IGNORED

E3 2010

data

gabe newell walking out on the sony stage was the biggest e3 surprise for me, and the portal 2 teaser looked great.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sony's conference wasn't bad, but it was definitely boring. Lack of The Last Guardian, Agent, and Final Fantasy versus 13 is disappointing. Very happy that Portal 2 is coming to the PS3. Very fucking happy about that.

I definitely want a Wii now... Metroid looks FUCKING AMAZING.

Killzone 3 looks pretty damn generic. Nice graphics though.

You obviously never played Killzone 2. Hardly generic.

http://kotaku.com/5564183/checking-out-metal-gear-solid-on-the-nintendo-3ds

My eyes were not focused on the 3DS while watching this video.

Nintendo DDs :emotawesomepm9:

so PS Move is $80 but Kinect is $150, WTF is with that? Sony will beat MS to store shelves AND undercut them on price. MS just realized they will have to throw in a full game, LOL.

Kinect definitely has waay more potential though.. right? (whether it fully realizes that potential or not) PS move is some plastic wands and kinect has a microphone, 3d camera that auto adjust follows the users skeleton's, in which those combined yield much more possibilities and make the price difference completely understandable

Perhaps, but the biggest hurdle I see with MS is not only the price, but how do you convince a consumer that they don't need a controller to control a game? People just aren't that up to date on gesture recognition yet (look at how long it took touch interfaces to get where they are with the market; it's still not a standard), so I can see the price coupled with people "not getting it" as barriers to entry for MS. Sony, on the other hand has the task of proving why their Move is not just another Nintendo Wii-like device, and for those consumers not impressed by the Wii (contrary to what Nintendo's NPD figures say, I know more people with dusty Wiis (ha) that fit Nintendo's "misconception" than what they purport to be the case). Sony and MS will both have to have hands-on (or off, in MS's case) demos in stores to prove to consumers their new addons are worth the asking price. I'm personally intrigued by both, but being a PS3 owner, I think the Move will deliver what the Wii could not, and possibly more with the added camera interaction and virtual mapping of objects to the controllers.

Medal of Honor is fucking badass - takes a mighty shit all over CoD, and I'm a lover of CoD.

More screenshots of the new Zelda show some interesting environments:

linkfoe_action_460.jpg

1757.jpg

0.jpg

Don't fucking troll the E3 thread. LOL :emotawesomepm9:

So, 2010: Nintendo did much better than I would have ever expected, Sony didn't show me the games I wanted to see, the only big surprise was Gabe Newell (pun intended). Microsoft failed miserably (although mgs rising looks pretty badass).

Guest PWSTEAL

All I really care about is...

Metal Gear Solid: Rising

Dead Space 2

Infamous 2

:gamer:

I think it's really cool though that the PS3 version of "Dead Space 2" will come with "Dead Space Extraction".

And I think it's really cool that the PS3 version of "Medal of Honor",

will come with a Upscaled HD version of "MOH:Frontline".

And it's cool to see that "Twisted Metal" is coming to the PS3.

Hands On Preview with Nintendo 3DS from Kotaku

It feels like a sleight of hand, of mind, of eye: But hold Nintendo's 3DS in front of you, turn it on and the top screen drops away turning the imagined world 3D.

There are some kinks that still need to be worked out for the upcoming, glasses-free 3D gaming device. The window in which 3D looks 3D on that screen and doesn't appear fuzzy or make you feel cross-eyed, is extremely narrow.

Hold the device too close, too far, tilt it too much in either direction and the magic is gone.

But hold it just right and your perceptions change, the game is 3D, without glasses. Without glasses. It sounds unbelievable, and when it works it is unbelievable.

I tried out sevendifferent demos on the system and they all offered interesting different bits of information.

The 3DS will be able to play real Hollywood movies in 3D without the need for glasses. I checked out a trailer for one and was as impressed as I am when I watch a Real 3D movie. Which is to say, not very. The 3D feels painted on, used to highlights bits of the screen, certain objects, but not to create an entirely 3D experience. But that's not the fault of the 3DS or Nintendo, that's all up to the movie makers.

Next I checked out an interactive trailer for Metal Gear Solid in 3D. The jungle popped in 3D. Leaves brushed up against the camera. I could adjust the point of view just slightly with the analog thumbstick. It was a neat way to show off how subtle 3D can be on this system. And how, even as a subtle addition, the effect has an amazing impact.

Next was Resident Evil. This is when I ran into my first issue. I started off the cutscene with the 3DS resting on the table, but in my hands. It was a bit further away from my face then it typically would be when playing. The impact was horrendous. It felt like I had gone permanently cross eyed. It made my stomach flop slightly and my eyes quickly tried to correct what they were seeing. I used the slider on the face of the 3DS to turn the 3D down but it didn't help. They I tried moving the 3DS slightly closer and suddenly the game's images synched and the world was amazingly deep.

I tried putting the screen even closer to my face, moving it way too close and the image went double again. Tilting the 3DS or moving it to either side made the image fuzzy.

There is, I learned, a 3D sweet-spot for the 3DS, a bubble in which the image is perfect and deep. Outside the bubble things go wrong.

Next I tried out a neat little Nintendo demo that showed 3D sculptures. I could use the slider to move around the images. This was the best looking demo of the bunch. Well almost, certainly the best looking game demo.

Nintendogs and Cats had a neat effect, using the bottom screen to let you interact with the 3D pets and throw objects. But the 3D didn't blow me away. It was, though, still very solid, deep 3D.

Next I checked out the Kid Icarus trailer, now in full 3D. I was impressed with how seemingly powerful the system must be to deliver this level of gameplay and graphics all in 3D.

The most impressive thing I saw this morning, though, was the 3DS' camera. The ability to take a picture in 3D and then view it in 3D seconds later may sound like a gimick. But it's the sort of gimick that will require a hunt for your socks afterward.

When you activate the camera you use the thumbstick to slide back and forth on what you want the focal point to be in the image. So you can make the thing closest to you in focus or the thing in the back. Once you snap the pic you can look at it on that top screen.

The effect is astounding. I took a picture of the woman who had the 3DS padlocked to her waist. She's smiling and has her hands up. The hands feel like they're popping out of the screen, behind the room just goes on and on.

It's astounding.

I'm impressed that the Nintendo girls actually know stuff about the Nintendo 3DS. I went to an exhibition back in 2006 before the Wii was launched where I got to play Wii Sports, Zelda, Wario Smooth Moves, and Red Steel and when the people who handed over the Wii-mote and Nunchuck knew absolutely nothing about the Wii. So yeah, great job, Nintendo.

So, 2010: Nintendo did much better than I would have ever expected, Sony didn't show me the games I wanted to see, the only big surprise was Gabe Newell (pun intended). Microsoft failed miserably (although mgs rising looks pretty badass).

E3 isn't over though. I wonder if mgs4 will be ported to 360 as well? Portal 2 on ps3 makes me very happy, as my computer won't handle it and I don't have a 360.

look awesome:

rez sequel (so far the only game that even begins to approach the TRULY interesting ARTISTIC possibilities of this "next gen" that i've seen at E3

if anybody knows more stuff like that coming out, point me to it!

look good:

zelda

kirby

?

Guest Gary C

The 3DS? Is it not the sort of 3D where it looks like it's coming out of the screen then?

It's just a movable 3D environment in the game?

my mate pete is at it, he's a games journo (lucky fucker)

pete on facebook a few hours ago

Killzone 3 is the best looking game ive ever seen. And the 3d works

and he plays a LOT of games lol :gamer:

The 3DS? Is it not the sort of 3D where it looks like it's coming out of the screen then?

It's just a movable 3D environment in the game?

The screen throws two images at you stereoscopicly. There's a "sweet spot" where the angle of the left eye sees one image on the screen and filters out the other image. Right eye sees other image. It's a little finnicky and you have to keep it withing a certain distance/angle, but apparently works quite well once it's in the right "bubble" in relation to where your eyes are.

Not a fan of the look of MvsC3, wish they cartoon-shaded it, I understand they're using a ink filter but it would work better against flat colors, don't understand why they're going for a 90's Marvel comic-book look. The gameplay seems awesome though, much smoother than MvsC2.

The new Rayman looks lush! It's like an animated cartoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwrHV43RR64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQLpU0T-Sow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=245zrNHvDNk

I don't know if these have been posted here yet, but it seems like they overhauled everything in Source, particularly animation and physics. interested to see how quickly they're going to roll out an SDK for modders

also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJerZFt3eXk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQLpU0T-Sow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=245zrNHvDNk

I don't know if these have been posted here yet, but it seems like they overhauled everything in Source, particularly animation and physics. interested to see how quickly they're going to roll out an SDK for modders

also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJerZFt3eXk

*asplodes*

Didn't Nintendo say the 3DS would have better graphics than an Xbox 1? Shit looks worse than a PSP. Which is six fucking years old.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

cant wait for Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and Portal 2

really surprised how cool the gameplay on that ps3 metal gear solid game looked choppin shit up

Didn't Nintendo say the 3DS would have better graphics than an Xbox 1? Shit looks worse than a PSP. Which is six fucking years old.

Go look up Metal Gear Solid 3 for the 3DS.

cant wait for Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and Portal 2

really surprised how cool the gameplay on that ps3 metal gear solid game looked choppin shit up

It's on 360 as well. :beer:

Archived