IGNORED

The Hobbit loses Guillermo Del Toro

Rubin Farr

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For hollywood action type films or something like Prometheus/The Hobbit I don't approach them with the same kind of mindset that I would of something like Eyes Wide Shut or There Will Be Blood/The Master. I view them more as external reflection of todays culture whether consciously or not... so Avatar for example was a story told a million times and its creatures weren't original but more a slight twist. There isn't any subtly or art behind this approach but in addition to its visual breakthrough (to some) the moment when an audience shares an emotional bound is when concepts such as American foreign policy and Environmental laws have impact on ignorance... despite it lacking subtly, it makes obvious social and cultural topics a bit clearer to some who may have not put much thought into the subject. So that is not to say Avatar is some kind of revolutionary work of art because its not saying anything unique or intellectually complex, but it does achieve the goal of delivering emotion (as noted by its huge box office success). Perhaps something people specifically brought older family members to, so they could share agreement on something they typically would argue about? Getting a bit wordy now, I enjoyed Prometheus because I felt its emotional/climatic build was agnostic, which I think disappoints people because it lacks any kind of exciting belief... (spoilers) but I enjoyed how our creator kills pretty much everyone and how lame/flawed people were compared to the robot. I think this reflects positive ideas to society and watching it in that manner does add some subtly of control over aesthetics and art direction choices. So a bit interesting to re-watch.

My beard is getting quite long; I think for Halloween I'm going to try to split it in two, then braid each part into the other, to have a proper dward circle beard!

Ok, forget the hype around the Jackson's Hobbit, because we made a better one. Here's the trailer:

You might also see me playing in there, but do watch it first, before I reveal my part...

• 1 month later...

Archived