IGNORED

Pandorum

thehauntingsoul

Has anyone here seen this movie? I watched it last night expecting something sorta meh but fun, but I was pleasantly surprised. The movie has a constant slew of twists and surprises that deepen and darken the twisted story of the Elysium spaceship. Without spoiling anything, it's about 2 guys that wake up from being frozen in cryogenic tubes in a space ship. They encounter severe memory loss (as a result of being asleep MUCH longer than they were supposed to be) and can't remember what the mission was. The whole movie is essentially about space madness but they encounter a very dangerous form of life on the ship.

If you aren't fully convinced, read the following partial-spoiler (don't worry it only spoils up to about 20 minutes into the film)

The ship they are on is a settler ship sent from Earth to this planet Taunus that they discovered, which was far away but contained almost identical conditions as Earth.

If you still aren't convinced to watch this movie, read the further spoiler below (but not if you're already sold on the movie)

The creatures they encounter are revealed to be the result of evolution. The crazy captain let a bunch of the crew out of the tubes and into the storage area where they were left to fend for themselves and eat each other. The captain then went back into cryo-sleep and when everone wakes up during the actual movie timeframe hundreds of years later, humans on the ship had evolved into feral killing machines. Quite a plausible idea too.

saw it at the cinema, it seemed to slip under the radar somewhat. it wasn't entirely satisfying, they could of done alot more with the idea but nevertheless an enjoyable ride

it's like event horizon + the descent. It's pretty entertaining, but not very good. imo.

*edited for accuracy

I just like the whole idea of space madness because it seems so entirely plausible. Once you are that far away from Earth, it's certainly a sense of isolation that is entirely unlike anything one could experience on Earth. The ending was pretty cool too. Although some scenes are a tad cheesy and there is a bit of cliche stuff here and there, the storyline is really engaging and every scene serves a purpose in the storyline so there is little time wasted on pointless character interaction.

So yeah probably not the best movie ever made but you seriously gotta see this. The claustrophobia scene near the beginning totally sold it for me, where the guy is crawling around through the service tunnels that are stuffed full of hoses. He gets totally lost and he totally flips his shit and starts yelling stuff like "I JUST WANNA FUCKING STAND UP! I CAN'T BREATHE! GET ME THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!!!". It's terrifying because it's just a tad too real. It has that visceral feel of saw without getting unnecessarily gory.

But yeah it basically combines action, horror and sci-fi into a really coherent well thought out package. The fact that people can be frozen indefinitely plays into the storyline as well which leads to some really cool storyline possibilities.

Spoiler:

One of my favourite parts is when they find the captain, and he tells them how he reset the course of the ship before he went into cryo-sleep again, and they ask him where they are. He replies "I dunno, you tell me" and opens the shutter doors to reveal space, but no stars whatsoever. My immediate thoughts were like "holy shit, he's sent them beyond the stars, they are TOTALLY fucked". Watch it. 'Nuff said.

Guest Coalbucket PI

it's like event horizon + the descent. It's pretty entertaining, but not very good. imo.

*edited for accuracy

I really like both of those films even though they aren't very good so I will check this out

crappy wannabe scf-hi horror flick for slipnot fans and juggalos (just look at these silly zombies).

There's no zombies in this movie whatsoever, what movie are you talking about?

And how is this for Slipknot fans? The closest connection I can make is that this was from the producers of Resident Evil, which used a Slipknot track in the OST, but there is no licensed music in this film that I noticed, its all atmospheric brooding ambience.

There are a few cheesy action sequences but for the most part the film is all about tension as a good horror flick should be.

At one point the guy crawling through the tunnels gets stuck against a vent and sees a dead mummified body of another guy who fell into the same place and obviously died there because he couldn't move. That scene was sickeningly tense.

I never knew space was a sewer filled with bat people...

turned this shit off after 30 minutes of excrement filled claustrophobic nonsense....

Dennis Quaid should retire......

from best reviewer on the planet, Dave:

"The first thirty minutes almost dare you to theater hop. It's not until other survivors are found--increasingly insane of course, but capable of kicking monster ass--that the action really ramps up. After that, it turns out to be not the worst end-of-the-world/trapped-with-really-gross-and-really-hungry-creatures/guess-which-human-cast-member-is-a-secret-bad-guy rip off of Alien 3, Resident Evil, Event Horizon and Spaceballs that you've ever seen. It's just not the best one, either. But if your ongoing happiness in life means a steady diet of This Sort of Thing, here's some more of it."

Guest Coalbucket PI

I really enjoyed it. Some of the freaking out paranoia scenes were almost perfect I thought, got that terrifying confusion across. Some aspects weren't handled as well, the full on action parts didn't do much for me and the supporting characters are kind of inconsequential.

Archived