IGNORED

Driving while Stoned

Guest Hanratty

i have friends whove smoked so much every day since they were 15 theyve probably driven very little distance without being stoned. i dont really care, weed does such different things to people, there are three people who i wont get into a car with if they are blazed, everyone else tends to drive more slowly and carefully. i have a fair few mates who im happy to let drive me home at the end of an mdma binge they are so careful with it. 2 pints of beer + im going nowhere near the car.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It can be hectic if driving in unfamiliar or heavily trafficated areas, but taking a spin along the beach and country roads is pure delight =D

i tend to drive slower on pot and faster on booze.

ive done it before, and while i dont think its a good idea to drive under the influence of just about anything, its possible to do so safely.

i just remember getting incredibly picky about the air temperature inside teh car, and having a shit ton of trouble picking out decent music.

Guest theSun

i've done it a lot, but i'm never overtired or drunk. i knew a girl who fell asleep one night and rolled her car into a field, was dead by the time any help got there. also known plenty of idiots who drive drunk, a few who got caught and one who crashed through someone's yard/garden/fence (didn't get caught).

there are a ton of distractions when you drive these days from eating to cell phones to music. weed doesn't make me feel like i'm any more distracted than if i'm eating a burger or something, the only part that sucks (b7) is the lighting part combined with manual transmission. that said, whenever you are driving, driving should be your primary concern. it's probably the most dangerous thing we do on a day to day basis, and any distraction makes it that much moreso. so please, smoke em if you got em, but understand that driving is serious business.

also, it absolutely depends on the individual. i know people that are total lightweights and some who have different highs than me. i would not feel comfortable going on a bake cruise with any of them, but of course i know a few people who are like me and can drive stoned as well as sober.

i have been driving for 5 years, 3 years Monday-Friday 30+ minute communte during rush hour. never got any sort of ticket other than 1 parking ticket, hit a deer once but no other accidents. i'd say i'm a good driver.

Guest AcrossCanyons

Everybody reacts differently to different substances. Most people are (usually rightly) scared of driving drunk, but when my dad was around he would drive always drive back from anywhere he had his car with him and had drank, and he always drove exactly the same as he would sober, and he was the best driver I've ever driven with.

I have two close friends who have driven stoned as hell, one of them (who very rarely smokes weed anymore) did it a few times and he had a bit of trouble, had to pull over for a minute a couple of times, the other one is a fairly new driver and the mistakes he makes high are the same as the ones he makes stone sober - because he's not a great driver, not because he's high.

ive done it before, and while i dont think its a good idea to drive under the influence of just about anything, its possible to do so safely.

i just remember getting incredibly picky about the air temperature inside teh car, and having a shit ton of trouble picking out decent music.

lol, exactly

i do a lot of a high driving so i invest a lot of my money in my car to increase the ease of bluntability. I got all my windows set with hotbox grade glass and all my seats reupholstered with velvet. for long drives i also wedge my 4-footer between the passenger seat and the emergency break. The cigarette lighter has been replaced with a grinder/roller combo and the cupholders dont do a lot of holding cups these days. The spedometer goes up to 420 (regardless of speed), and my turn-signals are shaped like weed leaves. I've also premanently loaded the cd-changer with audio-books from alan watts, terrence mckenna and carl sagan and all the seats have built-in sunglasses. I also try to keep a few loose bags of salvia around the car in plain sight for dumb coppers thinkin they smell some funny stuff

Guest Deep Fried Everything

i actually prefer it for longer car trips; it also makes my crappy car stereo easier to tolerate :music:

but yes, as everyone says, everyone reacts differently, so it's best to know your comfort level.

statistically, driving is a big deal, and driving while distracted in any way puts you closer to the ugly side of those statistics

some people i know are less distracted while they are stoned. i don't think there are any good universal rules here.

if everyone could clear their minds of all the extra crap we carry around i think fewer people would die on the road.

I drove at 125mph on acid once. I felt like a was playing a computer game.

YES! But no. I don't ever ever ever recommend driving on acid. Especially 125. I didn't want to, however, the one time i was basically forced to (on a dead country road at night) it was intense. I probably only went 35 mph (lol) but the flat road (i went back and made sure a week later) was the most hilly road I had ever driven on, and the hills wouldn't stop moving underneath me. But yes, it felt EXACTLY like I was playing a video game, but irl video game.

yeah, i was also on a dead country road late at night. i had a car full of my mates (like, 4 in the back, one in the front), all totally fucked on acid and we were listening to gabba full blast. i was in my mum's toyota corolla gti. it was quality.

I drove at 125mph on acid once. I felt like a was playing a computer game.

YES! But no. I don't ever ever ever recommend driving on acid. Especially 125. I didn't want to, however, the one time i was basically forced to (on a dead country road at night) it was intense. I probably only went 35 mph (lol) but the flat road (i went back and made sure a week later) was the most hilly road I had ever driven on, and the hills wouldn't stop moving underneath me. But yes, it felt EXACTLY like I was playing a video game, but irl video game.

yeah, i was also on a dead country road late at night. i had a car full of my mates (like, 4 in the back, one in the front), all totally fucked on acid and we were listening to gabba full blast. i was in my mum's toyota corolla gti. it was quality.

I love picturing this in my head. lol :beer:

The first time I drove stoned my passenger told me I was driving 10 or so miles under the speed limit.

After that I drove stoned all the time. Just gotta be safe and know what you're doing, know your limits. Obviously reaction time is reduced. It's best if you're just cruising around rather than dealing with bumper to bumper traffic conditions or highway speeds, etc.

I'd say, generally speaking, it's safer than alcohol. It doesn't really give you the false feeling of invincibility that alcohol does. You're more laid back.

Coming back to this thread now made me remember another incredibly intense experience I had driving while I was high. I was making a 2 hour trek from my hometown to a recording studio with an old bandmate, back in 2000 or so. He suggested we light up to make the drive more interesting, and we were on the interstate for most of it so I figured why the hell not. All I remember after that is blaring the shit out of Universal Indicator while constantly bobbing and weaving around giant 18 wheeler trucks going over 90 MPH. It was insane.

For reference, this was the track I remember specifically enjoying the fuck out of. Those panning hats are like nothing else!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs8e1dj3J_s

Coming back to this thread now made me remember another incredibly intense experience I had driving while I was high. I was making a 2 hour trek from my hometown to a recording studio with an old bandmate, back in 2000 or so. He suggested we light up to make the drive more interesting, and we were on the interstate for most of it so I figured why the hell not. All I remember after that is blaring the shit out of Universal Indicator while constantly bobbing and weaving around giant 18 wheeler trucks going over 90 MPH. It was insane.

For reference, this was the track I remember specifically enjoying the fuck out of. Those panning hats are like nothing else!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs8e1dj3J_s

he he nice

Archived