IGNORED

The Shimmering Hour

zazen

why is it only 10 bucks at that store???

its in the UK, so its 10 quid, which is about 16 bucks by todays quid-to-bucks exchange rate

i work just near to berwick street (location of the sister ray record shop) - i'm gonna go down there at lunch and nick it from there too.

too late, last night i bought all the copies from all the shops in berwick street and dumped them near the tills in poundstretcher in Acton high street

bastard

My God, I thought Sister Ray had gone bust - Last time I walked past them (when everything else was closing down) there was a big sign outside saying they'd gone into administration. Great news !

"Þann gel ek þér annan,

ef þú árna skalt

viljalauss á vegum:

Urðar lokur

haldi þér öllum megum,

er þú á sinnum sér."

The Galder of Groa, verse 7

“I sing you the second

so that if you wander

without will on the road,

Urth’s ward songs

may hold you with all main

when you are on the way.”

from a translation of the Poetic Edda, a collection of Old Norse Poems dating from roughly 1000 years ago.

Track 12 (Hidebehind) i think....is balls out awesome....

you would love this, I was listening to the cd while travelling on a train and reading get this....a book on the medieval history of Lower England...hahaha twas perfect

alright, had to edit, it was track 13.

I think Ive digested this album enough and my favorite tracks are:

Teddy Oggie(no dispute there I think, just a genuinely awesome album opener)

Flat Rock(really sad nostalgic feeling with an afx-ish pad?)

Seaway Trail(the soaring pads in the beginning and the fuckin tight, TIGHT beat at the end)

World Rim Walker(creepy acid fest...love it!)

The Fire Above(classic Wisp, slightly cheese synths midievil rave style all over the place for a minute, then chills into a slower hiphop version of itself....really reminds me of his old track Slopes for some reason....lovely lovely track)

and the last track is beautiful, would love to hear a Wisp ambient album!

As Robotussin pointed out in EKT, there is a review of the shimmering hour by Jakub Alexander on Iso50 (Scott Hansen/Tycho's blog)

http://blog.iso50.com/2009/06/19/wisp-the-shimmering-hour

The comments are great too,

Will H Says:

June 20th, 2009 at 8:40 pm

This guy is the prime example of the IDM dream: Someday, after releasing tons of albums on netlabels that you composed in your parents basement, Aphex Twin/Venetian Snares will call you up for a chat and wisk you away to a magical kingdom of bars in England of people getting smashed to fucking weird music.

I love IDM.

A few more reviews, for those of us who like reading reviews of stuff we've already heard

The Silent Ballet reviews Wisp

.... sounds like the quintessential Rephlex album ... this is an album to soak up at home rather than bounce around the room. The rising chords on the second track "Picatrix" set the tone for much of the album, with glorious swathes of soaring melody. It is the bright, optimistic analogue tunes that hark back to much of the Rephlex catalogue, and it sounds as if Dunn is fully aware of his position in the story, of one continuing the work of his forebears ...

Dusted Magazine reviews Wisp

...The wait feels worth it ... As much as the press kit delights in whipping out AFX, Tangerine Dream and J.R.R. Tolkien, the real heart of this release is every pleasant dream you’ve ever had about Castlevania ... The Shimmering Hour is a well-deserved success for the man behind it.

A short review on Boomkat

... this album should go a long way to satisfy many electronica nuts with it's uncannily similar fusion of extreme beat complexities, emotive melodies and florid harmonics...

i just wanted to say that this might be my favorite 2009 release. epic, cheerful, beautiful, ...

incredible, how much detail there is in each and every track, wisp man, you really worked hard on this. and succeeded absolutely!

i just can't stop blasting this 5 times a day!

Archived