IGNORED

complete ban on smoking in cars?

keltoi

newspaper article regarding said ban of smoking in cars

:facepalm:

wtf is happening to our civil liberties?

is this the only way to stop terrible parents subjecting their children to passive smoking?

increased cases of asthma and lung disorders in children... all while smoking in general is on the decrease? something doesn't add up.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A ban is a bit ridiculous.

I was going to say maybe a police warning for people who smoke with kids in the car, but honestly that's ridiculous too.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I don't really know where I stand on all this cause I smoke but it's really fucking bad for you and I kind of wish someone would force me to stop once and for all

people get cancer and die without smoking

are you defending smoking?

i'm defending my right to smoke. i believe in your right not to smoke, which is why smoking alone in a car is the best solution for everyone.

i saw a news report (BBC i think) a little while back that the finnish government is going to ban smoking outright. as in no cigarettes. illegal.

japan is a smokers paradise compared anywhere i've lived in the world. i got 3 vending machine within a 30 second walk of me, and 24 hours booze about another minute from there. i think i'll be dead in 5 years. :trashbear:

The thing is, smoking IS bad for you. But I could never tell someone else not to smoke, it's an individual decision - it's like someone telling me to not eat burgers because they're bad for you. Fuck you, I love burgers.

Actually, can I eat a burger in a car? I'm more worried about that being outlawed.

I don't really know where I stand on all this cause I smoke but it's really fucking bad for you and I kind of wish someone would force me to stop once and for all

heh, as with most things in life, it's a decision that's totally up to you. you decide how you live and what to do.

i find it is easier to quit nowadays than to start, from a social point of view. decide to quit and then quit. simple.

Guest Coalbucket PI

heh, as with most things in life, it's a decision that's totally up to you. you decide how you live and what to do.

i find it is easier to quit nowadays than to start, from a social point of view. decide to quit and then quit. simple.

The state does a lot to protect people from things that might cause cancer but here we have something that definitely does and is addictive to boot and you can buy as much of it as you like. To start smoking is a strange decision to make because people assume it can't be all that bad or it wouldn't be allowed. If smoking was completely banned the population would be vastly healthier and I don't think anyone could argue that the risk benefit ratio points to any other conclusion, no matter how much they love smoking. If people were never introduced to cigarettes in the first place they wouldn't miss them, all the civil liberties arguments seem a bit pointless compared to how many people you could stop from having cancer as a direct result of an inconsequential leisure activity.

i saw a news report (BBC i think) a little while back that the finnish government is going to ban smoking outright. as in no cigarettes. illegal.

there was a motion in the parliament earlier this year, but haven't heard about it since then. it would still be a long project, hoping for a smokefree finland in 2040 or something like that.

while cigs are a rather stupid thing, prohibition never solved anything. people will continue to smoke if they want to, legal or not.

Guest El_Chemso

Actually, can I eat a burger in a car? I'm more worried about that being outlawed.

Only if your stationary parked up like, eating and drinking whilst driving is banned now. Well they fine you for not been in proper control. One lady got £60 and 3 points for eating some crusts. One guy got 5 years, thou he did plow into a shop and kill someone. Anyhow I did not come back down the M6 yesterday eating a Fish Finger sandwich with some chocnom to go after it.

Guest Franklin

Here in Ontario it is illegal to smoke cigarettes in a vehicle IF there are children present. I think this is a decent law.

Guest theSun

The state does a lot to protect people from things that might cause cancer but here we have something that definitely does and is addictive to boot and you can buy as much of it as you like. To start smoking is a strange decision to make because people assume it can't be all that bad or it wouldn't be allowed. If smoking was completely banned the population would be vastly healthier and I don't think anyone could argue that the risk benefit ratio points to any other conclusion, no matter how much they love smoking. If people were never introduced to cigarettes in the first place they wouldn't miss them, all the civil liberties arguments seem a bit pointless compared to how many people you could stop from having cancer as a direct result of an inconsequential leisure activity.

because that worked so well in 1920.

let the people smoke who want to smoke, i don't and shouldn't give a flying fuck. it's not like smokers are blowing their tar smoke in your face all the time. we get exposed to plenty of other synthetic chemicals that cause more cancer and disease than [non-extreme cases of] second hand smoke.

this is just one of the things so etched into the society we can't just ban it and everything is fixed.

Here in Ontario it is illegal to smoke cigarettes in a vehicle IF there are children present. I think this is a decent law.

yes this is a decent reasonable law.

see they're doing this cos of an increase in medical conditions in children, but smoking is in decline so it's the polluted athmosphere or landfill or genetic food that's causing it... therefore it's a stupid pointless facade of a law.

because that worked so well in 1920.

let the people smoke who want to smoke, i don't and shouldn't give a flying fuck. it's not like smokers are blowing their tar smoke in your face all the time. we get exposed to plenty of other synthetic chemicals that cause more cancer and disease than [non-extreme cases of] second hand smoke.

this is just one of the things so etched into the society we can't just ban it and everything is fixed.

it's true that I'm more concerned with the the pollution which vehicles make rather than second hand smoke. I walk to work each day, and I must pass many cars to and from work. Everywhere is like a grid-lock where I live.

I don't believe that smoking is "etched" into society. It could be outgrown, in other words, eventually (perhaps not in our life time) people will look down at smoking, and won't accept it because of the health risks it poses on the public. It's all a matter of good education. Many who currently smoke are just victims of the culture they live in - meaning they have fallen victim to smoking due to social pressures/peers, influences from role models, advertising and marketing campaigns of cigarettes in general etc..

Guest Pennywise

i think all smokers should be banished into tiny glass cubes where smoke is feed into the cubes until they die

Archived