screen so an audience will believe I am that different character. This is not the Polar Express style 'change of character'. This will enable actors to act without them being cast on looks, but on bodylanguage from now on.

Another account here and also here

What I'm taking from this is that the footage is going to be impressive, however the plot sounds something like

'pocohontas' with pterodactyl and mech-suits, or, if we are lucky, 'dances with wolves' with pterodactyl and mech-suits

Feel like I'm going to be seeing this for the sheer spectacle. Mechs don't do it for me, the plot doesn't sound all that interesting, but who knows!

Also, when you've directed two awesome Terminator flicks and Aliens, anything you make kinda demands to be seen at least once.

Guest Mr Salads
What I'm taking from this is that the footage is going to be impressive, however the plot sounds something like

Soldier falls in love w/ a native, but they cant actually be together in a physical sense.

searching around for leaked footage and I havent found any (not suprising because it would be hard to film a 3D presentation anyway)

but i did find this loloriffic 'teaser trailer' made by a fan:

worth it for the music, the classic cameron footage from past movies, and the last frame. just a shame that he used Times New Roman font.

Guest Stoppit

I can't wait for this...

...but if it turns out to be a crappily scripted CGI monstrosity like Revenge of the Sith, then I will be the most disappointed I have ever been since the time when I was 7 years old and I snuck downstairs on Christmas Eve to take a peek at Santa Claus, and he raped me and stole all my presents

Guest hahathhat

i wear glasses and i've never tried contacts. am i gonna have to double up with dorky stereoscopic glasses? will it work at all??

Soldier falls in love w/ a native, but they cant actually be together in a physical sense.

yeah that, and also possibly we're in for a

heavyhanded message of enviromentalism and respect for tribal peoples, which is a sentiment I agree with, but is also a sentiment that has shagged up many a script

but whatever, i'm going to go and see this movie for sure.

i wear glasses and i've never tried contacts. am i gonna have to double up with dorky stereoscopic glasses? will it work at all??

I wear glasses and I've been to see quite a few 3d movies at the London iMax. Its fine - the 3D glasses are massive so they just fit over the top of your regular specs.

edit: the 3d glasses are just polarised filters, so they can go on top of your normal glasses without interfering with the optics.

searching around for leaked footage and I havent found any (not suprising because it would be hard to film a 3D presentation anyway)

but i did find this loloriffic 'teaser trailer' made by a fan:

worth it for the music, the classic cameron footage from past movies, and the last frame. just a shame that he used Times New Roman font.

LOL!

Your eyes.. Will be FUCKED

• 3 weeks later...

The first public (as opposed to private) screening of 3d Avatar footage will be at Comic-Con on Thursday July 23rd.

A trailer might be coming in mid August, end of August:

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2009/06/avatar-navi-description-trailer-update.html

(Cameron) told me he has a trailer, but isn't done with it. He wants it to showcase what the world is like, rather than impress with 3D because in his opinion most people will watch the trailer online

... "Just heard from my contact that the cut of that trailer isn't final. It's what Cameron has now to give FOX an idea of the direction he wants to take the trailer. It was shown to fox execs at the Cinema Expo this morning (June 23rd). It'll be heavily tweaked and won't be expected until mid/end august to be shown online/cinema's etc."

Also, someone from the crew talks about the creature and foliage designs:

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2009/06/avatar-letter-from-crewperson.html

i've never seen so much hype for a movie, and i've been obsessively following movie news since the internet began, basically

it can't possibly live up to the hype, it seems clear; if only in terms of plot/story (think of every james cameron film; the abyss? aliens? titanic? not exactly bastions of great writing) ... but visually, it seems very possible.

I can't wait for this...

...but if it turns out to be a crappily scripted CGI monstrosity like Revenge of the Sith

You're talking about James Cameron here, please remember. His ego is so big he will always find a way to make it work.

I don't know why, but everything I've read about this movie makes me think it will be a failure - I'm most certainly wrong though, so I'll remain open-minded until it hits theatres or a proper trailer is released.

What was the last James Cameron film to come out?

Archived