IGNORED

why is acid techno called ACID techno ?

YEK

i've always preferred and assumed it being named in reference to lsd b/c acid, especially early chicago acid, is quite psychedelic. Or this from wiki:

Other accounts of the etymology of the term are not based on the LSD or psychedelic connotations. The theory that acid was a derogatory reference towards the use of samples in acid house music was repeated in the press and in the British House of Commons.[25] In this theory, the term acid came from the slang term "acid burning", which the Oxford Dictionary of New Words calls "a term for stealing."[21] Since acid house makes substantial use of sampling, this can be deemed "stealing from other tracks."[26] A problem with this theory is that although early house music producers did use samples, most acid house music was fully original compositions made using sequencers and synthesizers.

maybe mr. james will chime in here.

didn't genesis p'orridge come up with this phrase?

nah, you're thinking of the phrase "i'm a pretentious dope, please pay attention to me"

i doubt tripping on LSD in a club wouldve been de rigeur in the mid 80s.

i bet it was but everyone was just doing disco doses

phuture named acid trax, acid trax because they said it sounded like acid rock.i got a quote somewhere from a research thing i did.thus the term came from there, because it was the first acid track.it actually wasnt the first fully 303 modulation based track released on vinyl but it was being thrown round on tape n shit for like a full year.

i think it was only with the acid scene in england in the early 90's it was more strongly associated with lsd, because obviously lsd was being used,(although more predominately E)at the events and the chicago lyrics that talked about the sound being so..mind altering.

Considered the earliest Acid House tune ever, "Acid Tracks" story begins with the friendship of two friends which later were behind Phuture - DJ Pierre and Earl Spanky Smith. Very close to each other since the high school, they grew up together in a very strong musical environment, until a day when DJ Pierre got surprised by his friend Spanky when he came on his house while he was DJing and told something like "Hey, I bought a drum machine, it's time to produce!", back in 1984.

Since Earl Smith had a job, he could afford the expensive equipments necessary to do it. But at the first moment, it was just a Drum Machine, which made them do drum solos – cleverly used by Pierre on his DJ sets. Earl Spanky had a natural hability with kicks, snares & hi-hats, so he quickly turned himself into an amazing drum line maker.

One day, Earl Spanky bought a Roland 303 acid bassline, and they both tried with their friend Herbert J to manipulate those sounds, and that acid loop seemed to be already there, but at that time they really did not know yet how to create different ones. “We didn’t know how to program. When we plugged it, it was already making that sound. It had plenty of different acid loops. As we didn’t know how to ‘create’, we worked on the only one that sounded good. No one really invented it, it was already in there. We sequenced it, and Spanky made the beats”, said Pierre, trying to remember his first steps as a producer, about 21 years ago. Boof, the "Acid Tracks" was ready.

Marshall Jefferson, who was giving counsels to them, became a sort of an executive producer for their first tunes, and was also behind their partnership with Larry Sherman from Trax Records (the single got out on Sherman’s red label many months later, in 1987). Jefferson told them immediately to slow down the “Acid Tracks” BPMs from 125 to 120, because it was too fast for the dancefloors when it was made. “This is too fast, New York won’t accept it”, remind DJ Pierre about his friend’s advice.

The big difference that made this early acid house tune a hit probably lies on the combination between the legendary Music Box cellar and its historical resident Ron Hardy. At the same year of 1985, Spanky came to Pierre and said: “This is the place to be, you gotta go to the Music Box, the DJ there is incredible”! They both started to be regulars on that venue, more precisely an underground parking place for about three hundred people which would change their lives forever.

Ron Hardy did not know them the day these two kids (Pierre & Spanky) decided to give him a tape with the Acid Tracks demo. That was still in 1985, just before the Music Box opened. As soon as they gave Ron the tape, the DJ listened to it and said, smiling: “It’s ok... When can I get a copy?”

That first night, Ron was bold enough to play “Acid Tracks” four times. The first one was immediately rejected by the public, and nobody stayed on the dancefloor. But Ron Hardy was a visionnary, and so he played a second time, and some people started to pay attention. The third time, it was already well accepted, and on the fourth one, the crowd went mad; the impact was so strong that it became a hit.

As nobody imagined who could be the author, the regulars thought that it was something made by Ron Hardy himself, so they named that tune “Ron Hardy’s Acid Trax”, but later, by the time it was released in 1987, the audiences discovered it was made by Pierre, Spanky and Herb J from Phuture.

Let’s go back to 1985. Some months later of “Acid Tracks” conception, DJ Pierre started to think about another music. “About that time, I already knew how to program it”, said Pierre on an interview years later. He did some basslines, wrote some lyrics, and recorded them with his personal vocals, but Marshall Jefferson interfered, saying that the sinister lyrics with “This is cocaine speaking!” on its ouverture needed a deeper and more scary voice. Earl Spanky Smith had it, so he owned the chance to sing the legendary tune – as well as to make the beats for it. The tune was baptised “Your Only Friend”.

With a quote that sounded like mentionning the white powder, “Your Only Friend” was like reflecting the reality of all those nightclubs at that time. Acid and cocaine were both largely consumed by the underground audiences since the Disco era, and they certainly remained consumed by them since the early House scene.

Don't think it mentions WHY those people called it like that, good story nevertheless.

Ya seriously. This is the first I've heard Plastikman's name mentionedn in a thread and I just got really happy. I used to listen to his album Musik every night before bed. Even without drugs it puts you in a beautiful meditative state.

Guest Otto Krat

the first time i did acid someone put on Plastikman's 'sheet one' and i immediately had the realization 'oh ok this is why they call it acid, makes sense now' but beyond that i have no idea

What's interresting about sheet one is that the guy intended to make acid techno (gear used and samples show that) but but doing it slower and with a darker feel to it, he created minimal.

I just had a crazy flashback!

Sometime around 1993-94 I went to the local record shop because I had fallen in love the the DHS track "The House of God". This was I my first ever electronic purchase. The experience has always stuck with me, but I forgot about the conversation between the two guys working in the store. They had this long drawn out discussion about whether DHS was minimal techno or Acid and they wouldn't ring me out until they had come to a decision, which was minimal (but I later decided was acid).

Awesome track. Awesome video too.

The cd when I got it was filed under Misc Techno.

edit: they also made fun of me for being 11 and buying techno that I "didn't know anything about".

edit: they also made fun of me for being 11 and buying techno that I "didn't know anything about".

now they're busy making fun of your fonts.

no one of them was murdered for paedo activities. :pedobear: Stabbed to death in fact.

edit: lebrun.jpg

That's the shop in the bg. Paedo in foreground.

Archived