IGNORED

xbox 360 or ps3

Guest zaphod

I sent my xbox off about a week ago to get repaired, and got a notification yesterday that it's already on the way back. Can't wait to get a copy of MW2 :happy:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sent my xbox off about a week ago to get repaired, and got a notification yesterday that it's already on the way back. Can't wait to get a copy of MW2 :happy:

For some reason, I feel like telling you to buy MW2 before your 360 comes in. :wtf:

so i have only have a PS3 now and i haven't bought a game for it since GTAIV,

does it have streaming netflix yet? i was thinking of selling it and just getting a blueray player that can connect to netflix and blockbuster online

Yep - go to your Netflix account and request a PS3 disc - next year we'll be able to ditch the disc in favour of it being on the XMB.

And you've missed out on a LOT of good games since GTAIV...

I got both. I had the PS3 for a year, then got myself a 360 for Christmas a while back.

I mainly use my PS3 to avoid RROD's, its quieter, and also because most of my friends have a PS3, but I never skip the good 360 exclusives, which I haven't seen a ton of this holiday season mind you, most of 360's heavy hitters are multi-platform.

meh, i've been checking out the ps3 and there's really nothing to make it worthwhile to me. it'll be the first system that dies out of the three. all of my friends are on xbox live, the only people i know with a ps3 are hardcore gamers who just buy every system to have all the bases covered. but gaming isn't about the hardcore gamers anymore, so that audience doesn't really matter. it's about the mainstream, and the xbox is the mainstream.

games are far more mainstream than they were fifteen years ago, it's a billion dollar industry now. so the most popular system is also the most successful and has the most critically lauded games. it's totally different than the music industry and bears no comparison to it.

meh, i've been checking out the ps3 and there's really nothing to make it worthwhile to me. it'll be the first system that dies out of the three. all of my friends are on xbox live, the only people i know with a ps3 are hardcore gamers who just buy every system to have all the bases covered. but gaming isn't about the hardcore gamers anymore, so that audience doesn't really matter. it's about the mainstream, and the xbox is the mainstream.

Sony's history with game systems and their current trend of selling better now that the price has gone down contradicts that opinion.

If anything, the 360 will be the first to "die" as you put it as being the first out of the gate, MS will want to try and get the jump on Sony again (it worked well for them, and gave them a sizable lead this console generation) and release the successor to the 360 in 2012-13 I'm guessing, as they are going to try and milk another 2-3 years out of it. Some analysts are now saying this console generation will be longer than the last, since development costs are already hitting the roof on big titles, and a new, more powerful hardware set will require them to up the ante as well, which they might not want to financially risk.

However, by that time that happens, Sony's console will have achieved parity with the 360 in terms of installed base (or surpassed it), and developers will learn to squeeze more out of the PS3's hardware than they will with the 360 (which will continue to hit the DVD size wall as games get bigger and more elaborate, unless MS makes a bold move and go digital with new releases, provided they have a HDD big enough and affordable enough to accommodate that possibility).

They will also have to contend with Nintendo's next console, around the same time, and what it brings to the table. Sony and MS will probably kill off the Wii once their respective motion-control solutions hit the market (MS's Natal is supposed to be out late 2010, and Sony in Spring of 2010). The Wii is already dying and slowing down, only surviving by it's massive install base, but software sales continue to go down for anything but first-party games.

MS might continue to hold onto the lead by further reducing costs (200USD or less), but Sony could counter that as well. I think the current consoles will be around for at least another 4-5 years before the next generation rolls around just due to the sheer cost of game development and the hardware development.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

Sony's history with game systems and their current trend of selling better now that the price has gone down contradicts that opinion.

If anything, the 360 will be the first to "die" as you put it as being the first out of the gate, MS will want to try and get the jump on Sony again (it worked well for them, and gave them a sizable lead this console generation) and release the successor to the 360 in 2012-13 I'm guessing, as they are going to try and milk another 2-3 years out of it. Some analysts are now saying this console generation will be longer than the last, since development costs are already hitting the roof on big titles, and a new, more powerful hardware set will require them to up the ante as well, which they might not want to financially risk.

However, by that time that happens, Sony's console will have achieved parity with the 360 in terms of installed base (or surpassed it), and developers will learn to squeeze more out of the PS3's hardware than they will with the 360 (which will continue to hit the DVD size wall as games get bigger and more elaborate, unless MS makes a bold move and go digital with new releases, provided they have a HDD big enough and affordable enough to accommodate that possibility).

They will also have to contend with Nintendo's next console, around the same time, and what it brings to the table. Sony and MS will probably kill off the Wii once their respective motion-control solutions hit the market (MS's Natal is supposed to be out late 2010, and Sony in Spring of 2010). The Wii is already dying and slowing down, only surviving by it's massive install base, but software sales continue to go down for anything but first-party games.

MS might continue to hold onto the lead by further reducing costs (200USD or less), but Sony could counter that as well. I think the current consoles will be around for at least another 4-5 years before the next generation rolls around just due to the sheer cost of game development and the hardware development.

and now the weather with Tina Bokchoy. Tina, how's it looking out there?

does it have streaming netflix yet? i was thinking of selling it and just getting a blueray player that can connect to netflix and blockbuster online

Yep - go to your Netflix account and request a PS3 disc - next year we'll be able to ditch the disc in favour of it being on the XMB.

wow that was easy, disc on its way! and no awkward, i don't have you on ignore i just don't pay very much attention sometimes.

what are some good games you would recommend for the arcade game minded gamer who doesn't like to spend very much time building up a character?

i think im going to buy a ps3 tommorow. My roomate has a 360 but I don't want to buy games for it(although i did buy the orange box for 360) because its his, and he stores it in his room all of the time. And I don't want to have two 360s in the house. Also I really want to play MGS4. Any other reccommendations what I should grab as far as games go.(i'm thinking mgs4, gta, uncharted, fallout 3...) not really sure what I would like as i've been out of the loop on next gen gaming for a long time. any off-kilter suggestions that i may have overlooked? I'm mostly going by what people mention here and by metacritic.com

wow that was easy, disc on its way! and no awkward, i don't have you on ignore i just don't pay very much attention sometimes.

what are some good games you would recommend for the arcade game minded gamer who doesn't like to spend very much time building up a character?

Well, there's loads of fantastic games on the PSN that are very affordable (I like all the PixelJunk games except for Racers - Monsters is probably the best, and Shooter will come out next month - their games are addictive and surreal, and feature excellent music), but as for disc-based games, you can't go wrong with Uncharted 2, God of War Collection (GoW I and II on one disc, remastered with HD graphics), Killzone 2, Burnout Paradise, Little Big Planet, Tekken 6, Lumines Supernova, Critter Crunch, Super Stardust HD - there's a lot. All depends on what genre of gaming you prefer.

i think im going to buy a ps3 tommorow. My roomate has a 360 but I don't want to buy games for it(although i did buy the orange box for 360) because its his, and he stores it in his room all of the time. And I don't want to have two 360s in the house. Also I really want to play MGS4. Any other reccommendations what I should grab as far as games go.(i'm thinking mgs4, gta, uncharted, fallout 3...) not really sure what I would like as i've been out of the loop on next gen gaming for a long time. any off-kilter suggestions that i may have overlooked? I'm mostly going by what people mention here and by metacritic.com

As for off-kilter games, If you like puzzle games, there's Critter Crunch, and Lumines Supernova. Wipeout HD is amazing, the original Uncharted as well as Uncharted 2 (I enjoyed both immensely), Trash Panic (brutal, very difficult puzzle/strategy game), but as for the most off-kilter, I'd say any of the PixelJunk games on the PSN - especially PixelJunk Eden - surreal gameplay, surreal music, and just plain weird. Highly addictive though, like all their games.

can someone please explain to me why no one has made a game as fucking awesome as Rez since? the concept of making music as you shoot enemies is so awesome that it needs to be done again. im soo sick of the games where you have to memorize a pattern and type in real time to make music (guitar fago, etc) they need to do more Rez gmes instead of this antifun primary color simon says tapping bullshit

so i take it that Jedi game was a little bit shit? it seemed to have came out with not much fanfare after all it's hype

ill check sone of those other games you mentioned joyrex. even though im kind of sick of FPS gameplay i still appreciate the amount of effort and realism gone into the environment/atmosphere. Killzone's atmosphere seems pretty immersive.

holy shit i just bought a ps3 tonight and am playing mgs4. Just got to the cutscene with meryl. i wish they made it more of a mystery with why snake was older, was it really solid snake? etc. but its obvious that it is solid. I just remember before it came out there was a huge mystery of who "old snake" in this game really was. i also bought bioshock, but I haven't play it yet.

can someone please explain to me why no one has made a game as fucking awesome as Rez since? the concept of making music as you shoot enemies is so awesome that it needs to be done again. im soo sick of the games where you have to memorize a pattern and type in real time to make music (guitar fago, etc) they need to do more Rez gmes instead of this antifun primary color simon says tapping bullshit

I agree with you on this.

Have you checked out Every Extend Extra Extreme? It's by the same guy, different in manner to Rez, but decent! XBLA arcade though, not sure about other formats. I doubt it is on PSN.

Archived