IGNORED

Fred McGriff

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

finally watched this last night

had some spacecake, got a prime sopt in the middle and was blown away

was like watching Star Wars for the first time as a kid or watching the Matrix on LSD

best visual blockbuster since LotR and has made Episode III look obsolete

my first digital 3D experience that i wont forget

have a bong and get it watched just don't expect a Usual Suspects plotline

as somebody said on here before, if you take into account ticket prices avatar has a ways to go... but i guess i'd rather a sci-fi sell than a sucks

1 Avatar Fox $1,858.9 $555.0 29.9% $1,303.9 70.1% 2009

2 Titanic Par. $1,843.2 $600.8 32.6% $1,242.4 67.4% 1997

Avatar has done in under seven weeks what took Titanic more than nine months to achieve.

219ovtd.jpg

That looks so retarded.

oh right, they're old so they don't matter anymore. i forgot.

No, the film industry and theater climate back then was so dramatically different that its basically impossible.. wait no it is impossible for a film to ever make as much as Gone with the Wind or Star Wars when adjusted for inflation. Adjusting for inflation and trying to compare the success of films from totally different era's is laughable and in the end means nothing. Avatar ticket prices are higher then movies before, but its success proves people are willing to pay a premium price for a premium experience, you can't say the same thing about any other recent 3D movie yet.

Avatar ticket prices are higher then movies before, but its success proves people are willing to pay a premium price for a premium experience, you can't say the same thing about any other recent 3D movie yet.

no, it just means that the hype machine has worked.

i will not be watching this film.

No, the film industry and theater climate back then was so dramatically different that its basically impossible.. wait no it is impossible for a film to ever make as much as Gone with the Wind or Star Wars when adjusted for inflation. Adjusting for inflation and trying to compare the success of films from totally different era's is laughable and in the end means nothing. Avatar ticket prices are higher then movies before, but its success proves people are willing to pay a premium price for a premium experience, you can't say the same thing about any other recent 3D movie yet.

explain to me how the climate is so much different. because people download movies? because they get them on netflix?

also, even excluding all those movies, the dark knight still trumps avatar when adjusted for inflation. probably because it has been out for longer though.

The cinema was rammed when I saw it last week and friends at work say it was still rammed when they went recently.

I'd certainly see it again as its a visual milestone (if little else other than a mild enviromental/anti capitalism message) like LotR and Star Wars.

explain to me how the climate is so much different. because people download movies? because they get them on netflix?

also, even excluding all those movies, the dark knight still trumps avatar when adjusted for inflation. probably because it has been out for longer though.

If you were just talking about consumer price inflation you would be correct. Adjusting for ticket price inflation distorts the picture more than it clarifies it.

For one thing, the home video market has replaced the market for consistent re-release, which is where a lot of older movies were able to make a ton of money. For another, the entertainment market is much more diverse these days; consumers have a lot more choice than they did when a lot of older movies were released. Also, the higher price of 3D ticket sales should drive down demand, but Avatar is still selling scads of tickets in spite of that.

Adjusting for inflation gives a fairly relative view of the matter (Though it fails to take the other points into account), but in the end, its real world applicability is minimal.

If you were just talking about consumer price inflation you would be correct. Adjusting for ticket price inflation distorts the picture more than it clarifies it.

For one thing, the home video market has replaced the market for consistent re-release, which is where a lot of older movies were able to make a ton of money. For another, the entertainment market is much more diverse these days; consumers have a lot more choice than they did when a lot of older movies were released. Also, the higher price of 3D ticket sales should drive down demand, but Avatar is still selling scads of tickets in spite of that.

Yep, agreed with that. What with multiplexes nowadays showing tons of different films throughout the year vs. yesteryear with a cinema having just the one screen and playing a film for months and months the market has changed completely over the last 20 or so years.

Still probably not gonna watch Avatar though :lol:

1 Avatar Fox $1,858.9 $555.0 29.9% $1,303.9 70.1% 2009

2 Titanic Par. $1,843.2 $600.8 32.6% $1,242.4 67.4% 1997

Avatar has done in under seven weeks what took Titanic more than nine months to achieve.

219ovtd.jpg

That looks so retarded.

The whole film is fairly retarded. You've done very well with your pessimism to have avoided it so far, Dan.

It's not a very good film, it clunks and groans, but it is an incredibly well-crafted form of business. The 3D effects are ensuring that it rakes in the money, whilst the simple dialogue makes it accessible world-wide.

Considering that cinema is going the way of the music industry with increasing piracy, it's an achievement to gross so much for a sci-fi film.

It won't be going away though. Get ready for a decade of Avatar.

hey Karmakramer, Avatar's over. I suggest moving the hype machine to the Oversteps thread in the AE forum.

and talk about track titles? no thanks, I'll wait till I can actually listen to something. Besides lumpenprol, Cameron's work on Avatar has only begun, with a trilogy on the way, WATMM for better or worse, is just getting a taste of what's to come.

Archived