IGNORED

Secondhand Sureshots

Alzado

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I was least impressed with J Rocc all around in that vid

but he smoked liek 7 blunts while he was listening to his records so he dope dawg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I completely disagree that J Rocc's beat was the "dopest" lol I love how I say dope all the time but gotta put it in quotes to be an asshole. I didn't like the way he cut up the vocals. I dunno I dont really see how someone could make something much worse than that with an MPC and some old decent records. It was exactly what I expected from him, didnt surprise me at all, the other cats put a magical spin on the records imho but yeh J Roccs just sounded like a kid with an MPC and some old records

Interesting. It was a little boring at the beginning, but I enjoyed it.

I'm surprised none of them got really deep into the sampling game. You could totally make patches out of all of that stuff and really make it sound nothing like the original.

Guest margaret thatcher

I'm surprised none of them got really deep into the sampling game. You could totally make patches out of all of that stuff and really make it sound nothing like the original.

yeah, but that goes a little bit against the object of the exercise....i think if they had started microsampling, they might as well have just used synths.

but yeah, this is a sick idea for an ekt project. 5 records from a junk shop (oxfam has some serious quality for those in the uk). then make an ep out of them in a week.

J Rocc's track is by far the best, which is why they picked it as the main track for the film, I'm sure.

Along with the rest of the beat junkies, he's a fucking ace dj too. I saw him live with madlib a few years back and he was easily responsible for most of the hotness (especially since what madlib does doesn't translate so well live)

Interesting. It was a little boring at the beginning, but I enjoyed it.

Guest ms-dos

sweet little video and even neater project. j rocc's track has samples from one of the beats featured in bambaataa's death mix 2 (the "baby you laughin'" and "uh!" samples). anyone have an ID on that?

sweet little video and even neater project. j rocc's track has samples from one of the beats featured in bambaataa's death mix 2 (the "baby you laughin'" and "uh!" samples). anyone have an ID on that?

I want to say a Brenton Wood track, but don't quote me on that

lol

yeah. it is from syl johnson-different strokes

lol

yeah. it is from syl johnson-different strokes

Wasn't this cheating then according to the "rules"

(doesn't make it any less of a dope track)

Wasn't this cheating then according to the "rules"

(doesn't make it any less of a dope track)

I think that would be cheating. Ordered my copy, I didn't watch the whole thing online so I could watch the dvd- no spoilers :happy:

Anyone have a copy yet? I'm curious about the Kutmah mix- is it just a mix of the tracks they created or different/unused stuff as well? All of his mixes are great btw- check him out on Dublab.

Guest iamabe

(pointing at japanese musician on cover)

"this dude, this guy, is about to get... molested."

haha

that was enjoyable!

dumbass director for not knowing the meaning of "chop"

Guest blicero

Are the full tracks (other than J-Rocc's) posted anywhere to listen?

BTW, I would do the shit outta this in EKT. Let's set it up. Records are fine, but i would like to know what records people used... so we know there's no cheating ;)

totally agree BUT... how about how long it took for J-Rocc to explain it? How fucking high are you, man?!

stonesthrow has snippets here: http://stonesthrow.com/store/special-edition/various/secondhand-sureshots

i'm not aware of a place find a full stream.

BTW, I would do the shit outta this in EKT. Let's set it up. Records are fine, but i would like to know what records people used... so we know there's no cheating ;)

agreed

well, he probably didn't want to assume that everyone viewing the movie would understand the processes involved in using samples.

how about how long it took for J-Rocc to explain it? How fucking high are you, man?!

lol i thought the same thing

Guest blicero

stonesthrow has snippets here: http://stonesthrow.com/store/special-edition/various/secondhand-sureshots

i'm not aware of a place find a full stream.

nice, thanks.

Let's set it off like Project 168 style, but instead of limited time, limited source material.

I'd even make/host a microsite for the final products

it'd be nice to hear what my fellow watmm-ers would do without synths and VSTis.

Guest blicero

yep. all source audio from the records only.

if you're lucky, you'll pick up a record with a good break ;)

Guest margaret thatcher

how about, we post the finished ep, and a zip of the 5 ripped records we used too, to prove there was no cheating...?

i'm in, by the way, sounds awesome. i'll actually be using records from the local oxfam.

Archived