IGNORED

Are there closet IDM fans?

Guest Fishtank

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for the sake of the thread what is being defined as IDM exactly?

ahh, the eternal question

for the sake of argument lets say the artists represented on this website followed by those that were influenced strongly by these artists, and whose work strongly reflects this.

i think its bad because i dont like it, thats neither here nor there, the elitism over a music that doesnt really even deserve it i just find embarrasing.

Guest margaret thatcher

just to throw my 2c in here, i reckon house party music shouldn't be of the type where people with beards sit around mulling over the complexity of the beats whilst stroking aforementioned beards. it's just meant to be stuff to have fun to.

just saying this cos i've djed a lot of house parties. even when i venture off into ninja tunes territory for a bit, i usually have to bring it back to stuff that people might know for a tune or two. definitely got to be stuff that people can shake their arses to.

so playing drukqs in its entirely at a house party just seems as hopeless and dopey as playing roger whittaker or the moody blues.

yes thats exactly what i said, black eyed peas are on par with bach.

Well you're giving out about people think one type of music is better than the other.

Why dont you explain exactly what you mean.

i think i made myself pretty clear, idm is no better than most other types of music, its different yeah? but the whole scenario around breeds eltitism, people seem to assume that most other people dont like it because its vastly more intellectctually refined but..... actually im pissed and i cant be fucked.

i dont like bachs music, but analyse bach and aphex twin(reputedly the best idm artist, although i find squarepusher more skillfull) and

im njot even joking actually, fuck it. just generally the whole concept of, most people dont like it because they dont understand it is embarassing. you like what you like, if what you like is idm then great, but dont assume its any better, or , as the horrendous acronym suggests, intelligent/inventive because its just not true.

but the musical genius of bach is 100 times more undeniable thatn rdj , squarepusher, whatever. i cant even think of any other mindblowing geniuses in the idm world tbh. unless you begin to talk about production skill/mastering, in which case these guys are the best in the world. i dunno. i dont mean to go off on one but that post about 'superiority' in music just did my head in.

im pissed and i hate idm apart from one or two clark, vibert and squarepusher tunes. you mayaswell consider my opinion irrelevant anyway. im into impressionism, late romanticism, contemporary classical, and dance music, in the form of bassy, funky, techno. my opinion on these matters is truely meaningless because we like different musics.

Guest Enter a new display name

im pissed and i hate idm apart from one or two clark, vibert and squarepusher tunes.

What a typical closet IDM fan thing to say...

i think i made myself pretty clear, idm is no better than most other types of music, its different yeah? but the whole scenario around breeds eltitism, people seem to assume that most other people dont like it because its vastly more intellectctually refined but..... actually im pissed and i cant be fucked.

i dont like bachs music, but analyse bach and aphex twin(reputedly the best idm artist, although i find squarepusher more skillfull) and

im njot even joking actually, fuck it. just generally the whole concept of, most people dont like it because they dont understand it is embarassing. you like what you like, if what you like is idm then great, but dont assume its any better, or , as the horrendous acronym suggests, intelligent/inventive because its just not true.

but the musical genius of bach is 100 times more undeniable thatn rdj , squarepusher, whatever. i cant even think of any other mindblowing geniuses in the idm world tbh. unless you begin to talk about production skill/mastering, in which case these guys are the best in the world. i dunno. i dont mean to go off on one but that post about 'superiority' in music just did my head in.

I am not saying nor have I ever said that IDM is better than another genre because it more "intellectual", simple because, to me, it is better. What can you judge music on only by the way it sounds.

When Im listening to a track I'm not wondering what key/modal/chord prog or anything is being used. I'm thinking: that sounds good.

Sure we all know that IDM is a stupid name anyway.

In relation to superiority, I cant speak for who ever posted it. But generally it I feel its more that my taste is music is superior to someone else is, because if I did'nt, would'nt I adopt someone else's?

i carefully pick and choose who i share my music with and what i share with them. i

usually start with something that i have had success sharing with others in the past,

using every piece of information, big or small about a persons tastes to my advantage.

it is always a great pleasure to find common interests in music with others

Guest hahathhat

i got into this conversation with a bag of potatos at the supermarket and i put my headphones on a potato and played autechre and the potato loved it

Guest Stoppit

i got into this conversation with a bag of potatos at the supermarket and i put my headphones on a potato and played autechre and the potato loved it

Interesting. What sort of potato was it? I have had moderate success with King Edwards, but generally I find Maris Pipers to be unresponsive, and somewhat standoffish. Wankers.

I know a guy who is a closet IDM fan in the sense that he's in denial. For example, he would instantly respond to a track of the sort i put on, but then he'd ask what it was, and if it was anything on his carefully crafted "IDM shitlist" he'd go "oh" all disappointedly. It has to do with some weird self-esteem issues he's got, something like "if i can't make it, i won't listen to it" + some prejudice of his against DnB\jungle that he wildly extrapolates from. It's really funny to me as he's kind of dim and i play him dubstep with IDM pedigree (like loops haunt, burial, boxcutter etc) and he goes "What is this?", i go "Dubstep. *snicker*" and he loves it.

He's mostly just a cunt though, moreso than specifically a "closet IDM fan".

This guy is childish.

isn't watmm basically just a big router between closets?

lol

Guest Fishtank

isn't watmm basically just a big router between closets?

That means there's a giant meta closet somewhere...

Archived