IGNORED

What In The Hell Happened To British Design Esthetics?

Joyrex

You limeys sure have lost your mojo when it comes to identity branding - take a look at the new Doctor Who logo for the new season in 2010:

who_logo.jpg

Granted, that's the logo on the left and an insignia on the right (not together), but it just screams "first year design student's mockup" to me, and lens flare - wtf?

I'm a huge Doctor Who fan, but seeing this today kinda upset me. I dunno, perhaps it will grow on me in time.

It's at least somewhat better than the previous logo they used when the show was revived in 2005...

yeah (apart from tom baker)

Interesting Obel fact: A few years ago at about 1am, jealous husband Tom Baker broke into his wifes house opposite my house (they were seperated) and proceeded to beat her new boyfriend half to death with a pickax handle before stabbing the guy about 50 times in front of his kids. Then he came over to my house and knocked at the door asking to see my father who was working at the time. The police showed up soon after and he was carted away. He's been in jail ever since.

I don't mind the insignia.

References the tardis nicely.

The lens flare is a straight up lol though...and it could use more wolves howling...

Guest Gary C

It's tacky and shit.

Just like Doctor Who.

Really.

Joyrex needs to understand that his Anglophilia is completely misplaced and unwelcome.

Why does lens flare anger people so much? (Not just you J, I always see it on here) Is it a graphic designer thing? I guess its quite obvious and cheesy but it seems to my untrained mind a fairly simple way of giving the minimal logo a bit of depth and variation without making it too distracting. WOuld you prefer Doctor Who had some Rutterford style fractal madness as it's logo?

Guest ezkerraldean

Doctor Who?

lol that's funny, i see what you did there. clever!

It's tacky and shit.

Just like Doctor Who.

Really.

Joyrex needs to understand that his Anglophilia is completely misplaced and unwelcome.

nah, it's awesome. the leader of WATMM is our puppet who we are free to control culturally. so it's us brits that call the shots on WATMM. it's like the empire again

it's the tardis

DURRR HURRRR... Thanks, Sherlock.

It's tacky and shit.

Just like Doctor Who.

Or your mum's bum.

yeah (apart from tom baker)

Interesting Obel fact: A few years ago at about 1am, jealous husband Tom Baker broke into his wifes house opposite my house (they were seperated) and proceeded to beat her new boyfriend half to death with a pickax handle before stabbing the guy about 50 times in front of his kids. Then he came over to my house and knocked at the door asking to see my father who was working at the time. The police showed up soon after and he was carted away. He's been in jail ever since.

Yeah, Tom's a crazy old sod, for sure!

It's tacky and shit.

Just like Doctor Who.

Really.

Don't make us come over here and take your own country away from you; we already took this one from you limp-wristed faggots.

Why does lens flare anger people so much? (Not just you J, I always see it on here) Is it a graphic designer thing? I guess its quite obvious and cheesy but it seems to my untrained mind a fairly simple way of giving the minimal logo a bit of depth and variation without making it too distracting. WOuld you prefer Doctor Who had some Rutterford style fractal madness as it's logo?

Lens Flares are despised by graphic designers because like page curls, they are horribly overused, and is a cheap effect (i.e.: no real effort put into it; just click, and viola! instant lens flare) in graphic design. The overuse of it has only increased the vitrol for it, so anytime it appears in a mainstream design, it's instantly derided upon.

Also, personally, I don't want something Rutterford-ish at all; I think a good logo evokes what the program/thing is about, it's theme, and mood. That being said, the logo is growing on me a bit, but I still don't like the "DW" logotype although I can appreciate it from a marketing standpoint.

Archived