BCM

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Xellos

You might also try:

Sorting/cleaning your sample libraries

Field Recording

analyzing/consuming music and music media (tutorials, blogs, books, movies)

Digging/sampling

Masturbating on 4chan

Also:

Using new DAWs/software

Varying the process you use for making a song

Making music that doesn't have a predetermined genre, just making it and seeing where it goes.

make noise if that's what you enjoy. I've been making some really weird stuff lately, that frankly I'm not even sure what I think about it, but I have fun doing it. I have also thought about just doing a live noise show just for fun, maybe see how many people I can get to leave the place? IDK, have fucking fun man!

Guest sero_13

my name is Dan C as well you know. mental.

Me too. What are the chances? *Harry Hill style sigh*

I know how you feel mate, in the past year I've literally done fuck all but jam with my mates and talk about doing stuff. I just can't sit down and actually do it. Maybe I need to set goals or something

Guest Rabid

I make joke songs sometimes, i.e.: www.myspace.com/thebestmusicianofalltime

And of course there's www.myspace.com/joyrexmusic

I had a look through to give an example of joke tunes and i realised that i record hours and hours of utter shit.

Here's one i did yesterday before work

Keeps me on my toes :|

lol quality

Make some comedy tunes! Alleviates the pressure of makin something good but still keeps you fresh on your gear and takes no time, and makes ya mates laugh.

this is a funny track I made. I actually ended up liking it quite a lot. I'm thinking about doing a whole series of acid remixes of krunk rap.

http://tellmesomethingnice.com/tunes/abf/donk.mp3

Make some comedy tunes! Alleviates the pressure of makin something good but still keeps you fresh on your gear and takes no time, and makes ya mates laugh.

this is a funny track I made. I actually ended up liking it quite a lot. I'm thinking about doing a whole series of acid remixes of krunk rap.

Put a donk on it.

that's what lead me to find the donk song. :p

I have totally the same issue with the small flat and never enough time alone to do anything. I really need to compartmentalize some shit as well. Great thread about everyday obstacles to overcome.

I used to think that music is all about adding complexity in all of the right places. Fading shit in, putting layers of effects on.

TOTALLY NOT TRUE.(okay, it sometimes works, but just sometimes, if you have the right vision in the first place)

There is a conundrum here, you find this doesn't work, so you make simple tracks, but thats the problem simple tracks are TOO SIMPLE.

Now this leads to a new solution. The best way to make a track is to make a track a complex as possible, and THEN start subtracting from it. Fade shit out(not in), let tracks breath, only 2 or three at a time should be in the forefront, then fade those parts out later on and let other parts take the forefront. XDM5a is a good example of a track that works like this(or synthecon 9), lots of complexity, parts that work with each other but you never hear ALL of the parts at once, some fade in while the others fade out. This idea can be applied to effect channels too.

Okay what I have said is totally fucking generalized but its an idea I like to keep in my mind when I'm mixing and composing.

i don't get it... in my opinion, taking a break/walk/whatever is only acceptable as an advice when having a "writing" block period, but for "inspiration"? that's bullshit. you are writing music. imo, your only source for "inspiration" (whatever you call it) are musical notes. that's what i do when i begin a composition. i play around with the keyboard, put some notes together -thus creating a melody-, make variations of that melody, build up rhythm patterns, create the song structure, etc. that's my goal, to create a song around a melody. melodies are the most important thing in music. through melodies music can express emotions. it is not easy... but is fun.

and about needing a musical enema... my advice is to stop making music for a while and just listen to it; grab some that you've never heard before or something that you've played a thousand times but it's special to you and recognize those things that call your attention. it might be rhythm, overall production, specific production techniques (idm is just full of them), etc. you have to know what you like. then you'll be able to make some stuff on your own. i say this as a counterpart for "get some air, listen to the sounds of the city, blah blah". bullshit. MUSIC. that is. just my opinion though.

I forgot to add this tip of mine. Sometimes, when facing writers block... an empty sound canvas in front of me, I try to think of song titles first, then create the music to audibly describe the track title. Does that make sense?

ex (these are taken btw): "Slither", "Catheter Insertion", "Jungle Cock", "Aphid Herder", "Overdose", etc...

The list goes on forever. Think of a great & descriptive title, then work from there!

autnv5jpg.gif

Archived