IGNORED

Why do PS2/XBOX Games look So Horrible On HDTV's

Guest PWSTEAL

Guest PWSTEAL

Why do PS2/XBOX games (or anything that isn't HD Content) Look so Horrible on HDTV's (LCD/Plasma). It sucks because Sometimes I want to play some PS2 games, but they just look so horrible on my TV. (And I know it's not just my TV, everyone I know who owns HDTV's claims that PS2/XBOX/Non-HD content looks like crap on their HDTV's) HDTV's are great for HD Conent (Witch I own), but is horrible for non-HD conent, and I want to know why?

:rtfm:

Guest PWSTEAL

Doesn't this piss anyone off though?

I mean, it sucks having your PS2 games look horrible...

Guest Rambo

its a bit like you know when you are sitting in a room and it's quite peaceful but if you had like really advanced ears the soft fan sounds from your laptop would sound horrific and loud

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

its pretty easy to understand, no offense but im kinda surprised anyone posting on here wouldn't be able to find the reasoning high definition tv's make standard definition media look shitty. SD tv's blur out the pixelation makin really undefined crappy video look buttery good, where HD tv's reveal the low resolution pixelation

doesnt need anymore explanation than that

thats why its not bad to have a SD TV laying around for anything thats not hi def

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

even if an HD tv is scaling the resolution correctly a good crystal clear tv is gonna make really low definition media look really pixelated blocky jones unless you can turn down the sharpness drastically and blur the low def shittyness into a banana smoothy

Guest Space Coyote

I wonder how PS2 games running on the few PS3's with backward compatibility would compair to a PS2 running the same game. There's meant to be *some* upscaling done by the PS3

its pretty easy to understand, no offense but im kinda surprised anyone posting on here wouldn't be able to find the reasoning high definition tv's make standard definition media look shitty. SD tv's blur out the pixelation makin really undefined crappy video look buttery good, where HD tv's reveal the low resolution pixelation

Yep exactly.

It's not dissimilar to if you have crappy headphones and listen to something like 128kbps mp3s, they'll probably sound OK. However if you then get super-awesome spangely headphones you'll notice that the mp3s actually sound like shite.

Yep exactly.

It's not dissimilar to if you have crappy headphones and listen to something like 128kbps mp3s, they'll probably sound OK. However if you then get super-awesome spangely headphones you'll notice that the mp3s actually sound like shite.

it's the antialiasing shite i hate. if my pixels are massive, they might as well look like big black squares, not fuzzy black-ish blobs.

What happens is to the same effect as opening a picture on your computer. Normally looking at the pitcutre its seems smooth and crisp. Start zooming in on the picture though and the quality starts to suck.

Same thing happens when you play SD Games with an SD Resolution on HD TV's with an HD Resolution. The games are small in resolution and are being stretched on the HD screens to fit its large resolution. PS3 attempted to up scale PS2 games so they would not be as big of a stretch.

What's been said here is all true, but if you're going to play ps2/xbox games on a HD display, use a component cable if you don't already. It's not magical but it helps somewhat. Some xbox games even support 720p over component.

Ah this pisses me off as well. Obviously it's because the games weren't designed to run at that high scale resolution so the effect is similar to enlarging a low size image from google or something. Try playing 007 Goldeneye for N64 on a 52" HD lol.

Guest Space Coyote

Some xbox games even support 720p over component.

There's two ps2 games that do too I think

Guest PWSTEAL

Yeah, one day I was trying to play Resident Evil 4,

and it ended up looking like Resident Evil pixel poop smudge.

All the textures were smudgy as hell.

I wonder how PS2 games running on the few PS3's with backward compatibility would compair to a PS2 running the same game. There's meant to be *some* upscaling done by the PS3

The upscaler on the old PS3s is/was pretty good; I had no issues playing Dragon Quest VIII - looked great (this was via HDMI), and I wondered the same thing, so I ran the same game on my PS2 slim via Component (RGB) cables and looked about the same, but with less definition in text and vertical lines.

Some xbox games even support 720p over component.

There's two ps2 games that do too I think

There's quite a lot, actually...

Archived