IGNORED

How long til we get a Flying Lotus thread?

splesh

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did you mean a flying lotus sub forum I dont get it.

yes. i did. a subforum.

Clark sounds like he's playing catchup with all of his IDM idols, never quite hitting stride. FlyLo is doing his own thing, not quite like anything else that anybody's done.

Guest Glass Plate

God I've never gotten a copy cat feel from any of Clark's work and I don't care if there is one that I'm not catching, the music is fucking superb. And to be honest, the progression from Clark's albums has been much more interesting than that of 1986 > LA , though I haven't listened to Cosmogramma in full yet, but the bits I've heard don't sound all that innovative. Clark's last 3 albums have a totally different sound than an one else, where as Flying Lotus is more like Dilla with more synthesizers. That being said I still LOVE flying lotus, but I much prefer Hud Mo, Mike Slott, Dimlite, etc. I think their work is even more interesting and mature than Flying Lotus.

God I've never gotten a copy cat feel from any of Clark's work and I don't care if there is one that I'm not catching, the music is fucking superb. And to be honest, the progression from Clark's albums has been much more interesting than that of 1986 > LA , though I haven't listened to Cosmogramma in full yet, but the bits I've heard don't sound all that innovative. Clark's last 3 albums have a totally different sound than an one else, where as Flying Lotus is more like Dilla with more synthesizers. That being said I still LOVE flying lotus, but I much prefer Hud Mo, Mike Slott, Dimlite, etc. I think their work is even more interesting and mature than Flying Lotus.

Totally agree about Clark...never thought he seemed like a copycat at all. If anything, Clarence Park showed some influences. The rest? Pure Clark.

Not saying Flying Lotus is not unique, but I do like him more than Hudson Mohawk, Mike Slot, and I'd say he's on par with Dimlite.

i agree the flylo is > clark by a mile.

his sound is entirely his own. clarks sound is definitely unique but its closer to being what i think of as "idm music."

cosmogramma is my favorite thing i've heard since that ceephax acid crew album, and possibly the best thing i've heard in years

Guest Glass Plate

I'm sorry but Fly Lo's sound is more directly inspired by an entire genre and movement of music than that of clarks, and if you think other wise it's because you're a cracker ass honky who doesn't listen to the rest of the music from LA and the UK and are just warp bottom feeders.

flylo is not even in the same league as clark. first of all the name, flylo... corny as hell. sorry. clark has several albums and eps under his belt and has been warps most consistent and frequent released artist since 2001 (ae aside obviously). i can not imagine flying lotus still reinventing his genre or even being relevant in 8 years or so.

that being said, however, i do find cosmogramma very good and quite interesting. i will buy it when it comes out and pray to god that the final product sounds much better than that leak.

Guest Jacck

I think Los Angeles is to Flying Lotus as South London is to Burial; his genius comes from his being so in touch with his environment. I mean, the subtle haze of 'Beginners Falafel' that gently undermines its hip hop rhythm is just brilliant when you think about it.

Don't make a watmm subforum for him though... that wouldn't be cool. :sleep:

And to be serious, I think the only serious threads we could get going are label ones: Rephlex, Planet Mu, Warp, etc.

*lovingly gazes at healthy ghost box thread*

Flying Lotus it's alright but can't compare to Clark in my opinion. Body Riddle, Totem's and Empty the bones are too good.

And to be serious, I think the only serious threads we could get going are label ones: Rephlex, Planet Mu, Warp, etc.

I think that's a very good idea.

Guest Glass Plate

Ghost Box isn't nearly active enough.

And half of Warp/Rephlex's rosters already have their own sub forums or lots of discussion. (and most of WATMM seems to hate the other half of warp)

We could turn the Mike Paradina's subforum into the Mu-forum though. haha.

Anybody who can't tell that Clark is doing IDM by numbers doesn't have two functioning ears. FlyLo is the vanguard. Clark release album after album of echoes.

sub forums:

clark

mira calix (the first woman featured on watmm should be mira)

flying lotus

wisp

jackson and his computer band (were gonna need one when that new album drops)

...and of course there are others i could think of (fsol, orb, jega, snares).

we should take suggestions and then make a poll thread to choose the contenders, then a second poll

thread for a run off to choose ten winners.

joyrex would make the final decision (of course) ...maybe

settling on five final choices.

...just an idea

(i can dream can't i)

Guest Backson

sub forums:

jackson and his computer band (were gonna need one when that new album drops)

i think he's a god among men, don't get me wrong, but I don't think he's done enough just yet.

having said that, I would never post in any other part of the forum if they made one.

ps the new album isn't coming. I think we have to accept that.

Archived