IGNORED

I like most Black Eyed Peas songs

encey

guys... black eyed peas had 2 albums before fergie got on board... that's when the selling out commenced. but i'm not a hater of them!

joints and jams was and still is THE SHIT!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Renivatio

Holy shit, I heard nothing but these two songs EVERYWHERE I went in Portugal recently. The DJ's had a playlist of the same five songs I think and nowhere you went didn't have those two.

hah, back in july i was in lisbon and i know EXACTLY what you mean. :emotawesomepm9:

I like Lady Gaga singles too. She has a great voice, although the beats are puny.

"Just Dance" and "Paparazzi" are pretty awesome. paparazzi has some nice synths. actually i like the lead synth in just dance too. woo!

i listen to slipknot

fuck i think i'm a watmm troll without even meaning to be

how exactly does catchy equal good? some of stupidest inane shit can get stuck in your head. all the more reason to avoid the evil cancerous power of lady gaga!

It takes a legitimate amount of skill to write a catchy pop song. Plus, the songs are fun.

And there's a certain aesthetic curiosity about catchy songs, to me. I am always wanting to know how something can be so stupid, and yet draw me in to listen to it again and again and get it so quickly stuck in my head. Each song has something unique about it. The Dream is famous for saying about the chorus to "Umbrella,"

"I write in the dumb parts — like the 'ella, 'ella, 'ella' in 'Umbrella' — because I know that when somebody's drunk, that's the only part they're gonna sing."

And you have to respect that he knows that the 'na na na'-type tail on the chorus is what's going to hook people. You have to give him props for that. It's no different from 'She loves you / Yeah yeah yeah."

In "Paparazzi," I think it has to be how satisfyingly sweet it is to hear Lady Gaga go from the major third to the root at the end of each line of the chorus. It has such a sense of resolution, you want to hear it again and again -- when combined with the nice girly tenor of her voice.

ill concede that it takes a certain amount of skill to write a catchy pop song, but im not sure if that skill means anything. i dont find lady gaga or the black eyed peas to be fun. i just get bored when i hear that stuff.

this seems like a good excuse to use a bob dylan quote i read a few days ago-

Music can save people, but it can't in the commercial way it's being used. It's just too much. It's pollution.

on a lady gaga note, i was browsing through a blog the other day and came upon an ode of sorts to her and it fucking irked me to no end. it seems she fancies herself an artist of considerable meaning and depth, and the fact that this can rub off on otherwise completely intelligent, respectable people just bugs the shit out of me. shes an impostor artist with tired, stolen ideas. but at least shes catchy!

Having just watched it, I am compelled to comment about the new Lady Gaga video. It is, by the way, incredible. This is my love letter to Ms. Gaga.

Over the last couple of months Lady Gaga has come to embody—for me and, I imagine, for her fans—a kind of posthuman life strategy. She presents a response to the horrors of the 21st century that reeks, strangely, of absolute sanity—to very archly embrace the most grotesque excesses of the materialist culture that is destroying the planet. At once clinging to a very human New York hoodrat identity and also becoming indistinguishable from the inhuman culture machine that promotes her, she is the perfect evolutionary advance, designed to outlive the cockroaches themselves.

Ezra Pound once said: “And round about there is a rabble—of the filthy, sturdy, unkillable infants of the very poor. They shall inherit the earth.” And so she has.

Lady Gaga is the Devil card of the Tarot: the lie that there is nothing but matter—though the card is inverted, tongue-in-cheek. She is a successful gray alien hybrid, stripped of all human emotion or compassion, a thing made to flourish in this grim, mechanical age. She is the newest model android from the MTV fembot assembly line. She is the latest and greatest Terminator. She is Skynet. She is self-aware.

Lady Gaga is everything that terrifies us about the Coming Race: Absolute destructive materialism and complete lack of identity past a 140-letter Twitter quip. Female sexuality inverted into male sexuality and weaponized. Did they build her in an underground laboratory, like the one featured in this video? They must have, for what other perverse, mutated perfection of the human form could be better equipped to succeed in this most horrible of world climates?

While the rest of the world spirals into economic degradation, environmental pestilence and complete systems failure of ALL of the old world models, Lady Gaga reigns above the flames. Pay attention to the lesson: Lady Gaga is the ONLY person prospering in this cultural climate. Therefore she has done something RIGHT. She is the necessary evolutionary adaptation to our times and THIS is why people are disturbed by her: This is what we must all become.

Indestructibly empty.

:facepalm:

In "Paparazzi," I think it has to be how satisfyingly sweet it is to hear Lady Gaga go from the major third to the root at the end of each line of the chorus. It has such a sense of resolution, you want to hear it again and again -- when combined with the nice girly tenor of her voice.

what makes it interesting is that the bass note is on IV at the time! making a major 7 chord! nice tension there.

edit: so the resolution is actually only at the start of each phrase of the chorus. ending on the tension is what's satisfying and makes you want to listen again.

I love Black Eyed Peas and Lady Gaga.

Interesting to see people try to break down just why they're so catchy and great. I even have 'I got a feeling' as my ringtone. :facepalm: It's so lovely.

I just feel immersed in the vibe and all the clever tricks the tunes use to keep me coming back. Like some of the stuff on Analord that is just so melodically pleasing but complexly arranged.

I pretty much listen to pop/rnb when I'm not gouching out on idmshoegazenbass.

Having just watched it, I am compelled to comment about the new Lady Gaga video. It is, by the way, incredible. This is my love letter to Ms. Gaga.

Over the last couple of months Lady Gaga has come to embody—for me and, I imagine, for her fans—a kind of posthuman life strategy. She presents a response to the horrors of the 21st century that reeks, strangely, of absolute sanity—to very archly embrace the most grotesque excesses of the materialist culture that is destroying the planet. At once clinging to a very human New York hoodrat identity and also becoming indistinguishable from the inhuman culture machine that promotes her, she is the perfect evolutionary advance, designed to outlive the cockroaches themselves.

Ezra Pound once said: “And round about there is a rabble—of the filthy, sturdy, unkillable infants of the very poor. They shall inherit the earth.” And so she has.

Lady Gaga is the Devil card of the Tarot: the lie that there is nothing but matter—though the card is inverted, tongue-in-cheek. She is a successful gray alien hybrid, stripped of all human emotion or compassion, a thing made to flourish in this grim, mechanical age. She is the newest model android from the MTV fembot assembly line. She is the latest and greatest Terminator. She is Skynet. She is self-aware.

Lady Gaga is everything that terrifies us about the Coming Race: Absolute destructive materialism and complete lack of identity past a 140-letter Twitter quip. Female sexuality inverted into male sexuality and weaponized. Did they build her in an underground laboratory, like the one featured in this video? They must have, for what other perverse, mutated perfection of the human form could be better equipped to succeed in this most horrible of world climates?

While the rest of the world spirals into economic degradation, environmental pestilence and complete systems failure of ALL of the old world models, Lady Gaga reigns above the flames. Pay attention to the lesson: Lady Gaga is the ONLY person prospering in this cultural climate. Therefore she has done something RIGHT. She is the necessary evolutionary adaptation to our times and THIS is why people are disturbed by her: This is what we must all become.

Indestructibly empty.

vomit.jpg

i don't actually listen to the radio, or own a tv, or am immersed in any kind of popular culture, so i've never really listened to lady gaga before apart from hearing things at the grocery store or somewhere. after watching the video paparazzi, it really does seem like the same old pop music, stuff Britney Spears and whoever was doing 10 years ago. The same rehash but with an 'art' image attached in order to give people a false sense of depth where none exists. Everything she does including her image is a calculated move, and she's largely succeeded thanks to the people and money at universal. there is real science behind catchy music and pop songs that you can't get out of your head. check out the book 'this is your brain on music' off amazon

Guest Otto Krat

Funny in how many different ways the word "pop" can be used. Pop to me doesn't mean "popular" but a certain form (verse/chorus stuff, importance given to the lyrics/the singer) and especially a strong link with the question of image use and public manipulation (more in an aphex twin way than in a michael jackson way I mean). Which makes it very interresting from a history of art/anthropology point of view.

This is what I like about pop:

here

Beauty, density, mystery. Something that you can analyse.

i just get bored when i hear that stuff.

Fair enough. A lot depends on what, overall, you want to hear at the time. I have just been in a 'play me a good solid single' mood than a 'listen to Dark Side of the Moon in one sitting' mood, for whatever reason. I just want to hum something catchy and enjoy an upbeat, danceable rhythm.

I agree -- Lady Gaga's beats and sounds are nothing new and are often cliche. Most of her first album was terrible. I just keep giving her a break because I love her style so much, plus, we need more famous chicks with bodies like hers and Katy Perry's!

this seems like a good excuse to use a bob dylan quote i read a few days ago-

Music can save people, but it can't in the commercial way it's being used. It's just too much. It's pollution.

Lady Gaga is out to save you ... ON THA DANCE FLOOR!!!

lol @ Obel's barf clip art!

what makes it interesting is that the bass note is on IV at the time! making a major 7 chord! nice tension there.

edit: so the resolution is actually only at the start of each phrase of the chorus. ending on the tension is what's satisfying and makes you want to listen again.

*jots it down* I'll definitely listen for this next time I hear tha earworm.

boom boom pow (autechre remix)

I wish, man! I could totally imagine it ... :music: <-- looks like he's listening to his iPod on the subway/metro/underground/whatever you call it

black eyed peas before fergie and the hit records they make now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8kS7atmTis

i saw them live back in those days and their stage show was outstanding with the crazy dancing (i used to dance similar to the taboo dude)!

when elephunk was released (the first album with fergie) i was like... cool! liked where is the love, but didn't like anything else afterwards... i will admit that i like "meet me half way" and the boom boom track... not a fan of tonight's gonna be a good night though!

on to lady gaga. i saw pics of her first without knowing who she was. i was assuming from her look that she was some electro artist like miss kitty or peaches... but i was so wrong! i'd probably take her more seriously if she actually did electro style music although i don't like that music much these days!

When the Where is the love? music video came out I thought about checking this group but, in that time I had much to do, so I told my self to wait a little and check them out then. Now I see that as the newer albums are coming out and out(along with the singles) I am less and less conviced to check them out at all(buying an album I mean).Only thing that keeps me being still interested is their Sergio Mendes featuring (mostly that appearance of them all together in a certain movie flick) and rumours about their older albums.

Archived