IGNORED

how the funk do you play funk

Guest Mr. Magoo

Guest Mr. Magoo

hi there i've been trying to create jazzy or funky or groovy vibert drum patterns and i still can't figure out how to get a really good flow of pace.

i've looked on the net of how to play funk and got some idea but not much.

i like luke viberts patterns since they work really well, and all i'm getting is fruity loops or reason techno shit.

now i like techno, but how the fuck do i sequencer funk the correct way, drummers please give a good description maybe list what funk drums consist of etc the pace and how many hi hats to such a beat of a note.

really please i need help, i've tried sampling a real drum kit i got and it seems to work just average, since i don't play the drums i usally just fuck around on them, and i don't bother to learn=too much time.

so please you guys help.

Guest blicero

the best to replicate human feel and groove is to use a drum loop sample, slice it up in ReCycle or fruity slicer or just an audio editor, don't trim up the samples, leave air and hi-hats and noise.

then load the slices into a sequencer at the same bpm and start drawing.

it's way more difficult doing it with individual drum samples in a step sequencer. and it sounds a lot crappier.

in floops you can set or automate the offset of each sampler. so like have the drums not dead on the beat.. like a clap for example can be way offbeat and it ends up sounding funky

:sleep:

just screw up drum patterns

then try to fix them

over and over again lol

:shaun:

Guest tht! tne

accent the one leave the

squeaky pedal sounds in

syncopate it with da bass

one neat trick i learnt from

the smiths is to play no hi

hat at all but instead strum

tight min7 chords in place

and finally let your snare

hits straggle a bit on the

head or throw some phase

or reverb on the whole bit

and lots of doublestop kicks.

the best thing you can do is like, take some loops of "funky" drums or basslines, put the as a loop in fruity loops, and try to replicate it in the step sequencer with samples. you will get the sequence and in the process get a bit of "whats going on". same with basslines. i do this frequently and is a great way to learn how to sequence other stuff imho.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr. Magoo

i sort of figured it out i think i'll sample some funky drumming from james brown and slice up the beats, but then you can hear pure silence in the spliced areas and stuff, and then i thought since i've got a drum kit maybe, i'll play real fucking slow then speed it up a bit on th computer, and fix the pitch and all..thanks for the help.\

by the way, what about jazz?\

to be honest i need to know more about jazz and funk stuff for musical compostion? chanks

i've said it before i'll say it again...

do you guys realize that in recycle you can add releases to drums??? you have to press more then just that sensitivity slider to do but, BUT IT CAN BE DONE!!!!

USE THE FORCE

Guest gains

Reduce emphasis on beats 1 and 3.

If you were to snap your fingers on 1 and 3 in a club playing jazz standards, you just held up a big sign saying "too white to live."

Give 2 and 4 more strength, not just a snare, syncopate instruments to land on 2 and 4.

That'll get you started.

The rest is feel and cheating the impacts of beats so they "trip" into the next strong beat.

Give 2 and 4 more strength, not just a snare, syncopate instruments to land on 2 and 4.

all i can say about funk music is program yourself a nice tasty bass line , and work from there,

most of the stuff i make i usually funkish, and i always start off just plucking around on the bass

the beat can be pritty much any hip hopish style beat,, "remember where all the hip hop samples came from"

but obviously not a straight forward stuff, definetly syncropate that

, and then all you need is some juicy organ,, rhodes, turnwheel, etc

add some "aww yeah's" and your in funky town

Well as I agree with the previous comments relating that "funk is something you feel..and practice and experiment"

But if you want see an idea visually...go grab some good MIDI songs in the funk genre and open them up in FL or something...then you can see what it's like to program something like that digitally. IMHO if you are programing digital percussion the best way to get sound with a 'feel" is to really tweak the volumes of highhats snares kicks etc. Choping it up just doesn't do it all the time...but playing with the volume with it helps especially if you are going to record something real on top of it like guitar and bass.

one neat trick i learnt from

the smiths is to play no hi

hat at all but instead strum

tight min7 chords in place

BY GOLLY you're on to something! I can't wait to use that idea in a tune or two.

hi there i've been trying to create jazzy or funky or groovy vibert drum patterns and i still can't figure out how to get a really good flow of pace.

i've looked on the net of how to play funk and got some idea but not much.

i like luke viberts patterns since they work really well, and all i'm getting is fruity loops or reason techno shit.

now i like techno, but how the fuck do i sequencer funk the correct way, drummers please give a good description maybe list what funk drums consist of etc the pace and how many hi hats to such a beat of a note.

really please i need help, i've tried sampling a real drum kit i got and it seems to work just average, since i don't play the drums i usally just fuck around on them, and i don't bother to learn=too much time.

so please you guys help.

its all about the shuffle innit.

Archived