Guest Greg Reason

Guest Apeofnaples

I like that track, T-Hu Ri Toh right? Reminds me of Teenage Lightning in a way. I would love to create a video for it but I'd need a load of robots, like the battered left overs from AI.

Even if the next Soisong is two solo records each called Soisong (!) I'll be ready to cough up the dough.

Guest Greg Reason

I think it will be a while yet!! I don't know whether he's even got the new instruments made for it

Edited by Greg Reason

Guest Greg Reason

Colour Sound Oblivion has arrived!!! (Teenage) Lightning fast shipping when it finally was put in the post! Took three days to get from Thailand to Brisbane.

I have to say this is very well worth the admittedly high price that was charged. The set is absolutely gorgeous and everything inside is made to the finest standards. The cloth bags for the DVDs are ridiculous, it's just so lavish it's almost unbelievable. There's a signed dedication from Sleaz in there, a copy of Balance's funeral rites and a small booklet filled with Sleazy's recollections of their touring experiences.

And then there (literally) a hundred and one postcards and the DVDs themselves... This thing is massive.

Guest Z_B_Z

fuuuck that looks amazing. whats the reconstruction kit like? would love to read some of your thoughts on the shows as you make it through the box set..

Guest Greg Reason

I watched the first Reconstruction Kit DVD last night. Well, watched half of it and let half of it provide a background to what I was doing. It's very very good, every song they ever did live presented as a backing track with accompanying visuals, except for 'Wraiths and Strays' because Peter built it largely upon a sample of a band called Kings of Woolworths.

The visuals are mostly excellent - some of it is a little tacky but if you know Sleaz then you know what he's into - and the backings are really really good. I'm not sure how you'd extract the audio though but if you can rout your main outputs to your recording inputs then you'd be right

I've only watched one of the live DVDs so far, it was fan-shot but the footage is fairly good and it was pretty engaging for so ill conceived a documentation. From what he's described, much of the box is comprised of fan-sourced footage like that but if the general standard is like what I jut saw then it is very much a worthwhile endeavour.

Edited by Greg Reason

Guest Z_B_Z

i assume the reconstruction kit will only be available with the set. i know sleazy said that he plans on making the shows for sale individually in the future, so it looks like thats the only way im going to be able to see some of them.. id love to have clean copies of the moscow, new york and paris shows at the very least.

Guest Greg Reason

i assume the reconstruction kit will only be available with the set. i know sleazy said that he plans on making the shows for sale individually in the future, so it looks like thats the only way im going to be able to see some of them.. id love to have clean copies of the moscow, new york and paris shows at the very least.

Yeah the Moscow show seems to me to be the definitive live Coil performance. I did watch the extra footage on that DVD and gave the feature a quick viewing - it's video sourced so while this is the cleanest version you'll get it's still a little grainy. Sounds bloody fantastic though. And Ivan's backstage/soundcheck footage is really good to see, it's odd seeing Jhonn laughing and playing around during the day and then you see the show and he looks possessed... There's great footage of Thighpaulsandra trying to lift Jhonn's shirt and Balance grabs his hands, "I'll break your fingers! You won't be able to play piano!"

Guest Z_B_Z

lol awesome. hopefully i wont have to wait too long for individual dvds.. massive respect to sleazy for what looks like a true labor of love. i loled at this-

The boxes are heavier than we thought they would be (partly my fault - I kept adding extra stuff!) and the pound has lost 10% of it value against the Thai baht since we set the shipping rates in the store, so each time they pick up 200 or more boxes, I'm handing over as much as $20,000 in cash - more than we actually charged you in the first place (and the lucky Patron's got shipung free, but never mind ;-)

I don't usually keep that much cash in my pocket (or even my bank account) so special arrangements have had to be made!

Also in Thailand $20K in cash is WAY too much temptation for the van driver just to throw the boxes into the canal, quit his job, and disappear with the cash into the country, where with that amount, he could build a nice house for his family, and buy a truck to go with it…

Guest Greg Reason

The Mutek DVD is wonderful. Way better than I expected to be honest, because it was one of their two-piece shows (featuring Sleazy and Thighpaulsandra) because Balance had gone off his rocker and didn't bother with it. They do five songs and it's just amazing. I'd heard it before and I didn't think that watching two guys twiddling knobs for an hour would be very engaging but Sleaz has managed to make a very watchable DVD out of this. And it sounds great. Very cool for people who like the electronic/avant-garde side of Coil but aren't so keen on the rambling.

Oh yeah and the projection setup for this show was brilliant. Massive screen behind them, projections on the ceiling and a line of lights behind them. Would have been killer to be there

Edited by Greg Reason

Guest Z_B_Z

i had a friend that was at that show, man i was jealous.

i like listening to the mutek show but the quality of the boot isnt so great so usually i just end up listening to the porto show instead, which is similar and also balanceless.

Guest Greg Reason

Yeah they both had the same setlist. Off the top of my head I think it was Blue Rats, The Universe is a Haunted House, Triple Sun, Radio Westin (Wraiths and Strays) and The First Five Minutes After Violent Death.

Guest Apeofnaples

Thanks! Just a doss really. There is an interview with Stephen Thrower in this months Fangoria talking about Coil's "lost" Hellraiser sound track.

Guest Scrambled Ears

woah the creepiest part of that is him laying in bed

re: asian boys, I can tell you some stories (that i've heard from angry psychic tv members)

lol can you record them and we'll make a watmm compilation album musick to play in the dark vol.3