Guest dese manz hatin

No topic yet?

There's way too much to say about Bob Dylan...so let's just start with a video

[vimeo]8340745[/vimeo]

Guest -Ad-

No topic yet?

[vimeo]8340745[/vimeo]

Weird...I just this second queued that up in Winamp. What's even more weird is that I've never listened to Dylan and thought I'd give him a go this afternoon.

Anyway, once I've listened to Visions of Johanna, where the hell do I go next?

No topic yet?

[vimeo]8340745[/vimeo]

Weird...I just this second queued that up in Winamp. What's even more weird is that I've never listened to Dylan and thought I'd give him a go this afternoon.

Anyway, once I've listened to Visions of Johanna, where the hell do I go next?

thats who you experience most of his music imho :smile:

If you liked Johanna, start with the whole album blonde on blonde, then the times they are a-changin and Highway 61

The Ballad of Hollis Brown is a track of God Like Genius.

That was one of the first Dylan tracks I ever heard so I was naturaly hooked straight away. It didn't bother me that the music was awful or his voice wasn't really something you would want to listen to. The spell-binding imagery that he evokes with his lyrics was what it was all about. When I listen to the Ballad of Hollis Brown I am one of those 7 breezes blowing all around the cabin door. Or the coyote calling way out in the wilderness.

I go through phases of Dylan, I might not play him for a year or more. Then I play his records all the time.

What's strange is is that I don't like Blonde on Blonde. Even when I was going through my biggest phase of Dylan I thought that album was awful. Nothing on it grabs me, and I went back a few years later to try again and was the same.

I always liked the story behind Bob Dylan - the documentaries and whatnot.

That being said, I could never get into his music by itself so much.

Criminal

Guest Rabid

That was one of the first Dylan tracks I ever heard so I was naturaly hooked straight away. It didn't bother me that the music was awful or his voice wasn't really something you would want to listen to.

Haha yeah. Say what you want about the actual music, but dylan brought a level of soul to music that's so incredibly rare. One of my favorite artists ever.

Criminal

I'm just being honest.

I remember listening to the Nashiville Skyline album a bit when I got it, but his voice was different on that album from temporarily quitting smoking or something I think.

I kind of feel guilty about not being that into him. He's some one I should be into along with all the other '60s music I like. Even more guilty - some of his songs I really like, but when performed by others. :facepalm: Also I enjoy a lot of music by others that I know was inspired by him.

What can I say. If something doesn't turn your crank, then it doesn't.. :cisfor:

I got about 400 Dylan bootlegs, went to see him almost 20 times now.... and I always want more. All those NET shows... fucking amazing each of them.

It's a new version, a new phrasing, a new arrangement, of each song, almost every night.

That was one of the first Dylan tracks I ever heard so I was naturaly hooked straight away. It didn't bother me that the music was awful or his voice wasn't really something you would want to listen to. The spell-binding imagery that he evokes with his lyrics was what it was all about. When I listen to the Ballad of Hollis Brown I am one of those 7 breezes blowing all around the cabin door. Or the coyote calling way out in the wilderness.

A few weeks ago I was in a The Ballad of Hollis Brown phase. I listened to it like twenty times a day, every day, and every single listen I'd get chills. I usually think of myself as an observer though -- feeling the seven breezes, hearing the coyote outside, looking at the shotgun that's hanging on the wall -- feeling Hollis Brown's helplessness. There's so much to be said about this particular song that I find myself sort of overwhelmed thinking about starting to talk about it.

What I love about Bob Dylan is how unrefined it is, at first glance. Any lack of tangible virtuosity in Bob Dylan's music is more than made up for by his absolute power as a lyricist. Of course that's not to say that everything Bob Dylan has produced is so intense in depth; there are many sides to Dylan!

darkness at the break of noon,

shadows even the silver spoon

the handmade blade, the child’s balloon

eclipses both the sun and moon

to understand you know too soon

there is no sense in trying

My adventure through Dylan's repertoire probably started with Rainy Day Woman. (And, much like how my adventure into electronic music started, so many years ago, with Dieselboy, I feel almost ashamed at having been so taken with such relatively crude selections from what was possible to select from!). I remember really enjoying almost everything on Highway 61 and Bringing It All Back Home. Shortly after that, someone gave me The Bootleg Series and I was fascinated with that for a while (still listening to the first two though). Right now, tracks like The Ballad Of Frankie Lee And Judas Priest and Only A Pawn In Their Game and Moonshiner and The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll are what I find myself going back to.

All that being said, I have to admit that I am the elitist snob type who doesn't like "the band" -- though I'd never call him Judas!

Guest dese manz hatin

A few weeks ago I was in a The Ballad of Hollis Brown phase. I listened to it like twenty times a day, every day, and every single listen I'd get chills. I usually think of myself as an observer though -- feeling the seven breezes, hearing the coyote outside, looking at the shotgun that's hanging on the wall -- feeling Hollis Brown's helplessness. There's so much to be said about this particular song that I find myself sort of overwhelmed thinking about starting to talk about it.

What I love about Bob Dylan is how unrefined it is, at first glance. Any lack of tangible virtuosity in Bob Dylan's music is more than made up for by his absolute power as a lyricist. Of course that's not to say that everything Bob Dylan has produced is so intense in depth; there are many sides to Dylan!

My adventure through Dylan's repertoire probably started with Rainy Day Woman. (And, much like how my adventure into electronic music started, so many years ago, with Dieselboy, I feel almost ashamed at having been so taken with such relatively crude selections from what was possible to select from!). I remember really enjoying almost everything on Highway 61 and Bringing It All Back Home. Shortly after that, someone gave me The Bootleg Series and I was fascinated with that for a while (still listening to the first two though). Right now, tracks like The Ballad Of Frankie Lee And Judas Priest and Only A Pawn In Their Game and Moonshiner and The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll are what I find myself going back to.

I know this is a bold statement, but is it just me or has Dylan actually written some of the finest lines among 20th century poetry? Not necessarily the absolutley deepest...just look at the sheer beauty of these last verses of Mister Tambourine Man

Then take me disappearin’ through the smoke rings of my mind

Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves

The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach

Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free

Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands

With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves

Let me forget about today until tomorrow

Those lines will never get old. Or It's all over now, baby blue:

The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense

Take what you have gathered from coincidence

The empty-handed painter from your streets

Is drawing crazy patterns on your sheets

This sky, too, is folding under you

And it’s all over now, Baby Blue

You could obviously go on with this for hours...

Criminal

I'm just being honest.

I remember listening to the Nashiville Skyline album a bit when I got it, but his voice was different on that album from temporarily quitting smoking or something I think.

I kind of feel guilty about not being that into him. He's some one I should be into along with all the other '60s music I like. Even more guilty - some of his songs I really like, but when performed by others. :facepalm: Also I enjoy a lot of music by others that I know was inspired by him.

What can I say. If something doesn't turn your crank, then it doesn't.. :cisfor:

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about him, too.

I like Nashville Skyline and that's about it. In my opinion, it helps a lot to have Johhny Cash on your record.

Seriously though, Bob's voice does sound much nicer to me on that LP than on his others. There is a lot about the production that I like more, too. Especially the groovy drums.

I know this is a bold statement, but is it just me or has Dylan actually written some of the finest lines among 20th century poetry? Not necessarily the absolutley deepest...just look at the sheer beauty of these last verses of Mister Tambourine Man

Then take me disappearin’ through the smoke rings of my mind

Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves

The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach

Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free

Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands

With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves

Let me forget about today until tomorrow

Those lines will never get old. Or It's all over now, baby blue:

The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense

Take what you have gathered from coincidence

The empty-handed painter from your streets

Is drawing crazy patterns on your sheets

This sky, too, is folding under you

And it’s all over now, Baby Blue

You could obviously go on with this for hours...

100% agreed. Even reading those lines (for the 1000+ time) from Mr Tamborine Man made me gulp and feel a wave of emotion. There's few things more beautiful I have ever read.

Darkness at the break of noon

Shadows even the silver spoon

The handmade blade, the child’s balloon

Eclipses both the sun and moon

To understand you know too soon

There is no sense in trying

Pointed threats, they bluff with scorn

Suicide remarks are torn

From the fool’s gold mouthpiece the hollow horn

Plays wasted words, proves to warn

That he not busy being born is busy dying

Guest Rabid

I'm so in love with Tangerine Man it's not even funny. Great lyrics indeed. Bringing it All Back Home is actually my favorite Dylan album - was also my first, which may be why. "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream" where he starts the song by himself without the other guys realizing, and they crack up laughing... ahaha.

Archived