IGNORED

what should the task manager look like?

Guest Helper ET

Guest Helper ET

ive been looking around and im not really getting any clear answers anywhere. i just want to know which processes are needed...5 svchost.exes, that cant be right. id experiment around but every time i try, i end up closing a needed process and my pc activates auto shutdown

taskmanagerbad.png

thanks

8 svchost.exe tasks isn't unusual at all. As long as it isn't hogging up your memory then you're just fine. The svchost.exe tasks can be used as hosts by trojans and backdoor applications which will then slow down your computer and you should see the tasks using about 50 mb of memory. but seeing as it only uses about 25 mb of memory you should be just fine.

If you're curious to see what is running behind all those walls of svchost.exe tasks then do the following:

Click 'Start' -> 'Run' -> Type in 'msconfig' and click 'Start'/'Start Up' and you should se be able to see all the invisible applications that are running on your computer.

Guest mafted

that's about as clean as you can get it.. you really only need explorer running, but most of that other stuff is for da ininet.

the only what i dont recognize is what mDNSResponder. it's probably nothing though. and yes, shutting down random processes is a bad idea, what especially system processes........

the only what i dont recognize is what mDNSResponder. it's probably nothing though. and yes, shutting down random processes is a bad idea, what especially system processes........

The process mdnsresponder.exe is a component of the Apple Service, which is identified with the Bonjour for Windows software application initially utilized by iTunes because of its music sharing functionality. The mdnsresponder.exe process is a native element of the Mac OS X operating system and is associated with the MDNSNSP.DLL, which was ported for the Microsoft Windows Operating System environment.

Guest Helper ET

cool thanks for the help guys. im gonna go look at my invisible processes now squee

one problem i still have is that ones like applemobiledeviceservice.exe. keep popping up. i know i dont need it cause im constantly having to end it

fore the most part though it looks like im good to go :sorcerer:

There was an interesting blog post by mark russonovich, (the author of the aforementioned Process Explorer) where he figured out a way to shut down almost all of the extra processes on XP.

let me find it...

http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2005/07/24/running-windows-with-no-services.aspx

Archived