IGNORED

i need a musical enema

BCM

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BCM you're basically sounding like you think you're out of ideas, but you're obviously not. just need to put that bit of initial effort in experimenting more. you have made great music in the past and I know you can make more

try underexposing yourself to other peoples music. and try focusing on making music that you really enjoy yourself

Most noise is awful because people think it's easy.

+1

Try focusing on making music that you really enjoy yourself

TRUE DAT

Fuck everyone else. I like LOVE my music, even some of the ancient shit that is even more naive than I am today. I know what you are going through though BCM... believe me, it goes away, and you don't even need new gear to get it back. You ARE going to have to figure out the home situation... I understand that when you 1st get home, you may not feel like banging out tracks, and then when your bird comes home, you feel obligated to devote all your spare time to her... well... Talk to her about it. I'm sure she wouldn't mind some "her" time either.

Most noise is awful because people think it's easy.

show me the "best"/ your faves

I usually don't respond to stuff like this, because it goes one of two ways. Either i'll just get, "it's just noise, i can't see any talent" or someone will swoop out of nowhere tell me I'm a fag for not liking 'proper' noise like Sutcliffe Jugend, or Whitehouse all that much and then threaten to rape/eat a member of my family.

I don't really know what to say, I listen to noise for all kinds of different reasons and have favourites depending on the type, some times I want to fag out to droney synthy psychadelic stuff, and other times I just want to listen to walls, and then as if by magic I could want to listen to cut-ups, or free-jazz style stuff, and then to laptop generative noise, and then back to the kids vomiting into microphones and boss death metal pedals. There's too much going on in the area of noise to typify it with one sound, or a couple of different artists.

I did a good job of not answering that I think. :emotawesomepm9:

if i were you i would take a break from trying to make music and spend more time outside and wandering around different environments and hearing different noises and seeing different things. you will probably get some good ideas doing that. i have a notebook full of ideas right now even though i don't really have anything to make the music with, i am stoked to start working on it when i do. give yourself a break to collect ideas. maybe meditate a bit or something too. or lucid dream, i don't know.

it's probably that with a limited amount of time you're only going to have time to get everything up and running and then start something and decide it's not good and thenhave to leave it at that...

all the good stuff happens i think once you've been working at something for a few hours or whatever and it sounds horrible and then you have a breakthrough and the suddenly you finish it in the next 30 minutes. that or the stuff that just comes in a flash and seems to take no effort at all... the trick is to last through all the moments when you think everything's a waste of time for those 'no effort' parts.

and if you think about it, just sitting down for 30 minutes after work you're only going to get into that frustrated initial stage... so obviously after repeating that for a while you're just going to lose all self-confidence whatsoever.

qft for the most part.

Although I have finished songs months after starting them...occasionally.... but yes, those flashes are great... I've been electric for the past 3 days... Just wait, starting tomorrow, I'll have no motivation for a month. We'll see. I'm going to watch Tron now for the 1st time in 15 years. goodnight my sweet watmmmmmmmm.

spagett.png

I've made quite a bit of noise tracks when I don't really have an idea for a melodic song. Or something completely made of beats and no melodies.

cheers guys! you lot are awesome. definitely think I'm gonna get that x0xb0x though - owanaga owanaga beep beep byin yin wurrp - that's an acid riff btw

Guest Iain C

Yep I've just been looking at the source code to Linley's Dungeon Crawl and dwarves definitely have a higher aptitude with axes than with short blades

*hangs self*

personally, at the moment, i realized i'll never be as good as the musicians i love. it kinda feels pointless. i'm not quitting the hobby , just putting it to the side right now. i've done some wicked tracks imo but just as much bad stuff. so fuck it. i'm going to try the DJ tip because i love music.

Guest Rabid

Yep I've just been looking at the source code to Linley's Dungeon Crawl and dwarves definitely have a higher aptitude with axes than with short blades

*hangs self*

Dungeon Crawl was the only roguelike I've tried and I hated it.

You might also try:

Sorting/cleaning your sample libraries

Field Recording

analyzing/consuming music and music media (tutorials, blogs, books, movies)

Digging/sampling

Masturbating on 4chan

Guest JohnTqs

personally, at the moment, i realized i'll never be as good as the musicians i love. it kinda feels pointless. i'm not quitting the hobby , just putting it to the side right now. i've done some wicked tracks imo but just as much bad stuff. so fuck it. i'm going to try the DJ tip because i love music.

dude that's bullshit. shit takes time, don't quit

Archived